Astrology and Relationships

Channelwood

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
As to homeopathy.... It isn't bullshit. It may not cure you of anything, but the principle behind it actually is true. Even when a dilution reaches the point of being molecularly undetectable, the dilute solution behaves as if it was still in the presence of the original diluted material. And as homeopaths claim, the effect become more pronounced with greater dilution.
1) Why Water "Clumping" Does Not Support Homeopathy clearly points out (including a quote from one of the researchers cited) that the laboratory effect observed has nothing to do with "the dilute solution behav[ing] as if it was still in the presence of the original diluted material."

2) You've also misinterpreted the most basic point of the research.

"German chemist Kurt Geckeler and his colleague Shashadhar Samal stumbled on their discovery while studying football–shaped molecules called fullerenes at the Kwangju Institute of Science and Technology in South Korea, New Scientist magazine reported last night. They found that the molecules not the water kept forming untidy aggregates in solution, and Geckeler asked Samal to look for ways to control the clumping.
Geckeler said: "When he diluted the solution, the size of the fullerene particles not the water increased. It was completely counter–intuitive." Further experiments showed that the phenomenon was no fluke. The same effect was seen with a sugar–like molecule called cyclodextrin, the organic molecule guanosine monophosphate, DNA, and sodium chloride – common table salt. All substances in the water, not the water itself

Dilution made the molecules cluster into aggregates five to 10 times bigger than those in the original solutions."

The anomolous effect has to do with unexpecting clumping of molecules in solution upon dilution, not on any special properties imparted to the water.

If "a dilution reaches the point of being molecularly undetectable" then there are no molecules or aggregates in it, and the above research cannot be used to speciously imply that water has a memory.

3) "And as homeopaths claim, the effect become more pronounced with greater dilution." But homeopaths claim effects can occur when none of the original material is left. This is not supported by this research.

So if I take water from a stream (that has trace amounts of virtually every known chemical and element) and dilute it again and again it will become an incredibly potent concoction producing all the helpful and harmful effects from each one of its constituent dilutants? Really?

Tell you what. Name the most potent homepathic poison available. I'll go buy a bottle and dilute it again myself a hundred times to make it even more potent. Then I'll drink a quart of it. (Or is it a drop of it? I don't know how this magic is supposed to work. Which has more pronounced effect, a lot of homepathic solution or a tiny bit of it?) Then I'll let you know how I feel.

4) This research was done in 2001. No Earth-shattering news in the world of homeopathy yet ...

Sorry, homeopathy just doesn't hold water.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I've never really been much of a believer in astrology, but I've had my chart done a couple of times by friends who do believe in it. They both came out with almost identical comments and mentioned times in my past when conjunctions and whatever indicated that important events had happened, which were pretty accurate.

One of my friends also did a synestry (sp?) for myself and my other half shortly after we got together. She said it was the most scarily balanced chart she'd ever done. Allegedly, we compliment each other almost perfectly. I'm Taurus, he's Virgo and supposedly everything bodes well for us. We've been together now for over 14 years and have only argued four times. Our friends never thought we'd last because we're just too different, both in personality and interests, but they've been wrong so far.

I don't know how accurate astrology is, but in the absence of proof, I'm not going to discount it completely because some of its claims have been accurate. It may just be luck, but what the hell? I don't make decisions based on it - I've never gone for the predictive side, only the retrospective - so as far as I'm concerned, it's a bit of harmless fun.

B_OtterJoq

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I do tarot readings for free and I interpret the cards as openly and honestly as I can.

As to homeopathy.... It isn't bullshit. It may not cure you of anything, but the principle behind it actually is true. Even when a dilution reaches the point of being molecularly undetectable, the dilute solution behaves as if it was still in the presence of the original diluted material. And as homeopaths claim, the effect become more pronounced with greater dilution.

I'll believe it when I can see reproduceable evidence. Thus far, I've seen none.

Why are people so gullible?

FlowerChick

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
People will believe what they want to believe, subject to experience, culture, influence, desire, etc. That's what makes everyone so different. There is no black and white in life, it's always grey with some vibrant color in the mix. People who live in a black and white world, are really missing out on the pleasure of life and all that encompasses. Celebrate our differences in thinking, appearances, our backgrounds, our goals, our lives.. you'll be a happier, you'll likely be a more satisifed, fulfilled person.

Now go buy some flowers for yourself or someone you enjoy, and celebrate beauty!

I'll believe it when I can see reproduceable evidence. Thus far, I've seen none.

Why are people so gullible?

Had you clicked on the link, you would have read a scientific study published in a peer reviewed journal that shows the dilution effect is true. It's reproducible as well.