Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I should start by saying that I am by no means over weight or "fat". I am 6'0" and weigh 74.5kg with a body fat percentage of 17% and a 32" waist. I look lean with a shirt on but all of my body fat sits across my stomach (the classic muffin top).

I am an actor and in the industry your physique really can be the difference between you getting a job and not. Some friends and I started a fitness schedule to get fitter and see what we could achieve. I have been trying for the past year to get my body fat down from 18% to 14-15%. I am utterly stuck and can not shift any more than the 1% body fat I already have and it is really getting to me.

I started reducing calories slowly down to 1800 per day which I stuck to for months and shifted the initial 1%. I then slowly increased calories up to 2800 again and added more and more weights to my work outs (4-5 times per week, full body split over an upper body day and then a leg day). In this time i regained the 1% body fat as I expected. After about 6 weeks I decreased calories again and again and lost the 1%.

This is the yoyo I've been stuck with.

My friends doing exactly the same as me now look incredible; lean, muscular and with a body fat of between 10-13% (and one of them started at 25% fat). Apart from my arms and chest looking slightly leaner it is almost impossible to see a difference. My before and after photos look near identical mostly due to the fact that my body fat sticks to my lower abdomen and just will not go.

I am at my wits end. I am putting in the work. I am sticking to my calorie deficit and have done so for a year. But I have seen almost no difference.

My protein is high. My calories are low. I'm weight training. I'm doing a moderate session of cardio each week. I gave up alcohol. I eat tons of vegetables and fibre. I get 8 hours sleep each night. I drink 4 litres of water each day.

I am doing absolutely everything every personal trainer and professional builder suggests but I just can not change my body.

Is it possible that some people's bodies just will never change? I want to scream. I feel like I have wasted the last year.

Reactions: JaygoM

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Short of becoming a distance runner or some other endurance athlete it's possible your body fat % won't change.

If I remember correctly actor Dennis Quaid chose liposuction to remove enough fat to show his six pack. I believe other actors have done the same over the years but don't recall their names at the moment. Quaid suffered from anorexia and still had lipo because he wanted to flash abs.

I'm not recommending lipo but it is an option for the image conscious of Hollywood. Contact a board certified plastic surgeon,

I don't know how old you are but I believe Quaid was middle aged (>30) when he had his done.

Renegade83

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I'm 35.

I actually tried to get into running for fat loss reasons but apparently I over pronate which made it very painful to run more than 5k.

I didn't want to sound dramatic but I have really been considering liposuction. Was unsure if I would be able to find a reputable doctor to perform it seeing as I have a healthy BMI.

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Some people's metabolism can make the process of losing fat easier... But, everybody can do it.
@Snarky_succubus & I are polar opposites.
My body tears thru calories like a blast furnace. Up to 5,000 calories a day without adding weight is not a problem for me.
My girl has a system that loves to store calories like she's getting ready to hibernate.
But... She's still making really good progress.

So, as long as your macros are good, the only issue with diet I could see as a possibility would be meal timing.
Are you eating too late in the day?
Are all your high glycemic foods being accounted for? ( Sweeteners, salad dressings, etc)

Then, I'd look at your workouts.
Are you pushing yourself? Or merely going thru the motions?
Please don't be offended by that last question.
I ask it only because the overwhelming majority will get into a routine and settle.
They never add weight. They never push for extra reps. They never cut down on rest time in between sets. They never add sets. They never change exercises...
They simply keep doing 12 reps at the same weight, at the same tempo, ... And never consider that doing something different could break their slump.

Lastly, when was the last time you had your hormone levels checked?
If your body doesn't have the necessary tools to repair, you will go nowhere.

Just a few thoughts.
Good luck to you!
I hope you reach your goals ☺

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Some people's metabolism can make the process of losing fat easier... But, everybody can do it.
My body tears thru calories like a blast furnace. Up to 5,000 calories a day without adding weight is not a problem for me.
My girl has a system that loves to store calories like she's getting ready to hibernate.

