Astrology

S

superbot

People who believe in this bollocks have the nerve to denegrate most of the worlds religions!! Says it all!

conchis

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
wow, the advent of the antichrist :)

why it's so easy to be very serious and so hard to be serious?

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

Account Disabled
Media
I believe in it to the extent that we play a part in creating our own universe, and the synchronicity of what happens outside us to what happens inside us. But do I believe this is a good day for Taurus and a bad day for Gemini, or that Sagittarius and Virgo make good lovers? Nah, I think mass-appeal astrology (messages for a large portion of the world's population) are a little overly simple. Interesting question, however.

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
People who believe in this bollocks have the nerve to denegrate most of the worlds religions!! Says it all!

Just the kind of response I'd expect from you, superbot. While I agree with the bottom line (astrology is stupid), it's for a totally different reason (it makes no goddamn sense).

S

superbot

Spoken like a true christain.
So why would ANY Christian BE EXPECTED to give credence to something that is as absurd as astrology which doesn't have one iota of factual basis? Would you expect me to 'embrace' the Flat Earth Society? Get real woman...I think 'Pendlum' kinda summed it up!!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

superbot

Just the kind of response I'd expect from you, superbot. While I agree with the bottom line (astrology is stupid), it's for a totally different reason (it makes no goddamn sense).
How very patronizing!

concupisys

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
most mainstream astrology is purely for entertainment purposes.... like the way all those millions of people went out and bought the magic 8 ball many moons ago.... some people choose to look deeper in to the meaning of their own personal astrology, and ultimately that's exactly what it is: personal.... it's definitely not the be and end all of life, and i would urge anyone who believes that to never leave their homes as the fact that the world goes on in ways beyond your control will probably drive you insane.... i've looked deeper in to my own astrology, but it's not something i take seriously in the least.... it's more of a framework that acts as a guide for me in dealing with all the shit life has to throw at me.... just like the bible: i don't believe IN the bible, but i think there's a lot of great lessons to be learned from the stories within it....

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
According to astrology charts, I'm an attention whore.

I guess it's not all wrong.

"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

When science can explain to me the things which astrology makes comprehensible, it'll probably be a case of science catching up to intuition, yet again.

I admire logic very much and wish to adhere to it as much as possible. But it often doesn't work as fast or cover as much as my intuition. The older I get, the more I find myself going with my gut. And my gut tends to side with the mirror of the external world. Which tends to have mood swings like the moon.

Lunar effects are scientifically corroborated. That's astrology and astronomy and meteorology and physics. Far too much of astrology is just based on old wives tales and abandoned civilizations whose historical relevance is questionable, but it makes fine folklore.

Those who cry 'bullshit' doth protest too much. There's a baby in that bathwater.

Bob Ross

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't believe in astrology one bit and think it is at best a delusion and at worst a scam...But, that being said, (and I don't mean this as rhetorical or sarcastic) I would like to see one website or book or other thing that I could read which formulated a substantial, scientific and logical argument FOR astrology. I have never read anything except articles which debunk it and if anyone knows of anything which was written in support of it (by the way I'm pretty sure there is more than one type of astrology and astrological calendar) I would appreciate them posting a link...

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I don't believe in astrology one bit and think it is at best a delusion and at worst a scam...But, that being said, (and I don't mean this as rhetorical or sarcastic) I would like to see one website or book or other thing that I could read which formulated a substantial, scientific and logical argument FOR astrology. I have never read anything except articles which debunk it and if anyone knows of anything which was written in support of it (by the way I'm pretty sure there is more than one type of astrology and astrological calendar) I would appreciate them posting a link...

I seriously can't do that, Bob. Science has not caught up with social customs. All I can say is that There is TOO a baby in there, and beg to differ with those who don't have a microscope to see it.

Or do I mean telescope?

Bob Ross

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I seriously can't do that, Bob. Science has not caught up with social customs. All I can say is that There is TOO a baby in there, and beg to differ with those who don't have a microscope to see it.

Or do I mean telescope?

hehe, some type of 'scope.

Maybe I stated that question wrong. It doesn't have to even be a "science-based" argument for astrology I just mean that obviously alot of people believe in it (yourself included) and I would like to know the reasons why. I am curious to read a logical argument which has been framed in support of the conclusions of astrology and the methods used therein.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Newspaper horoscopes are loads of crap and are there purely for entertainment purposes. Anyone who finds them of any value probably believes in the profundity of fortune cookies, too.

My chart's been done three times, once in 1974, once in 1980 and again 2001. Each time the astrologer did it without a fee or any expectation of any kind of remuneration. The second one knew me well, the other two were friends-of-acquaintances who knew very little about me. In all three cases, they were identical (near as I can remember), so it may not be a science, but it is a discipline of one kind or another.

The extent to which the charts accurately reflected my personality was occasionally spot-on, other times less so, but the hits outnumbered the misses to a degree which impressed me, as a fence-sitter and skeptic; the one who knew me well did no better nor any worse than the others, FWIW.

Professional salespeople, like professional athletes, tend to be pretty superstitious what with "lucky ties" or the carrying of various talismans to help them get in and maintain "the zone", and I was in high-end professional furniture sales for most of my time between the ages of 20 and 45. When I was about 24 I had an associate who used to warn that sales and deals made while Mercury was in retrograde (no, I have no idea what that means astronomically) were unstable and subject to customer remorse and/or changes of mind. It was a statistical reality that most of our cancellations and adjustments made to existing orders occurred while Mercury was in retrograde (yes, I did the calculating myself). It could be due to any number of reasons, but it was statistically accurate.

Bear in mind that Astrology dates back millennia and was a precursor to the modern science of Astronomy, just like Alchemy led to Chemistry. Comparisons to religion are incorrect: it's a discipline that is favored by any number of folk, from complete Pagans and New-Agers to Christians and Jews (and beyond). Though I cannot back this up with any links, since it originated in Mesopotamia and ancient Persia, I would bet that it's both proscribed by Sharia law as blasphemy and widely practiced in that part of the world, still: even if clandestinely.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
The extent to which the charts accurately reflected my personality was occasionally spot-on, other times less so, but the hits outnumbered the misses to a degree which impressed me, as a fence-sitter and skeptic; the one who knew me well did no better nor any worse than the others, FWIW.
Of course, you're just one case, but I hear about such things occasionally ... from people who usually believe in astrology, some of whom have struck me as highly intelligent.

When I was about 24 I had an associate who used to warn that sales and deals made while Mercury was in retrograde (no, I have no idea what that means astronomically) were unstable and subject to customer remorse and/or changes of mind. It was a statistical reality that most of our cancellations and adjustments made to existing orders occurred while Mercury was in retrograde (yes, I did the calculating myself). It could be due to any number of reasons, but it was statistically accurate.
Again, yours is just one case, and it could be accuracy by chance.

But when you hear, for example, that Indira Gandhi found astrology accurate enough to use in governing India ... and I don't think she was a fool ... I have to wonder if there is something in it.

Still, I'm basically very skeptical. I have tried to learn about astrology two or three times, but I just can't get my mind around it. I quickly forget anything I read about it or hear from supposed experts.

At times, I have thought about certain astrological 'truths' and found them vaguely confirmed in my own experience ... certain ideas about what Scorpion women are like, for example. (But that was then, and now I can't even remember what those ideas were.)

And I have had friends, one in particular, who seemed able to guess many peoples' signs.

Astrology makes no rational sense at all. My mind mostly rebels at the thought of taking it seriously. Most of what passes for astrology is surely crap. But I wind up unable to entirely dismiss it.