Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
i was like 90% sure we could do something, i just never got the guts to make the first step. and i recently called him and we talked and all and he hasnt changed but then again neither have I. i could go for a visit and we could start hanging out again, im just not sure should i. some things have to stay in the past, i think i have wasted enough of my time waiting for him, kinda time to move on.
and as for you and your friend, i hope itll work out for ya, just be sure that when you tell hi how you feel you are sure that you guys can stay friends. dont mess that up. friends are the only family you get to chose.

michaang

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
hrdhatdad: Then I'd come off as jumping at him when he's single. That's not something I want to do, either. It's complicated, but I think things are resolved after tonight. Details following.

Hijetala: Life has funny ways of changing things over time, for better or for worse. Your decisions can help shape that, but I guess some things do need to be left behind for future things to come. You can still decide, though. As for my friend..

I've had a lot of issues going on in my life lately, mostly derived from what happened at work a few months ago. My restaurant's corporate decided to tighten things even more by introducing a new role called Server Assistant. My coworkers and I knew about this role months in advance, and our managers told us some people may be demoted into this role depending on different factors. However, these factors came off as randomly decided by corporate, and I was one of the unlucky recipients. For 90 days I'm stuck as a Server Assistant, which is actually a glorified busboy that also walks food out to tables. At roughly half the income that I used to make as a server.

Because of the lowered income and the fact that I live entirely by myself, I've been scraping by on affording my rent, water, electricity, phone, internet, and food. Speaking of food, I haven't been eating much since I got demoted because I simply can't afford to. I've been paying late fees, have been unable to pay my internet bill (which is going to be cut off any day now), been incredibly stressed out over whether or not I'll afford rent in the coming month, etc. And then there's been the J factor, which has been stressful the past week because of my contained feelings for him. Add all this together and I've becoming very depressed on a daily basis. J was once my distraction from my problems and keeps my spirits up, but now I feel like he's another false hope in my life. I shouldn't feel that way, and I shouldn't add more stress to my everyday life, but that's what's happened.

Well, today was my day off and I didn't do much to entertain myself, just slowly doing some chores in my apartment and in being depressed I didn't want to go anywhere or see anyone - antisocial to put it in a word. However, I got a text from J as a reply from my tips about the website he's working on, and he asked how I was doing. I told him I was trying not to be depressed, and he wanted to know what's going on. I listed out everything stressing me out, including 'can't get rid of my feelings for a straight friend'. He said he wished things weren't crappy for me, and then said "This might sound a little presumptuous, but am I that straight friend?"

From there I texted him back, telling him that he is, that I'd never hit on a straight guy and swore I wouldn't after what happened with my best friend in highschool, and that I don't want to make things awkward in the friendship, ending with an apology. 10 minutes passed - no reply. Another 5 minutes and I started to panic. Almost half an hour after my message, he replied with 4-part text message:

"That was my concern too. I've been in the same situation before, and eventually I got so frustrated that I couldn't even be around them. And I really didn't want that to happen to you and me. You're way too good of a friend, but you gotta do what you gotta do... I don't want to make things harder than they already are. I mean, if you needed some space, I can do that, but if you're still okay with hanging out with me, id like to keep you as my friend"

I was stunned after reading that. It confirms he's straight. And he's okay with me having feelings for him. The part that stunned me the most is that he spoke in the past tense, that he already knew I had these feelings. That, or he worried that may happen to me because I'm a close gay friend. I don't know. I kind of don't want to dive into questions about it. All I did, after a few hours of collecting my mind, was respond by telling him how much I appreciate his understanding. His reply? "Of course man, you're still my friend, doesn't change anything on this end."

I nearly cried.

NightOwlGate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Sigh.

Oh, look. It's this thread again. http://i.imgur.com/waLZo.jpg

These kinds of posts are so formulaic it's hilarious. OP is infatuated so he tries to beg the question by interpreting things as "MY STRAIGHT FRIEND IS ONLY GAY FOR ME YAY."

And it always turns out with the straight guy being (surprise!) straight.