So, as long as your macros are good, the only issue with diet I could see as a possibility would be meal timing.
Are all your high glycemic foods being accounted for? ( Sweeteners, salad dressings, etc)

I ask it only because the overwhelming majority will get into a routine and settle.
They never add weight. They never push for extra reps. They never cut down on rest time in between sets. They never add sets. They never change exercises...
They simply keep doing 12 reps at the same weight, at the same tempo, ... And never consider that doing something different could break their slump.

Just a few thoughts.
Good luck to you!
Also,
what are your stress levels like? Anxiety? Depression? Cortisol can be a bitch.

Renegade83

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response

Just a few thoughts.
Good luck to you!

Sugars and total carbs are low (30-35% of my macros) and it's very rare for me to eat past 6:30pm.

I've tried carb cycling too and saw no effect from this although apparently this can be very hit and miss anyway.

Workout wise I REALLY push myself. My weights are up and my strength is pretty good now. I up weights and do a 5 rep by 5 set work out until I'm used to the weight then I increase reps until I can manage 10. Then increase weight and start again.

Not had hormone levels checked. Didn't know that's a thing.

Mentally, I'm really good. Happy and relaxed in all areas of life...except this.

ryans138

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Sugars and total carbs are low (30-35% of my macros) and it's very rare for me to eat past 6:30pm.

I've tried carb cycling too and saw no effect from this although apparently this can be very hit and miss anyway.

Workout wise I REALLY push myself. My weights are up and my strength is pretty good now. I up weights and do a 5 rep by 5 set work out until I'm used to the weight then I increase reps until I can manage 10. Then increase weight and start again.

Not had hormone levels checked. Didn't know that's a thing.

Mentally, I'm really good. Happy and relaxed in all areas of life...except this.

Hormones can make a huge difference. Most people who complain about hormones holding them back don't have their diet, exercise, etc. dialed in so they use it as an excuse. But that doesn't sound like you.

For me, the difference was getting my testosterone checked and being put on TRT. Raising my test levels to normal levels has been the single best thing I have ever done for my well being.

If you get checked, make sure you get the numbers for yourself. The "normal" range can run anywhere from 250-1200 total testosterone. So you may test at 275 and you doctor will tell you you're fine. That's bullshit. 275 might be fine for an 80 year old man. It's not fine for a 35 year old who trains, eats well, and gets plenty of sleep.

I'm doing a moderate session of cardio each week.
Don't do one moderate session of cardio each week. That is likely to be where you are going wrong in my opinion. Do a minimum of three serious cardio sessions each week - this will actually speed up your metabolism. I would suggest that you attend classes so that you have to push yourself to keep up with everyone else. This could feel disheartening at first, until your cardio improves, but stick with it.

Reactions: MisterB

Almost40

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Have you considered a high altitude work out? Like more than 4000 mts above sea level? I ve seen amazing changes after trekking mountains of high altitude. Legs became much stonger and body wieght was reduced to an - almost alarming - low level. Yes i know what you may say, do i have to move to another country to get lean? A 13 day trekking circuit, lets say the one that starts in Lukla and ends in EBC and Kala Pathar at 5.643 mts, will do just fine. Or the Uhuru peak trail in Africa, at 5.895 mts. It will take you more or less about 12 days round trip, walking that is. Your body's metabolism will be significantly boosted and it will be easier to trigger fat burn, unless there is another factor involved (such as hormones). You said yourself that your buddies took the same routine and had different reults than you, so it is not sure it will bring the changes you want. Then you should try to go for something completely different. Changing dramatically your work out which, will probably "wake up" your body, from the routine it may be stuck into.

Reactions: Barberseville

Barberseville

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
@Almost40

Correct... The body gets habituated and once a week "moderate" cardiovascular is insufficient to increase metabolism. High altitude trekking would be good (Incall Trail is another one). Those treks are definitely on my bucket list, though.

