Astrology Big Fat Fib or Naught but the God's Honest?

the_reverend

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
But given all that, what I don't believe is that Astrology is based on any empirical observations, nor is it based on any theory that matches empirical observations. So although I believe there are "more things in heaven and earth that are dreamed of in our philosophies", I don't count astrology as an accurate example of that.

empirical was probably the wrong word for me to use, but if there is some relationship between personality and birth time, either causal or incidental, there would be those who would observe such tendencies and make note of them, leading to the eventual development of figuring out that when the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars then peace shall guide the planets and love will rule the stars. :wink:

jason's comment that astrology is more likely to show tendencies than absolutes is closer to what i was trying to say. only less pretentious because he didn't need to quote Shakespeare twice in order to do it. :biggrin1:

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
On a related note I went to see a fairly well publicised psychic, I didn't go because I had any troubles in my life (and at that time wouldn't for a good ten years or so other than day to day niggles), I went simply because my wildly superstitious friend wanted me to go and asked me to come with him - he did at that time have all the problems that make people want answers (marriage problems, business problems, family problems). I was well aware of the implication of body language so during my visit with this psychic I sat absolutely still, kept my eyes downcast and just listened - in short tried to give her as few clues as possible. During the fairly lengthy sitting she was unable to come up with one specific detail that related to my life and all her predictions for the future were wrong. She guessed I was married (the wedding ring may have been a clue) she got every fact about my marriage, my life, my family wrong. The predictions she'd made for the coming years proved to be wrong too. She'd assumed because I'd gone there that I must have had some problems, a woman of my age was much more likely to have some problems than others so she was simply playng the odds. However, my friend was amazed when she was able to predict that his marriage was in trouble, his business was in trouble etc - and to cap it all he found it startling when she told him his mother was a dark woman, the odds on her guessing an Arab man would have a dark mother are so slight I have to agree with him :) Our meetings with her were taped, on closer inspection he'd just blanked everything out she'd got wrong and blown out of all proportion the few things she'd got right which added up to no more than statistical odds from guessing, a poor show really given the wild display of enthusiasm I know he'd have been giving her when she was on the right track.

If people want to believe they will, they can blank out ten incorrect things and focus on one very vague good guess. People who practise this jiggery pokery are better than most of us at reading people.

In my view this kind of crap should be made illegal, someone 'communicating' with a dead loved one might feel they were being given comfort, what they are being given is a load of lies that just draw out their misery while these manipulators prey on their vulnerability.

Astrology isn't as bad as this, it's fairly harmless, but it's every bit as fake in my view.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That's how many false beliefs and farces work in this world. Including those designed to bring in large profits...

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
... on closer inspection he'd just blanked everything out she'd got wrong and blown out of all proportion the few things she'd got right which added up to no more than statistical odds from guessing,...
This is a very important point. Humans are very good at this. It might have even been useful 10,000 years ago. But now it is the crux of enduring superstition.

This is me in spades. It's not that I try to be, who would want it? Hell, I bought my first tarot cards as a preteen! I love swamps too. My favorite color is purple. There's a lot of weirdness involved in being a Pisces. I don't recommend it for the ambitious.

Nrets

Experimental Member
Media
I just dug this thread up because I have become very much into astrology in the past 2 months. I am surprised there are not more threads on here about astrology, as there are many inquisitive people here.
Perhaps there are other threads on the matter, but in my hasty ariesness I went with this one since it poped up first.
Now I will ramble on and on and nervously even because of my Virgo moonness.
I just want to throw it out to people who say astrology is a crock that I accurately guessed two peoples signs in as many days a couple months back.
Someone had told me something about how Capricorns react to Aries in an argument and I was arguing with two people on differnet days and afterwards when I asked their sign...Capricorn!
I still refer to astrology as bullshit to annoy the people who are all into it, but I am starting to believe it.
And btw, spoiled princess, I understand where you are coming from not believing in astrology as I used to feel the same way, the thing I realized recently is, that if it is true.....there are basically endless different permutations between sun and moon and planets and rising star that do make everyone unique.

It is my guess that many psychics are purely hype, but every once and a while there is probably someone very real clairvoyant like you see in the movies, but I wouldn't count on finding those people without traveling.
Never been to a psychic...someone loaned me a book called "the only astrology book you will ever need" by joanna Woolfolk. It has made astrology seem relevant to me.