Last edited:

michaang

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Earlier this evening J and his girlfriend broke up. Not in the 'going on a break' kind of way; he collected everything she still had in his apartment and dropped it off at her doorstep, ignored her calls, and blocked her on facebook. I also found out they've been dating for almost a year, so it was a rather big deal. He says he feels liberated and that she probably will too. Then he told me to think on whether or not I want to have drinks with him tonight. Hours later to the present, he's about to head over and pick me up.

Part of me thinks this may be a bad idea, but I'll see what happens. In his messages he isn't coming off as upset, but suddenly wanting to go out drinking means he probably needs to vent his feelings, and he knows I'm a supporting shoulder for him.

michaang

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
marty08: Thanks :)

Been a busy weekend at work and had to take care of some personal stuff in life, but I'll recap what happened on Friday night and Saturday..

J picked me up and we headed to the Beauty Bar again. When we arrived we were the only guys there that weren't working, and there were a few dozen women standing around talking. He got us the first round of drinks and we sat on a couch in the room for a little while, talking about random things including the male/female ratio of the place. He asked me if I thought a particular girl was attractive and I looked at her, couldn't really place an opinion and said I wasn't sure. J laughed and apologized for bringing me to a place with so many women, and said he'd make it up to me by taking me to S4 (the gay club in Dallas.)

Within 30-40 minutes a lot of guys started coming in along with other women, so the place started to fill up a bit. We went outside to the patio to have a smoke and J talked about his newly ex girlfriend a bit, opening his feelings on the matter a bit. We finished our beers and we went to get another round. Initially he was going to pay but I wanted to pay for at least one round since this was his night. Then we began to get into the music and started to dance a bit. No one in the bar seemed to be dancing much, especially for a Friday night, and there was still plenty of room to dance around. Once the beats started to get really interesting, I let myself meld with the music. I ended up attracting the attention of a few women during this time and danced with them, and after a few more minutes I became the center of the dance floor. I had some people cheering me on, and I saw someone raise a camera and take some photos from behind the crowd in front of me. I had a LOT of fun, and after the song ended I decided I needed to go outside to cool down, so J went with me.

We sat down on a bench and J commented on how I was getting more girls than he was already. As we had another smoke I realized how much I was sweating while dancing, and told J I needed to get water soon. He smirked and noted something about my low alcohol tolerance for some reason, then said "you're a cheap date" and smiled. I was a bit surprised about his statement but just smiled back. After a while we went back in again, and we had finished our second round of drinks. He asked if I wanted another and I told him I'd wait a bit. I ended up dancing to another song and got the attention of some people again, then suddenly felt very worn out and went outside again.

Apparently J had been texting with a friend during that time who was at another bar and she was someone he briefly dated before his current(?/ex) girlfriend. He asked if I wanted to go to another bar I had heard of before, and I agreed since I was going along with his night. We closed out our small tabs and headed back to his car. On the drive to the other place he started telling me more history about his ex, then details about the girl we were meeting with at the other bar, and more personal details. We talked about a lot of things since the drive was about 20-25 minutes away.

When we arrived J's female friend (who I'll call N) was outside with several other people, and she was excited to see J. She bought both J and myself a round of drinks; a strong mixed drink for him, and I got a beer. Right after we sat down with N's friends, several of them said they were leaving and left. It was just me, J, N, and N's (very drunk) female friend. On the drive to this bar, J was telling me how sociable and fun N is, and seemed to project how much he liked her. The entire time we were there at the bar, most of the conversation was talking about the complication of N's friend's relationship. If not that, N was flirting with J and he seemed slightly uneasy about it.

Eventually it was cutoff time for alcohol and the bar was shutting down, and they began kicking everyone off the property. The four of us slowly left while N and her friend were trying to find their car. J said we'd find them really quick, and we ran off to his car. We circled around the parking lot to find them, and the girls were talking with some other people they ran into, and J decided to park in another spot and get out to talk to them. He handed me his iPhone and told me to select some music, then got out of the car and left me by myself.