The OP probably also ought to be looking at the intensity of the workouts. Easy to fall into a slow routine with a bored trainer padding out the hour. Squats, burpees, chin ups and deadlifts are good for increasing metabolism and fat burn if you push yourself. Swap out trainer led weights with serious rowing, HIT and maybe Crossfit sessions, those would be my recommendations.

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I should start by saying that I am by no means over weight or "fat". I am 6'0" and weigh 74.5kg with a body fat percentage of 17% and a 32" waist. I look lean with a shirt on but all of my body fat sits across my stomach (the classic muffin top).

I am an actor and in the industry your physique really can be the difference between you getting a job and not. Some friends and I started a fitness schedule to get fitter and see what we could achieve. I have been trying for the past year to get my body fat down from 18% to 14-15%. I am utterly stuck and can not shift any more than the 1% body fat I already have and it is really getting to me.

I started reducing calories slowly down to 1800 per day which I stuck to for months and shifted the initial 1%. I then slowly increased calories up to 2800 again and added more and more weights to my work outs (4-5 times per week, full body split over an upper body day and then a leg day). In this time i regained the 1% body fat as I expected. After about 6 weeks I decreased calories again and again and lost the 1%.

This is the yoyo I've been stuck with.

My friends doing exactly the same as me now look incredible; lean, muscular and with a body fat of between 10-13% (and one of them started at 25% fat). Apart from my arms and chest looking slightly leaner it is almost impossible to see a difference. My before and after photos look near identical mostly due to the fact that my body fat sticks to my lower abdomen and just will not go.

I am at my wits end. I am putting in the work. I am sticking to my calorie deficit and have done so for a year. But I have seen almost no difference.

My protein is high. My calories are low. I'm weight training. I'm doing a moderate session of cardio each week. I gave up alcohol. I eat tons of vegetables and fibre. I get 8 hours sleep each night. I drink 4 litres of water each day.

I am doing absolutely everything every personal trainer and professional builder suggests but I just can not change my body.

Is it possible that some people's bodies just will never change? I want to scream. I feel like I have wasted the last year.

Man sounds like you may be stressing over this. Your buds have changed but you're still stuck with the belly fat ( muffin top).

I'd continue to do what you're doing. Sometimes it takes longer for different individuals. It's taken me over a year and a half to lose 38 pounds. Not because I haven't been going to the gym but because I was not doing everything I needed to do.

Once I cut out the sweets, and started to eat my dinner no later than 6 o'clock in the evening. I started to notice a difference in my waistline.

I hope that you'll continue to see it through as discouraging as it is. Keep pressing through it. Losing weight too fast usually will be easier to regain

Here's a thought if you've got the time and the energy going to the gym twice a day may be what it takes to get you there sooner. Some of the guys at my gym have told me they were in their best shape physically when they came to the gym twice a day. And these guys are not body builders they're just regular dude's you'd see anywhere.

Just a thought and my .2¢
Good luck buddy.

Reactions: keenobserver

FastNHard

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Also,
what are your stress levels like? Anxiety? Depression? Cortisol can be a bitch.
Yes, cortisol is a bitch. I'm generally not stressed but my cortisol is either high or low, makes fat loss totally impossible.

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Yes, cortisol is a bitch. I'm generally not stressed but my cortisol is either high or low, makes fat loss totally impossible.

Not exactly. I take steroids daily because my body does not produce enough cortisol. I gained over 40 pounds. I've lost 38 pounds through diet and exercise. So this I know is possible.

FastNHard

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Not exactly. I take steroids daily because my body does not produce enough cortisol. I gained over 40 pounds. I've lost 38 pounds through diet and exercise. So this I know is possible.
None of that works for me anymore, diet, training, fasted cardio/training, fat burners, none of it works anymore.

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
None of that works for me anymore, diet, training, fasted cardio/training, fat burners, none of it works anymore.

