"... at William's, where else ?" 70's UK Ad.

jojolongdong

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Does anyone remember an ITV advertisement back in the 1970's which began with a voiceover droning repetitively "Pound power !" and a guy in green tights running in pretend slow motion towards the camera with an amazing bulge, which swung from side to side. The slogan/catchphrase at the end of the Ad was " .... at William's, Where Else ?"

It was for a furniture or carpet salesroom/shop I think.?

In the school playground, we'd immitate the Bionic Man style running and change the wording in the Ad to. ".... as you walk through the door, your balls weigh more ! At William's, where else ?"

Does anyone know who to ask, to find out if it is still in an archive ?

jojolongdong

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Thanks EnglishMan and Well done. It's on the list..... (I have a lead.)

In the hope that raising this Thread again will produce a result.....
(I have a lead) above, turned out to be a cul-de-sac.

Joe

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'll keep looking, so far no luck locating it, but I've had fun in my search; forgot about many of the commercials I've viewed.
It was for Williams Furniture the slogan was...As you walk through the door your pound’s worth more. At Williams … where else?

Last edited:

sexpacboy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
The Moderating team found this post to be in violation of the present rules regarding content that is unacceptable; "Inappropriate content involving minors, - by minors we mean those under the age of 18"

The content of the post has been removed and we request that all members read the rules and follow them in the future.

Members found to be continuing in the same manner after the posting of this warning, will be subject to further actions and sanctions up to and including reviewing your continued participation at LPSG.

Last edited by a moderator:

jojolongdong

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'll keep looking, so far no luck locating it, but I've had fun in my search; forgot about many of the commercials I've viewed.
It was for Williams Furniture the slogan was...As you walk through the door your pound’s worth more. At Williams … where else?

Thanks nudeyorker (fantastic Username btw)
I'm not too sure about whether it was for carpets or furniture and I think the slogan was "... as you walk through the door, your pounds' worth more. !"
I hope it can be located and linked for viewing, because if my memory serves me well. I couldn't believe my eyes at first, and I went bright red if anyone else was in the room.... but perhaps that's just too much information.
I have considered writing or contacting ITV because Chris Tarrant used to present a show based solely on unusual and funny commercials from around the world, but I think they've stopped making it.

Thanks to everyone and anyone who is or has searched. Joe

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thanks nudeyorker (fantastic Username btw)
I'm not too sure about whether it was for carpets or furniture and I think the slogan was "... as you walk through the door, your pounds' worth more. !"
I hope it can be located and linked for viewing, because if my memory serves me well. I couldn't believe my eyes at first, and I went bright red if anyone else was in the room.... but perhaps that's just too much information.
I have considered writing or contacting ITV because Chris Tarrant used to present a show based solely on unusual and funny commercials from around the world, but I think they've stopped making it.

Thanks to everyone and anyone who is or has searched. Joe

I remember that superhero was packing... my brother and I used to say "When you walk through the door your dick weighs more! At Williams of course." It never got old for us.

jojolongdong

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm bumping this Thread....
in the hope that someone may be able to help find this old TV ad.
I remember it I was about eight years old, it got me off then and now when I think of it.I would luv to see it again.I have looked but cannot find it .If u do send it my way.

I know it's a longshot but I can't remember if video recorders were around in the 1970's ?
Perhaps someone has it recorded on an old VHS tape.

jojolongdong

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The phrase was still around in the early 80s, though I remember it as being "as you walk through the door, your balls touch the floor!" Quite what that was supposed to mean I don't really know.

I'm not surprised that the phrase (and variations of it) continued after they stopped showing the ad.

It is obvious when you see the size of the massive bulge on the guy pretending to run in slow motion towards the camera in that tight green all-in-one suit (like a cross between The Bionic Man & Superman)

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I might look or How to find it ?

sexpacboy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Definately not Denis Waterman. Was the ad shown all over the UK I thought it was just up north.Keep looking I have got to see this again.

jojolongdong

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Somewhere on the net I see someone is suggesting the man was Dennis Waterman. This kinda rings a bell.

Waterman may well have been doing some ad work around this time.

It was a long time ago but I know it was not Dennis Waterman (of The Sweeney and Minder fame)
I'm sure it was an unknown actor/extra, and he looked like he had an armchair stuffed down his pants.....
the ad makers must have thought if we can get away with this using this guy, we'll have the most talked about ad on TV.