ATTN: HR & Personnel people,

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

ATTN: HR & Personnel people, I have questions! :confused:

What do you expect to see on a resume? What information do you absolutely hate seeing on a resume? Are there fonts or formats which are difficult to read and should be avoided at all costs? Right now, my resume is in an arial narrow 12.

In case you haven't guessed, I'm refining my resume for the zillionth time. :rolleyes:

How many years back should a resume go? Five years, 10 years, 20? How many pages are preferred 1, 2, or 3? The last time I had to look for a job (2000), my resume was 3 pages. :redface: The premise back then was that HR wanted to see as much info as possible before they called you in for an interview. Allegedly the pendulum has swung back and HR people don't have the time to read a lengthy resume. Which is it? :confused: Do certain fields or careers demand more information in a resume?

2. canuck_pa

Gold Member

Great question njqt466.

I would love to know. I haven't had a full time permanent job in 5 years. And my savings are getting very low. I now have my apartment up for sale. The profit I get should keep me going for another 6 or 7 years.

3. lucky8

Gold Member

Well I was required to take a class entirely focused on building your resume last semester, so I could tell you a little about what we learned (I actually just got a new job using the new resume I had to make for the class)

#1 rule is 1 page. Never more than a 1 page resume

Don't use complete sentences; describe your previous job duties without using complete sentences

Normal size and style font

Make your name the largest font on the page to catch employer's attention

Start with most recent job and work your way back until you reach a page

Make it look like there are no gaps in your previous work history; instead of saying Feb. 2007- May 2008, say 2007-2008, then for the next one 2008-2009 and so on

Make yourself sound like you are good with handling money

Change it up when you're applying for different job types

If you've done community service anytime recently, included that

Include any specialized skills such as experience or training in Microsoft Access, Quicken, and so on

Your education

Try and make yourself stand out from all of the other resumes sitting on the desk

And ONLY 1 page

This is pretty much what I learned in the course. It was supposedly designed from feedback from employers around the area, so hopefully it helps, worked for me

#3 lucky8, Mar 21, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  4. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

This would be the only this i disagree with. 1 page usually isn't enough space and makes it look like you haven't had much experience or a long work history. So despite whatever may be the "correct" way i always make mine 2 pages so i have enough room to space adequately and make add enough info to catch an employers interest. 1 page is just to brief

5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

My advice is to gear your resume toward what your ultimate goal is. Give the basic educational information, but tailor it toward the job, whether it is actual work experience, volunteer work or your overall interests and dreams. Anyone with an ounce of grey matter will listen to someone who has a passion to do take a company from where they are now to the next level because of their passion and drive. Good Luck! If you want me to take a look at your resume please feel free to send it via PM with out your personal information and I will offer my advice for whatever it's worth.

6. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Pussy pictures.

7. Principessa

Gold Member

lucky8, I think the one page rule is for young people like yourself with minimal practical experience. However, I am almost 20 years older than you. I can just barely fit my education and certifications on one page. If I scale everything down to a 10 pt. font it can fit on two pages; but then I think it becomes hard to read. Meh, I'm leaving it at 3 if they don't want to read the last page we can discuss it in my interview.:cool:

8. nicenycdick

Gold Member

Albums:
    NJ...for the most part, one page should always be enough. My experience goes back decades, but I have always been able to scale my resume back to one page. Most employers are only interested in what you have done in the last ten years or so. And you shouldn't have to use more than one page for that time period (unless you've had many, many jobs in that time frame - which could be a problem). Additional experience can always be referred to in the cover letter.

Today, many HR people use computers to scan incoming resumes and reject those that fail to include some key terms. These key terms vary with the job. You can determine what they are by reviewing the ad or listing for the job. For instance, if the job listing indicates that they are looking for a "self-starter", make sure you use that exact phrase in your resume. And your resume should always be tailored for each job for which you apply...the days are gone where you use the same resume for each application.

9. MagicJohnsonFan

MagicJohnsonFan New Member

Albums:
    Haven't been in the HR field in about 3 years but was in it for almost 10 and you got a lot of good advice here. I agree with you that the younger one is the easier it is to keep a resume to one page but (and I'm about your age) you may still be able to do it if you list most recent relevant job history then use bullet points to list your skills and achievements; degrees, certificates, etc. at the bottom. Not quite the traditional format we were used to when we got out of college.

A lot depends on where you are geographically and what field you're in.

The resume is only to get you an interview, not to get you the job - so you want to list enough to get their attention but not try to explain everything. Most people make the mistake of loading so much information into a resume that the reader gets tired of wading through it before he/she has finished. Also, as the previous poster said, any time you can use the exact terminology that was used in the job posting, by all means use it.

Good luck!

10. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    One page for a résumé.

Your complete multi-page educational and vocational history should only be included in a curriculum vitae, not on your résumé. MOC hit the nail on the head...it's just about getting you the interview, not detailing your life story.

The Objective statement should be succinct and convey an understanding of the company and position you're applying for.

11. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

spent many years as an employment recruiter and manager. your resume has to meet two tests; one is getting past the clerk who routes resumes to the proper recruiter and the other is getting past the recruiter.

the recruiter or hiring manager reads the resume until he sees a reason to say "no", and then puts it in the "regrets" pile. if he gets to the end of the resume, you go in the consider/interview file. don't give the recruiter a chance to say no.

and... the days of saying "happily married to wonderful wife with three darling children" have long passed. include in "other" only items, associations, credentials, and certifications which relate to your area of expertise.

it's a good idea to have someone who is knowledgeable in your field of expertise read the resume for continuity and accuracy. it's possible to be so close to your writing that you see what you thought you wrote and not what's actually on the page. I once saw on a resume that a person was responsible for maintaining department morals. maybe he meant to say morale?

12. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I can't add much beyond the other bits of advice here except to say that the resume needs to grab attention as to why you're different (and better) than the other applicants.

13. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    So..pink, scented stationery...

Yes? No?

14. nudeyorker

Gold Member

That is sooooooo Elle Woods I say yes, but I'm legally blonde!

15. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    OMG, you are, at that!

Please tell me you don't have one of those pocket dogs.

16. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Check the gallery!

17. K!#EN

K!#EN New Member

If you have a lot of experience then you should use 10pt font and if you still are going to two pages then play with the margins to give added space.

18. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    What an adorable face!

The puppy is cute, too. :wink:

19. Meniscus

Gold Member

Hmmm...what if you've had only one professional job for the past 5-10 years, and everything before that was just summer jobs, internships, or work study positions that you held during college/grad school? Should one even bothering mentioning those college jobs? Does a resume look bad with only one job on it?

20. nudeyorker

Gold Member

No not at all, you have the opportunity to show the progress of your skills in your job through the years. In addition it shows dedication and commitment to your current company.If any summer jobs or internships are relevant by all means include them. I myself have left off my lifeguard experience on my resume many, many years ago.

#20 nudeyorker, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
Draft saved Draft deleted