When I unlocked his phone to get to the music app, the last thing he had open was him texting N. He had sent a text message only a few minutes prior, saying "Michael has a crush on me" without any prior texts relating to that. That shocked me a bit, wondering what was going on in his mind about that considering he said he had no issues with it. After almost 10 minutes or so, he finally came back to the car and said I selected one of his favorite podcasts and complimented me on my choice. We started driving back home and he inquired what I thought of N, talked more about his ex, and then got into talking about cars.

He brought up a story about when he was driving with a female friend of his and gets excited when he sees certain cars, saying that if there's one thing he's attracted to more than women is cars. He then stated "This may be a bit awkward, sorry" and said when he stopped at a red light and saw a certain car he's never seen in person before, he got excited and grabbed his friend's boob by accident out of excitement. Though he did this by grabbing my chest with his hand for a moment, a bit longer than I thought was normal. To me it wasn't awkward.. it was pretty hot and that aroused me a bit, but I mentally shook it off.

He went south on the highway instead of north and it seemed he was taking me back to my place to bring me home for the night, but shortly before reaching my place he remembered we hadn't finished watching The Shining, and got excited about it. He told me it was up to me if I wanted to go to his place or not, and I agreed to. So he did a u-turn at one of the highway exits, and we headed to his place. We spent a few hours before watching it (at like 4am) watching random videos or reading different articles on the internet, or standing out in his patio having a smoke and having talks about personal life.

One of the things J brought up was his tastes in dance music that originated from gay culture that rose several decades ago, and said "I must be the gayest guy when it comes to my tastes.. but I don't have sex with men." I found the statement a bit bold and true, but told him "Well don't worry about it. You are <his first and last name>, that's all that matters." He said he really appreciates that, and we talked about other things I can't recall at this time.

Eventually we started watching The Shining to see if we could finish it this time; we didn't, but we did get further. We both fell asleep on the couch again.

I'll finish typing out a few other things that happened on Saturday, but I have to get ready and leave for work at the time of this typing.

FelixM

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Auron, you and I are in a somewhat similar situation..I have a straight friend I have feelings for and I did tell my friend I am attracted to him and it doesn't seem to bother him...I'm 36 he's 30 (same age as my boyfriend)...I'm in a relationship and so is he..he's been with his girlfriend for 8 years, I've been with my boyfriend for 2 years...but he has spent at least 2/3 of the last 2 months at my house...I've cooked dinner for him me and my boyfriend several times...last week I made spaghetti and meatballs...he was here tonight and like you, him and I play games, usually we play Mortal Kombat on 360 or Monopoly on ps3...that or we watch stuff like South Park and Family Guy or a movie.....I think my relationship is on th verge of ending...I have met his girlfriend and she's ok, i don't think she's very pretty andi think he can do better but he tells me they fight alot lately, a week ago he was here with me andshe kept calling and yelling at him and he kept saying I don't wanna do this right now and he ignored her calls when she called back a few more times... like my boyfriend and me...when my boyfriend and I fight and we get really pissed at each other he leaves without telling me anything and won't answer my texts or calls and sometimes I get so pissed from being ignored I curse him out...he also asks me how my boyfriend and i are getting along...I like my friend very much and I think he's very cute...there are times I think he's attratced tome...he even told me he thinks I'm handsome, which I have to say almost gave me an instant hard on...I don't want things to be awkward for us, but damnit I want him...I'm always looking over at him when he's here and when him and I are alone we have very intimate conversations..I even told him my boyfriend and I don't have sex anymore and that i haven't had a blowjob in about 2 months.....he didn't seem to flinch when I said that, and sometimes I can't help looking at his crotch...I don't know what to do...

shard38

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Sigh.

Oh, look. It's this thread again. http://i.imgur.com/waLZo.jpg

These kinds of posts are so formulaic it's hilarious. OP is infatuated so he tries to beg the question by interpreting things as "MY STRAIGHT FRIEND IS ONLY GAY FOR ME YAY."

And it always turns out with the straight guy being (surprise!) straight.

Or not. My straight friend went from being absolutely straight to curious, to having a crush on me to in love. And although is not out to everyone yet, we're quite happy at the moment. I know it's rare, but it can happen.

