ATTN: Trekkies

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's now due out May of 09.

I think this is going to be one big mess. The vast majority of Trek fans do not want to see history replayed or rewritten. It's been a long standing tradition that history is left to the books while the TV show and the movies were SUPPOSED to take the series into the future.

With the spectacular failure of Enterprise (the Scott Bakula series) you would think that Paramount would have learned something. Aside from TOS (The Original Series) no Star Trek series was ever pulled off the air before it's contracted run was over. In fact, the series became so strong that when UPN first started up, it was Star Trek: Voyager that helped land that network into prime time. One of the mottos of Voyager was: The show that launched a network.

When Voyager ended, there was so much they could have done:

1) Taken Voyager to the movies. There was a lot of things they could have done, movie wise, with a lone ship stranded in the Delta Quadrant.

2) They could have done an excellent James Bond type series with Section 13. Seen only on Star Trek: Deep Space 9 (ST:DS9).

3) There was talk of taking the Peter David book series to TV. I beleive the ship was called the Excalibur or the Excelsior. I never read that series but ANYTHING written by Peter David is worth it.

4) There was also talk of doing a Star Fleet Academy series set at the Academy on Earth with Cheif O'Brien and his family teaching there.

There was so many different ways to take this series forward and they blew them all. Enterprise tried to rewrite Trek history. The Klingon homeworld only 4 days away from Earth at warp 5? Since when? The Temporal Cold War?? Talk about LAME. If they wanted to do that, they should have started that where Voyager took off.

Leave the history to the people who write the books. The nice thing about the books is that they help to fill in the holes left from the TV series (any of them) without directly impacting the series themselves. So characters like Dr. Selar from Star Trek: The Next Generation (ST:TNG) can be written out of the book but she can still be mentioned and shown on the tv show itself.

As you can probably infer, I have a very LOW opinion about how well this movie is going to do. Recasting the original cast isn't like recasting Darren from Bewitched or Becky from Roseann. This isn't a fill in role. It's like recasting Humphrey Bogart with Adam Sandler.

Leave Trek HISTORY alone. Bring in a new show set back in the future and take it from there.

Rant over

Sklar

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
It's now due out May of 09.

I think this is going to be one big mess. The vast majority of Trek fans do not want to see history replayed or rewritten. It's been a long standing tradition that history is left to the books while the TV show and the movies were SUPPOSED to take the series into the future.

With the spectacular failure of Enterprise (the Scott Bakula series) you would think that Paramount would have learned something. Aside from TOS (The Original Series) no Star Trek series was ever pulled off the air before it's contracted run was over. In fact, the series became so strong that when UPN first started up, it was Star Trek: Voyager that helped land that network into prime time. One of the mottos of Voyager was: The show that launched a network.

When Voyager ended, there was so much they could have done:

1) Taken Voyager to the movies. There was a lot of things they could have done, movie wise, with a lone ship stranded in the Delta Quadrant.

2) They could have done an excellent James Bond type series with Section 13. Seen only on Star Trek: Deep Space 9 (ST:DS9).

3) There was talk of taking the Peter David book series to TV. I beleive the ship was called the Excalibur or the Excelsior. I never read that series but ANYTHING written by Peter David is worth it.

4) There was also talk of doing a Star Fleet Academy series set at the Academy on Earth with Cheif O'Brien and his family teaching there.

There was so many different ways to take this series forward and they blew them all. Enterprise tried to rewrite Trek history. The Klingon homeworld only 4 days away from Earth at warp 5? Since when? The Temporal Cold War?? Talk about LAME. If they wanted to do that, they should have started that where Voyager took off.

Leave the history to the people who write the books. The nice thing about the books is that they help to fill in the holes left from the TV series (any of them) without directly impacting the series themselves. So characters like Dr. Selar from Star Trek: The Next Generation (ST:TNG) can be written out of the book but she can still be mentioned and shown on the tv show itself.

As you can probably infer, I have a very LOW opinion about how well this movie is going to do. Recasting the original cast isn't like recasting Darren from Bewitched or Becky from Roseann. This isn't a fill in role. It's like recasting Humphrey Bogart with Adam Sandler.

Leave Trek HISTORY alone. Bring in a new show set back in the future and take it from there.

Rant over

Sklar

but... voyager made it home, so that kinda ended the chances there, there just wasn't enough story there to make a movie. The objective was to get back to earth... mission accomplished. I guess they could use the same crew and have some kind of new plot.

But I do agree with you, I don't know how well this movie will win over the trek-going public, what with them totally renewing the WHOLE cast for people that, IMO, don't even closely resemble the original crew.:mad:

Mr._dB

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Star Trek: Phase II Home Page

Star Trek: Phase II Downloads

Check these out. These low-budget "new episodes" have re-cast the original series, and it doesn't take long to get past the new cast and find something to enjoy. They're a lot of fun, in my opinion.

And it's funny that low-budget PC-based effects are now better than what the pros were doing in the '60s.

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media