Aunt Pronounced "Ant" , "Awnt" Or "Arent"

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think we're gonna see a big national divide on this one. OK I take back what I said about most common. It is in my country anyhow.

ps; how can ant be the correct saying? the u is there for a reason!

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
You forgot the hillbilly "aint."

I grew up with relatives all over the country. There was AWNT Carole in Virginia, ANT Barbara in New York and AINT Lizzie in Texas.

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
different words are derived from different languages so certain letters are silent.

Yes, I do know about silent letters :rolleyes: But with this specific word I dont think that it applies. Americans & other have just gotten use to pronouncing it a certain way. But that doesn't make it the correct way. Which is the question after all.

B_bball233223

Just Browsing
Media
Yes, I do know about silent letters :rolleyes: But with this specific word I dont think that it applies. Americans & other have just gotten use to pronouncing it a certain way. But that doesn't make it the correct way. Which is the question after all.
freedictionary.com says it's a middle english word and pronounced "ant", but who knows.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I come from Connecticut but lived all over New England, New York State, and now the midwest.

I grew up saying something more like "Ont" (rhymes with font), but as you move towards Boston it turns into more like "Awnt" (rhymes with haunt).

These days I still say "Ont", although most of my accent has been flattened out by the midwest.