Stephenmass

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I am assuming that you are the "Michael" in the text that said to "N" "Michael has a crush on me"? So it is clear that he knows without you telling him. What I don't understand about the whole thing is if he realizes this and he is not gay or bisexual, why he doesn't distance himself a bit knowing about your crush. That is what most str8 guys would do. Not so much break off the friendship, but distance it a bit knowing that the gay guy (you in this instance) is interested in him. But he seems to get you more and more for everything instead of distancing. No wonder you are confused as hell. I'd be (as a gay guy myself) a bit annoyed that he felt it necessary to send that text. Not pissed per se, but a touch annoyed, enough to ask him about it. It does seem you do have a crush on him obviously, yet he asks for your presence around him more instead of less. The text could be a good reason to breach the subject finally with him by asking him if you are making him uncomfortable as you saw the text. Admit seeing the text. I wish I could tell you what to do from here, but I do not know what his response would be. I would ask him about the text when the two of you are alone in either his place or yours. Tell him that it's not a crush per se (even if it is) but if he were not str8, you would have probably taken it further. Tell him further that you respect he is str8 and will continue to do so. The subject has been breached a bit by him (wondering if he WANTED you to see the text). That way you get to know where the two of you are exactly. Perhaps he is a bit confused himself if you are lucky and just needs to talk about it. Respect his space. Respect his str8ness if it is clear that he is. He does sound like an incredible friend but even to me he is sending you very mixed signals.

michaang

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Stephenmass: Yeah, I am Michael. In post #22 (yours being #29) is when I told him about my feelings for him, and that post includes his response. I hadn't posted what happened on Saturday after what happened on Monday (amongst other life issues that have been depressing me all week.)

Not much happened on Saturday, except I texted him in the afternoon before I had work about some work related things after he brought me home, and then mentioned I wasn't sure if I was doing anything for my birthday (which is next week). He asked when my birthday was, and was like "Oh snap, that's coming up!!", then said he was about to take a nap on the couch at his parents', but that "we'll do something for your birthday." As in.. J and myself? I don't know, we'll see what happens next week.

At around midnight after I had gotten off work he texted me about stuff he worked on with his dad, and an hour or so later I decided to ask him about the text he sent N. I said "So when you told me to select music in your car last night you had just sent a text to N about me, you sure it isn't bothering you?" He replied with "It 1000% is not... I promise, I wouldn't have gone out with you if it was" I then told him I was just making sure, and he said "Totally sure :)" I said cool, then changed the subject and talked about some things that happened during my shift at work, and got into work ethics (and how I try to strive for perfection at work.) He replied with "Continuous improvement ;)"

What threw me off about the wink-smiley is that he's never sent me one of those before. Yeah.. I know, I'm still being very analytical about everything, but it did make me wonder. Later in the day on Sunday I told him my legs were still sore from dancing on Friday night, and he said "That's awesome :)". I found that message a bit weird too.

Now for Monday.. I went into work and got sent back home 20 minutes after starting because it was -dead- at work, and I wasn't needed at all. As soon as I get home and start talking to J on facebook, he tells me his girlfriend came over in the afternoon, they talked things over, and then had makeup sex. They're apparently going to try to make things work, despite all the valid points he made on Friday/Saturday about why they shouldn't be dating. I fear this won't end well. He also talked about how he told N he wanted her to meet his girlfriend, but she suddenly seemed very distant (duh?), and that now he feels bad. Then he went into a long conversation about N and reasons why he wouldn't date her (as she seems to be attracted to trouble), and a few other details about her as well as his girlfriend.

To say the least, this news crushed me. Hard. I had two; no, three days off since I was cut from work on Monday, to be stuck alone and collect on that. I know that I don't have a crush on J any more, I'm definitely in love with him. I miss him when I'm not around him (especially those days), and he was either working or spending time with his girlfriend, so thinking about that dropped my mood even more. I decided on Tuesday night to bike as far as I could for exercise and to get my mind off the situation, which helped a little. I also hit a new goal of biking 17 miles in one go, previous best was 11 miles. I even discovered that I'm closer to White Rock Lake than I thought, so my new goal is to bike around the entire lake. I told J about this, along with the women I saw on horseback on the trails. He seemed very impressed, and said "I gave that woman a horse... Women love horses" in reply to my seeing some women on horses. Not sure if he was quoting something or giving some innuendo..

