attention all LPSGRS outside or AMERICA

Discussion in 'Politics' started by D_N Flay Table, Oct 23, 2008.

1. D_N Flay Table

D_N Flay Table New Member

Tell me about your country, what is it like where you live?
    What are the major issues there?
    How is the standard or living?
    Health care?
    Work hours?

2. D_Tintagel_Demondong

What it's like: It's like the 51st state; in some ways better, in some ways worse. It's a bit colder in the winters here, but very hot in the summers. We have rain forests, deserts, massive plains, the biggest coastline in the world, and forests all over the place. Having two official languages is cool, but it's also caused a lot of problems for us.
    Standard of living: It's very high and very liberal. People here have a love of nature and respectful politeness toward each other, but without being sappy. Censorship is almost non-existent, but we do have anti-hate crimes which make groups like the KKK or neo-nazis illegal. Gay marriage is legal all over Canada. The age of consent is 16 and you can start buying booze when you are 18 (in Ontario). Violent crime is very rare, even in the big cities. Taxes are high, but you see the results everywhere.
    Health care: Everything but pharmacare, which is a big issue of late. It's nice to know that getting sick or hurt won't devastate my finances.
    Work hours: Gov't hours are great. Private sector hours are just like in the US, but the 4 hour work week (10 hours per day) is more common.

Come up and visit!

3. Flashy

Gold Member

Zere's no Canada like French Canada, it's ze best Canada in ze land...Ze ozzer Canada iz hardly Canada, if you lived here for a day you'd understand

Zere's no Canada like French Canada, it's ze best Canada in ze land...Ze ozzer Canada iz ze bullshit Canada, if you lived here for a day you'd understand.

4. iain_ware

iain_ware New Member

Albums:
    England UK
    I think we have a great standard of life, our health care is free, we do have to pay an amount of National Insurance but it is really cheap! the roads, rail and services of transport are good and not too expensive, some trips can be, but flying into Europe can be cheaper than travelling into London from the midlands (middle of England), the major issues vary, I think there are too many do-gooders here but hey there are bad people too, so the balance is ok, and they seem to get inside a story and never leave it alone the press I mean and they can be ruthless ask the Beckhams! work hours vary too the regular is 9-5.30 Mon to Fri and the weekends off, the wages are pretty good too if you are on average wage you have almost everything you want in life, although a big down is the house prices they are very expensive now and it is hard to get on the ladder to buy - but we are heading into a recession and the prices of houses are dropping fast, but the government will give you a place to live you if you go on a list, so overall not a bad place live, what I love here is that we have some beautiful places to visit and the seaside is nice, also the buildings and heritage, the music and places to go out and have fun, some fantastic cities especially London, we have some good traditions like Bonfire Night, Christmas, Easter and others, I would say for a small place we seem to have a great big heart as a country. Come visit sometime and make you own mind up!

5. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

What is it like where you live? I live in a rural area - the main problem I have with this area is it is still very 'traditional' in terms of gender roles - by which I mean sexist. There are different standards of behaviour expected from women and that just pisses me off. I don't think that is French - I think that is local. The area I live is beautiful though, and I get to live very cheaply, owning my own house with no credit and covering the bills with a part time job that allows me to be a full time mother.

What are the major issues there? Unemployment is quite high at the moment - 7-8% depending on where you get your info. And around here it is higher than that. Also, France has an ageing population, supporting the retired population is getting harder and harder as their numbers slowly increase. In some areas (more urban) immigration and integration seems to be an issue. Don't get me wrong, everyone is welcome in France, as long as they behave like the French and adopt a completely French lifestyle.

How is the standard or living? Good. Very good actually - but the means by which people finance their lifestyles are somewhat different from those I am used to. Credit cards are getting a little more popular but really are far rarer here. Big money items that people want are bought on Hire Purchase; car, furniture, computer, home entertainment systems, bathroom makeover, etc., etc.. Mortgages are harder to get and require more upfront capital. As a result more people rent for longer. At the moment the French are all patting themselves on the back for having a stronger banking system than other countries. What they are neglecting is all that personal debt stacked up against an individual's monthly income - that and that, despite what France would like to believe, it is part of the global infrastructure and cannot escape the knock on effects.

Health care? Very good. Among the best in world - certainly the best state sponsored in the world. The trouble there, of course, is that it is so fucking expensive for the state. And with an ageing population the financial burden of maintain the system is becoming harder and harder to bear.

Work hours? 35 hour week is official standard, though in practise it is 39 for most companies - the 4 extra hours can be at a 'negotiated extra cost'. Also there is a statutory requirement for an interrupted period of one day's rest per week, which in principle should be on a Sunday. An employee must have, in principle, a minimum of 11 hours' consecutive rest per day. There is in principle a limit of 48 hours per week, and even in exceptional circumstances, working time may not exceed 60 hours per week. Working time may not exceed an average of 44 hours per week for a period of 12 consecutive weeks.
    The 35 hours is a bit weak if you ask me. The French are not lazy but there is a prevailing attitude that the employer owes a huge debt to the employee rather than it being a mutually beneficial arrangement.

#5 ManlyBanisters, Oct 23, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  6. liberia

liberia New Member

Albums:
    Yes, I love France, especially the South. However, the more I travel around the world only convinces me that Britain is the best place to live. It is possible to find people here from every country in the world. Take a person like Madonna -- she can afford to live anywhere she likes, but chooses England. Our green and pleasant land.

7. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Since rec did a good job on Canada, except that bit about the 51st state! :cool:, I'll tell you a bit about where I live.

Country- Turkey

What is it like where you live?
    This is not an easy question to answer. Turkey is geographically very diverse and has been influenced culturally by many peoples over the course of it's long history. I live on the southern coast, in a city of about 700,000. We are on a coastal plain sandwiched between tall mountains and the sea. Lots of farming here, the fresh food is wonderful. The climate here is milder for most of year than in central Anatolia. Except in the summer when it is extremely hot and humid.

It's really quite beautiful, with the sea, the beaches and the mountains close at hand.

What are the major issues there?
    The divisions between various groups. Rich and poor. Cities and rural areas.
    The Kurdish issue had recently been on the front burner again. The Kurds are generally well integrated in society in western Turkey. But tensions exist because of the continuing low-standard for living in the eastern homelands. There are a lot of issues surrounding the role of Islam in society, with a big majority of people firmly supporting the secular state. They have elected a "Islamist leaning" government, but it has more to do with the corruption and incompetence of previous administrations.

How is the standard or living?
    Not bad. Really good if you have money. You could call it "second world". The middle class has expanded rapidly in recent years, but there is still a lot of poverty, especially in the east. The role of the family is more important than in Europe or America/Canada. I don't know of any retirement homes. It would be very shameful to let your mother live in such a place.
    Roads are not too bad and getting better.

Health care?
    We have universal health care, but it is not to the standard of Europe. There is the option of very good private hospitals if you can afford them or private insurance. In Canada, they would call it a "two-tiered" system.

Work hours?
    Turks work really hard. 45 hours is normal if you work a 5 day week. Many people work 6 days a week. There is no limit on the hours you can work. (There may be a law on the books but nobody cares) Over 9 hours a day you get time and a half pay. On the seventh day it's double. But this is routinely abused by employers.

Draft saved Draft deleted