Australian brushfires

ital8

Experimental Member
Media
I've been reading about these horror stories of brushfires in Australia . People have been killed in their cars, homes, or what not. For all the Aussie folk on this board, my prayers go out to all of you. I hope things get better.

Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes it is pretty horrific in that part of the country, not bad we have bushfires down south and bad flooding in the north of the country. I was in tears watching the news last night, it was so sad.

My thoughts and prayers are with the people in those areas also.

Elmer Gantry

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Saturday was horrific weather for firefighters down here. Temperatures in the mid 40C's, high, hot winds coming from the North and the bush was tinder dry after a week of 40C weather a week or so ago.

The cost in lives is 108 this morning and still climbing and will for weeks. Thousands of acres are gone along with whole rural towns. There's still seven major fire fronts raging even after the weather change.

Terrible.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It's terrible. People are dying in their homes and in their cars as they flee. I wish them the best for an end to these terrible wildfires.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I wouldn't doubt this is terrorist at work, near my area in a different county there has been 24 arson fires with in a 25 mile radius this year alone.

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I wouldn't doubt this is terrorist at work, near my area in a different county there has been 24 arson fires with in a 25 mile radius this year alone.

Well arsonists are terrorists of a kind. What a horrible way to die.

ps; why are people saying brushfires on this thread? Its bushfires, surely.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is just awful...i hadn't been paying much attention to this, as the first reports were rather sparse of info, but now, christ...166 dead? Tragic...something like 900 square miles decimated.

stories about a woman and her children taking refuge in a wombat burrow and being saved from the flames.

It is hard to imagine a fire moving at 60 MPH like that...can only imagine the terror...

i fear the true number of casualties will only get worse. :frown1:

is there any link or site that is offering/accepting contributions or aid? Or does the government have the costs/aid issue under control? If not, i am sure myself and many others would like to donate to the poor folks who have lost everything.

ital8

Experimental Member
Media
Well arsonists are terrorists of a kind. What a horrible way to die.

ps; why are people saying brushfires on this thread? Its bushfires, surely.

That would be my fault. I meant to write bushfires, but made the mistake twice. On a more serious note, it looks like the death toll could surpass 200 and some of the fires are still not under control. I've been watching some videos of news footage down there and I've heard on numerous occasions of people talking about losing loved ones. Does anyone know if they caught any arsonists?

B_stu.kay823

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Stu just wrote about this in his blog. The fires are right outside his home. Its all so tragic that the fires were started on purpose.

Stu's Blog

Actually, Jase, they're about 10 miles away. But just to give you an idea of how bad it's been...

174 people confirmed dead statewide (21 locally, including my former boss). Contingencies for 300+

300,000 hectares scorched

57 of 61 residences destroyed

http://player.video.news.com.au/heraldsun/#5pHYswtPYbxebbKn12MZxXfSsaAFnr2_

Last edited: