August Poll - Your Choice For President - 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Poor livestock. Next thing you know cows will be invading neighboring farms and ranches to steal their feed. All in the name of "freedom".

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In today's news:

"President Bush told a roomful of top Pentagon brass on Thursday that his administration would never stop looking for ways to harm the United States."

jay

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by jay_too@Aug 6 2004, 03:26 PM
In today's news:

"President Bush told a roomful of top Pentagon brass on Thursday that his administration would never stop looking for ways to harm the United States."
Source for the above quote (NY Times; scroll down to the 9th paragraph)

Elsewhere in the Big Apple, New York Press magazine's front cover article is an editorial by William Bryk called The Conservative Case Against George W. Bush. In it, he argues that -- based on conservative principles: states' rights, religious freedom, limited government, balanced budgets -- America would be "better served" by defeating Bush.

From the article:

American conservatives seek what Lord Acton called the highest political good: to secure liberty, which is the freedom to obey one's own will and conscience rather than the will and conscience of others. Any government, of any political shade, that erodes personal liberty in the name of social and economic progress must face a conservative's reasoned dissent, for allowing one to choose between right and wrong, between wisdom and foolishness, is the essential condition of human progress. [...] American conservative politics championed private property, an institution sacred in itself and vital to the well-being of society. It favored limited government, balanced budgets, fiscal prudence and avoidance of foreign entanglements. [...]

But the policies of this administration self-labeled "conservative" have little to do with the essence of tradition. Rather, they tend to centralize power in the hands of the government under the guise of patriotism. If nothing else, the Bush administration has thrown into question what being a conservative in America actually means. [...]

To sum up: Anything beyond the limited powers expressly delegated by the people under the Constitution to their government for certain limited purposes creates the danger of tyranny. We stand there now. For an American conservative, better one lost election than the continued empowerment of cynical men who abuse conservatism through an exercise of power unrestrained by principle through the compromise of conservative beliefs. George W. Bush claims to be conservative. But based upon the unwholesome intrusion into domestic life and personal liberty of his administration and the local governments who imitate it, George W. Bush is no conservative, no friend of limited, constitutional government—and no friend of freedom. The Republic would be better served by his defeat in November.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Somehow I'm sure this is illegal, but it worked.

Oh, it's interesting how Bush said just a few weeks ago, eight times, "The American people are safer." And then to justify his policies, he said "We are a naton in danger." What do you call someone who simultaneously takes both positions? I've heard it in ads recently . . . A flippity, floppity, flippy . . .

ponybilt

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Again, diversionary tactics: Market data more than likely points to the public's feelings of Bush being self-contradictory. Campaign solution: accuse the opponent of exactly that, thereby diverting attention from one's own inadequacies.

Bush Warns Americans They Are Still Not Safe

Unfortuantely it's not just terrorism that threatens us -- it's Bush... ignoring jobs data, vacationing while he should be leading, turning a blind eye to energy problems, ransacking the environment, bankrupting the treasury, ad infinitum.

Happy voting :)

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Right now, I would vote for Satan himself if he were running against the shrub. And that is an extremely sad situation to be in and I doubt if I am alone. We are no longer in a position to vote "for" someone but must now cast our vote "against" a candidate....if it gets counted at all. Diebold not withstanding :angry: .

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Well, terrorism doesn't threaten us that much; actually, you're more likely to be struck by lightning or die of the common cold than be killed by terrorists.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
White Faces For Bush

I was just watching a few minutes of a Bush campaign rally in Jacksonville on C-SPAN. It looks like there's probably at least a couple hundred people there, but I don't see one black, Asian, or Latino face in the entire crowd. I think that speaks volumes.

jimbo310: Whatever happened to Lyndon LaRouche? He's my first choice!

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Well, Europeans are familiar with this kind of thing; in the early 20th century, fascists won elections with much the same means: Debating which vote counts as what.

Oh, Mark? In case you've forgotten, err . . . how to be PC? Democrat-Americans can't vote in Florida.

I just wish the GOP could decide if Kerry's the most liberal voice in the Senate or if he's a flip-flopper.

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
With intelligence our minds have to change with changing conditions. Why the Republicans think calling Kerry a flip-flopper is degrading just indicates to me the narrow minds so many of them have. I'm praying enough citizens will recognize the truth in that and replace the shrub in the White House. regardless of the number of times the nominee has seen fit to change his mind.

aka Luke

Javierdude22: Quickly:

Who actually believes Kerry will win the coming elections, regardless of whether you wánt him to win.

Even though the tactics are hardly ethical, I must hand it to Dubya: he knows how to campaign...and how to smudge a persons track record.

Other people (probably with links 2 Bush) discredit Kerry.

Bush says he wants nothing to do with the ads, his conscience is clean in the eye of the majority of American Voters (apparently, judging from the last LA times poll).

Kerry: Boohoo...Bush is having other people discredit me!

How does Kerry look: like a passive whining lil kid. Bush: The same as always, dense but firm.

Either Kerry simply doesnt know how to get the message across, or he has some exceptionally in experienced campaign advisors.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm not sure where you're getting your news from, but you've wholly misrepresented what's going on in this country.

First of all, Kerry's definitely getting the message across about Bush's smear tactics. Here is his latest campaign ad, which shows pretty effectively that attacking the patriotism of a veteran is a pattern of behavior for Bush.

Second, Democrats are exposing Bush's misrepresentation of his own military record. In an earlier campaign, Bush claimed to have served in the Air Force, instead of the Air National Guard (the latter requires much less commitment.)

Third, Kerry's team exposed a link between the Bush campaign and the 527 organization that ran the attack ads: Ben Ginsburg served for both organizations and has since resigned from the Bush campaign. Legally, this may not constitute sufficient coordination to disqualify SVFT's 527 status, but read on . . .

Fourth, and this has not broken in mainstream media yet, so you may be hearing this first: One of the actors in the SVFT ad, Ken Cordier, also served on a Bush campaign advisory committee. (Source). This, in the eyes of the FEC, probably will be a strong enough link to disqualify SVFT from its 527 status.

Status
Not open for further replies.