Do you drink a lot of water?
I have a half cup of oatmeal for breakfast.
Either turkey or chicken on rye for lunch. 4oz steak,chicken breast, or pork loin with a salad, or green beans or stewed carrots. I eat very few sweets usually only with my cheat meal.
I lift weights, do burpees, and very little cardio. But I go to the gym 5-6 days a wk and workout for at least an hour at a time. I have one protein shake a day after my workout. I drink lots of water and two 50 calorie low sugar Gatorade a day usually only one but I alot myself two. Again I drink lots of water and the only bread I have is with my lunch.

I know 4 oz doesn't sound like much but after a couple of three wks your stomach week start to shrink.

FastNHard

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Do you drink a lot of water?
I have a half cup of oatmeal for breakfast.
Either turkey or chicken on rye for lunch. 4oz steak,chicken breast, or pork loin with a salad, or green beans or stewed carrots. I eat very few sweets usually only with my cheat meal.
I lift weights, do burpees, and very little cardio. But I go to the gym 5-6 days a wk and workout for at least an hour at a time. I have one protein shake a day after my workout. I drink lots of water and two 50 calorie low sugar Gatorade a day usually only one but I alot myself two. Again I drink lots of water and the only bread I have is with my lunch.

I know 4 oz doesn't sound like much but after a couple of three wks your stomach week start to shrink.
My appetite has gotten very bad the last two years. Two years ago before all that was either oatmeal for breakfast, two turkey burgers and potatoes for lunch and supper was same as lunch, 3000 calorie shakes. Now I eat eggs in the morning, protein shake or bar or both after my workout, supper is usually not much at all, maybe another protein bar or something, evening is fruit of some kind,, grapes or something and cheese an hour or so before bed. I haven't added up my calories lately but I have to be in a deficit. To be honest I'm totally sick of counting macros, did all that, didn't work, still put on fat and nothing else. My mid section is looking pretty disgusting right now. Did keto for 6 months also, no luck, gut still getting bigger. I train no more than an hour, cardio is not my friend as I end up burning off muscle instead of fat. My body is just so totally opposite of 'the per normal'. Carbs do not fuel me and neither do fats. The body should be fueled by one or the other....?

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
My appetite has gotten very bad the last two years. Two years ago before all that was either oatmeal for breakfast, two turkey burgers and potatoes for lunch and supper was same as lunch, 3000 calorie shakes. Now I eat eggs in the morning, protein shake or bar or both after my workout, supper is usually not much at all, maybe another protein bar or something, evening is fruit of some kind,, grapes or something and cheese an hour or so before bed. I haven't added up my calories lately but I have to be in a deficit. To be honest I'm totally sick of counting macros, did all that, didn't work, still put on fat and nothing else. My mid section is looking pretty disgusting right now. Did keto for 6 months also, no luck, gut still getting bigger. I train no more than an hour, cardio is not my friend as I end up burning off muscle instead of fat. My body is just so totally opposite of 'the per normal'. Carbs do not fuel me and neither do fats. The body should be fueled by one or the other....?

Leave the potatoes alone. I rarely eat a baked potato. I pretty much just eat protein. Last night I had 4oz chicken breast and an apple for dessert.

If you'll start doing burpees you'll raise your heart rate and burn fat at the same time. Increase the amount of weights your lifting. I only do 20 - 25 reps but I break them down into about 5 different sets for each weight. For example: decline bench press I'll do 20-25 but I do it in 4-5 sets by the time I'm on my last set I can barely get the weights back up. I do incline and flat on my back level bench before I move on to other muscle groups. . It all has to do with how hard you're willing to push yourself. How dedicated you are too changing your body and working through ththroughout the. You'll burn more fat post workout that way.

What time of the day do you go to the gym? I get up at 3 am have a 1/4 cup dry oats before I add the water. In the gym by 4 shower around 5 or a little after work at 6. I have a lot more energy throughout the day. I never eat after 6 pm. I guess you could say I'm fasting while I'm sleeping. But I am determined to change the way my body looks. My muscles are getting bigger, more toned and the belly fat is going down slowly.
Don't expect to see results after a week. It's a lifestyle change and become a way of life. If you've got a rowing machine try that. Keep at it.