Aussie Rules...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by vince, Apr 25, 2009.

1. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I just watched the annual ANZAC Day match between Essendon and Collinwood. WOW. What a great game... Essendon by 5.

I don't watched much team sports on TV, but Footie is a great game. Non-stop, tough action, simple rules, sexy players...:biggrin1: What's not to like?

Any other fans here?

2. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I tend not to watch much sports either but I spent several months over the last two years living in Melbourne's Docklands district right across the street from the Telstra Dome (er, now called Etihad Stadium). Anyway, I'd never watched AFL until I decided to check it out.

I purchased some tickets and began watching a few games. I saw St Kilda play Geelong and some other games. I don't know much about AFL or its history but the bi-weekly crowds at the Dome and the non-stop media coverage told me it was wildly popular in Victoria.

I was struck by the simplicity of footie, particularly the absence of delays and stoppages in the action which, in my opinion, are the bane of American style football. I liked the flow and all the kicks and marks set and all.

I'll be back next time I visit Melbourne.

3. D_Cock_Hudson

D_Cock_Hudson New Member

Aussie Rules football was shown here in the UK by Channel 4 a few years ago, but I never really enjoyed it as much as rugby.

Anyway, it was the last ANZAC day before Australia lose the Ashes back to England- and I've got a ticket for the Lords test match!

Draft saved Draft deleted