Hadn't talked to him much, though it seems every facebook status I post he either Likes and/or is the first to comment, even when he doesn't appear to be online when I post. He started messaging me on facebook last night and I had decided that I'm going to need space from him, so I told him I was going to sleep and would be busy with work all weekend and would probably talk to him next week. He seemed a bit upset but stated that we'd keep in touch. I just don't know what to do or think. All I know is my feelings have dived too far...

So yes, it is certainly odd that he seems to not care that I have feelings for him, and he does appear to give mixed signals.. but that just may be his character. Part of me just wonders if he's flattered or enjoys the fact that I'm into him. And yes, I do wonder if he wanted me to see that text he sent to N. The timing of all these things is just too weird.

ARGH. *slams head against the wall*

silvertriumph2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Auron...

What ever happened to the job possibility in California? Is that still active, or did it fall through?

Because of the drastic changes at your present work place, you seem to need a better paying job as well as some time to think. I know Cali is a long way from J, but to tell you the truth, I hope you get that new job and move to California. Yes, it is a long way from Texas and J....but you can still stay connected. There is email, texting, telephone...and something call "writing letters". But I would give it a while before getting into that. Being away from the problem will at least give you space and some time to think and make some big decisions.

I am not sure that a straight can make a go of a gay affair on a long time basis. Yes, they may be Bi or are curious, but if they are more straight than anything else...I believe it will
eventually take over.

And, why is he one way with you but tell things to others that is none of their business, ie...telling N about your feelings. Is seems to me he is not someone to put your faith in to keep things in confidence....like telling N about your sexual orientation. What has he said to others that you have no way of knowing about? I would feel very uncomfortable around his friends because I would be wondering what he has said...and what they were thinking. Also, what he has said to them...was it truthful or some untruth "stories" to entertain. He seems to like to talk about private problems and things of others...:shrug:
That would worry me.

Going away for a while can be a BIG help...I know for I was in your position at your age or a bit younger. I moved 500 miles away because I was a complete wreck. My friend and I were constantly together and staying over at each others places, but with nothing happening between us. It was almost the same as you are going through with J. The distance between us and not being with each other all the time...worked for
both of us. It made us realize how much we meant to each other...AND how much we missed each other. This "space" away from each other actually brought us together.

We had 3 good years together before he finally did marry. I was best man and am the godfather of his first child. We are still very close, but now are like brothers. We both moved on and our association is better for it.

Actually, he and his wife are coming to visit me here in NYC for a week in October, which they have done every year for the last 14 years. We take in Broadways shows every available matinee and every night.

You need to have some away from J, and your problem, with time to thing things through and put things into their proper perspective.

I hope for the best for both of you..if you two are meant for each other, time will tell. If not, move on and find another...

GOOD LUCK!!

Last edited:

Stephenmass

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Auron, thanks for pointing me to post #22. I thought I had all of it and read all of it. Apparently I missed a major part.

"That was my concern too. I've been in the same situation before, and eventually I got so frustrated that I couldn't even be around them. And I really didn't want that to happen to you and me. You're way too good of a friend, but you gotta do what you gotta do... I don't want to make things harder than they already are. I mean, if you needed some space, I can do that, but if you're still okay with hanging out with me, id like to keep you as my friend"

I suppose that is pretty clear. Sadly, but it is. Your being gay doesn't seem to bother him and he states fairly clearly that he had to stop having gay friends before and couldn't be around them. So now it really is up to you. He's never really come on to you or anything of the sort. He just seems to be a genuine, good friend, str8 guy. Now it is up to you whether you can be friends with him while respecting the fact that he is str8. I think (and it's hard) you must let go of your "fantasy" (sorry for using that word but could think of nothing else) of being with him and taking it further. He wants nothing more than your really good friendship and it seems he provides you with good friendship. For that reason, next time you see him, if I were you say something to the effect that we have had this talk before, and you know how I felt. I admire the fact that you befriended me knowing that I am gay and I also respect the fact that you are str8. I hope it never gets between us as I truly value your friendship.

