At the movies

squib

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
With another Academy Awards imminent (meh), thoughts turn to films. Which have you seen lately that were notable, new or old? Sometimes a remake can be fun. I have reseen the 1976 film Seven Nights In Japan with Michael York, and Hidemi Aoki. A sweet remake of 1953's Roman Holiday (Audrey Hepburn, Gregory Peck) Michael York's Prince of Wales type character isn't endearing (a lot like Prince Charles), but it's worth a watch.:smile:

Seven Nights In Japan

Hidemi Aoki

A

AM_092

Watched Black Swan, The Fighter and True Grit recently...

Black Swan was visually spectacular and always very thrilling. It was so good that I think the experience of watching it seem greater than the film itself.

The Fighter was ver surprising! I'm not a fan of sports films, but this one was very well done. It covered all the bases and had great performances from everyone. Melissa Leo was the highlight for me!

True Grit was extremely disappointing. If Americans say they have difficulty listening to Australian or British accents in films, I'd say non-Americans would have struggled harder with this film! The pace of the film was not effective and I cared very little for those involved. Action-wise? It wasn't that great either. However, it is redeemed for it's art direction and cinematography.

squib

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Watched Black Swan, The Fighter and True Grit recently...

Black Swan was visually spectacular and always very thrilling. It was so good that I think the experience of watching it seem greater than the film itself.

The Fighter was ver surprising! I'm not a fan of sports films, but this one was very well done. It covered all the bases and had great performances from everyone. Melissa Leo was the highlight for me!

True Grit was extremely disappointing. If Americans say they have difficulty listening to Australian or British accents in films, I'd say non-Americans would have struggled harder with this film! The pace of the film was not effective and I cared very little for those involved. Action-wise? It wasn't that great either. However, it is redeemed for it's art direction and cinematography.

I thought I was the only one to notice that about the remake of True Grit, accent wise. The original with John Wayne wasn't like this. I like Jeff Bridges, he has done many great films, but once you get past the initial interest of seeing him made to look like Wayne, I found the new version a disappointment too. It had big cowboy boots to fill.

Well, at least there's still Cannonball Run II to fall back on. Probably the greatest film never to get an Academy Award.:biggrin1:

Cannonball Run II

Rat Pack