ATTN Techies: Wireless Speakers

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Both online and in stores, the reaction to wireless speaker systems has been less than glowing.

Can anyone recommend a system that actually performs, or am I five years too early in realistically expecting such technology to be available on the mass consumer market at something approaching a reasonable price?

Short explanation: my computer holds virtually all my music and is in my bedroom. I prefer to entertain (casual) guests in my living room (one wall away) and would prefer to not blast distorted sounds from my bedroom which at the very least annoys the neighbors (especially with my eccentric hours), which is what I'm currently doing.

I can (obviously) run speakers with wires into the living room, but would prefer one of those old fashioned A/B or both sound systems (as we had back before Dolby controlled our listening pleasure) where I'm not required to blast sound everywhere just to hear music while enjoying dinner and/or cocktails with guests in the adjoining room.

Any suggestions?

FleshlightMouth

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Providence, Rhode Island, United States of America
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If you have a Mac, you can use an Airport Express wireless router in the location you want to be in and hook up any sound system to that, even an older boom box with an input.
I think it also works with a PC but you have to use iTunes as your music management software... wireless speakers as such are crap :cool:

Or, if you have an iPod, you can get one of the many available iPod stations that will serve as your local listening units.

I'll go shopping with you when I'm back in FTL in a few weeks :cool:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm really, really looking forward to your visit, sweetheart.

I use a PC, and my MP3 player is part of my phone, again not an Apple product. I think I'm probably just going to get something inexpensive from one of the local thrift shops (there are three that are within a few minute's walk from my apartment); amps and speakers are the sort of things people upgrade often enough so that I should be able to get a bargain that's not totally antiquated. Besides, I've never been a serious audiophile: I really love music but super-premium systems are totally lost on me.

Still, it seems strange that wireless technology is so crappy. I'd have thought that we'd have cordless lamps, floor fans, etc by now. I guess there's just no demand; we've had cordless phones for over 20 years now, after all :rolleyes:

conntom

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've tried a few out but will not buy yet.

Even the high end stuff is still mostly wired when people want the best.

Give it a few more years.

I would kill for a good wireless system as I have an old old house and opening up walls is not going to happen.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Thanks for the responses. Mass marketing consumer electronics is a mighty strange business; personally, I don't know anyone who wouldn't rather go cordless/wireless if they had the option. The endless tangle is an extremely popular complaint.

As I posted previously, it's not as if we're talking about some exotic technology. It just seems odd that no one seems interested in addressing an obvious need.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't know anyone who wouldn't rather go cordless/wireless if they had the option. The endless tangle is an extremely popular complaint.

Bb you do in fact know someone who would and did. I went to a great deal of expense and trouble to have my kitchen, living room, dining room and outdoor room to be wired for sound. (And not a single wire or cord is visible)

But I wish you luck with your quest!