Frankly, you DO value his friendship. Yes you want more but that cannot be had. He's been honest with you. Be honest with yourself. There is no reason you cannot still be wonderful friends with this str8 guy. You have both helped one another thru difficult times, spend time together, have good times, etc. Apparently he is not worried about you coming onto him and you already know by his words that it isn't going to happen the other way. So accept it for what it is. I should be so lucky to have a friend like that. I think good friendships, really good friendships (without sex) are very hard to come by. You can still be somewhat emotionally connected but not physically connected. And what is wrong with that? Being str8, that is the best he can give you.

dong-in-khakis

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I made a new friend recently, we have met three times. He's very handsome and very adequately hung. I could fall for him but won't let myself. I have been able to keep those feelings at bay.

I'd rather feel "almost" with him and savor that feeling when we're together than mess up what we have. Neither one of are out and don't want to come out.

It's good to have a friend and always have something to look forward too. Sometimes it's hard waiting until the next time you can see each other though.

D09eBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Sounds like. A really. Cool. Guy. . Someone. I would definitely wana keep as a friend. Rather than. Risk. Screwing it all up. With. Mixed feelings

michaang

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well it's been half a year since I've said anything. In this time, J had moved back to his parents, focused on getting his license for substituting in school, and I had some party-crazy roommates for a few months - that was an annoying period of time. In that time J and I only hung out once or twice a month.

However, lately we've been spending more time doing stuff each week, and yesterday was an interesting development.

Even though this happened on April Fool's Day, what happened is not a joke (although J thought I might be pulling a prank on him). Lately my right shoulder has been in a lot of pain, I believe from a pinched nerve. I took some pain meds and sleeping pills to get myself to sleep the previous night, and forgot to plug in my phone. When I woke up it was past 1PM and my phone was dead because I forgot to charge it. I'm extremely groggy so I plug in my phone to get it charged, and do some minor tasks around my apartment.

When I get back to my phone I've got missed calls, voicemails, text messages, and facebook messages all from J. He killed my phone in my sleep with the battery it had left when I wen to bed, but I never woke up. Apparently he spent an hour trying to wake me up, banging on my windows and my door back and forth (from what his messages and what he told me later), stopping to get some food from a place down the street and coming back. I never knew this because I was dead asleep; I'm a heavy sleeper, and the sleeping pills only put me in a deeper one.

Part of his messages stated he was worried whether or not I was alive, and that I may not be home. Well seriously, if I don't respond after 5 minutes of knocking on the door, it'd be better to assume I'm not home rather than dead? He got off his substitution work early and we had previously planned to hang out in the evening, but he apparently insisted on spending the whole day with me. And thought I died.

So he came over since I was finally conscious and brought over some board games that he just bought as that's his new hobby. We went outside to my patio to have a smoke and he was telling me about how long he knocked on my windows and door, and how he was surprised he didn't have someone call the cops on him. And in his slacks, he had a very noticeable hard-on for several minutes. It eventually shrunk down over time, but it could not have been mistaken for a fold in his pants.

When we went back inside, he noticed how tired I still was and asked me if I wanted to go back to sleep, that he could just take a nap in the living room until I woke up. He really wanted to be around me for some reason. I didn't want to ruin my sleeping schedule any further though, and decided to eat something to wake up. J proceeded to introduce me to one of the board/card games he got, and time flew from there. We played several games, went out to get food and come back, and did a few things on my computer. We also watched the first 3 episodes of Game of Thrones since he hadn't seen it before. By the time we did all that it was midnight.

Throughout the day he kept going to the bathroom to pee, but had some longer than normal time gaps before flushing the toilet. I also once again noticed a bulge a few times when he came back from my restroom. It was odd, but surprising to me. I don't recall ever noticing him having a boner before yesterday, and we frequently spend time together.