Aussie Rules (Not Footy)

tillyrox

Experimental Member
Media
Well i was just reading nix's birthday post and i have been talking to a few americans, and i thought wtf?, u have to be 21 before u can legally drink and a pub and do all that sort of stuff,

Now here is my point, is it because aussies are so laid back and pissed off their faces most of the time that our legal age is 18, like for me and my bros 18th we were taken straight to the nearest pub by our family and bought our first beer, (well technically not our first but u know what i mean)

So what else is different, i mean our legal age is 18 once ur 18 u are an adult u can drink, smoke, vote etc. When ur 17 u can drive on ur own anytime u like, just comparing my culture to yours in america its making me think maybe we are a very laid back and drunk country.

Anyway thats my 2 bobs worth, just wondering thats all, lol

Luv Ya's
Tilly

hippyscum

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by tillyrox@Sep 22 2005, 08:29 AM
Well i was just reading nix's birthday post and i have been talking to a few americans, and i thought wtf?, u have to be 21 before u can legally drink and a pub and do all that sort of stuff,

Now here is my point, is it because aussies are so laid back and pissed off their faces most of the time that our legal age is 18, like for me and my bros 18th we were taken straight to the nearest pub by our family and bought our first beer, (well technically not our first but u know what i mean)

So what else is different, i mean our legal age is 18 once ur 18 u are an adult u can drink, smoke, vote etc. When ur 17 u can drive on ur own anytime u like, just comparing my culture to yours in america its making me think maybe we are a very laid back and drunk country.

Luv Ya's
Tilly
[post=345574]Quoted post[/post]​

I think you'll find from the following posts that the US is very strange regarding the legal age to do things. You have to be 21 to drink, but you can be drafted at 18.

You think Australia's good, Scotland is amazing regarding certain laws! You can drink alcohol at 16, you're just not allowed to buy alcohol until you're 18 (I just remember hearing this someplace, it might be bullshit, and in fact, most likely is), you can smoke at 16, learn to drive at 17 and get married at 16. The age of marriage in the US is strange though, I think it varies from state to state, is it not 14 in Mississippi? Or am I thinking of the death penalty? :dunce:

BruceSter

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by tillyrox@Sep 22 2005, 01:29 AM

So what else is different, i mean our legal age is 18 once ur 18 u are an adult u can drink, smoke, vote etc.  When ur 17 u can drive on ur own anytime u like, just comparing my culture to yours in america its making me think maybe we are a very laid back and drunk country.

Luv Ya's
Tilly

Yeah, that's really something I never liked, but it's something you can work around usually, if you're slick enough, or have good-natured parents (or older siblings). Me and a girlfriend had our first beers when we were merely 16-year-olds, and also went to bars (which are allowed only legal-age plus) because we both LOOKED and ACTED like old enough. And if anyone should ask, she was able to produce ID's that stated her age as legal, but that's just the emergency brake.

Is it true what I heard, that in Aussieland all kinds of hard liquor are very costly, or is that just a hoax someone told me?

Bruce

tillyrox

Experimental Member
Media
i was 16 when i had my first beer, but had had sips from dads stubbie from the time i was teething, just a good thing to do i spose, lol.
Alcohol isnt that dear here although i havent got anything to compare it too, so yeah.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Believe it or not, a few U.S. Senators (namely, Republican Senator Elizabeth Dole of North Carolina) have been mulling over the idea of raising the drinking age to 24. Dole already takes credit for pushing it up to 21 many years ago.

Remember when Republicans used to say that they were for "keeping government out of people's lives"? Funny - I don't hear many of them saying that anymore.

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Here in Canada the drinking age is 19. I love going to the Niagra falls
area and watching all the american colle students come across the border
to drink. Brings back fond memories. ALthough I was only 16 or 17.

hippyscum

Experimental Member
Media
And I took full advantage of it last night :beer:

Originally posted by ORCABOMBER@Sep 23 2005, 08:28 AM
Well, England is OK if you want to get "slashed". 24 drinking licenses now available! W00t.
[post=345844]Quoted post[/post]​

wonderland

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The drinking age at 21 is silly. People are going to act stupid at any age and if 18 is legal age for everything else it should be for drinking too.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It's perfectly acceptable to be considered a "man" in America, go to war and get your balls (if you're lucky) blown off, die, vote for assholes, assume debt, own property, buy firearms to kill people.............but FUCK, 18 year olds aren't mature and responsible enough to drink!!!!!!!!!

smallman

1st Like
Media
Originally posted by tillyrox@Sep 22 2005, 04:29 AM

Luv Ya's
Tilly

i think the bold quote is the best reply i can give. i started drinking/toking when i was like thirteen, and Ive never been punished by civil authorities -even when consuming in fornt of them. the only purpose laws like that serve is too allow politicians to argue over who is "softer" on crime and then bust abung of poor people.