Auto flush toilets....

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by rubberwilli, Mar 9, 2007.

1. rubberwilli

rubberwilli Member

Albums:
    1) Is it me or did I miss some legislation that manadated that these things be installed in ever possible public venue.

2) My impression is that they only been forced upon the men and not on the women. Women, are you finding auto flush toilets in your public restrooms, misfiring at every little twitch or wrinkle in your black shirts?

I HATE THESE THINGS.

Discuss......

2. scanjock8

scanjock8 Active Member

Albums:
    They are sort of annoying, but I don't mind one less bathroom surface to touch...or miss being greeted by the unflushed turd of a stall's previous occupant.

And why is it ladies rooms are often much nicer than mens rooms? Is it some sort of penis-envy-payback conspiracy?

3. rubberwilli

rubberwilli Member

Albums:
    My impression is that they are/were installed under the guise of water conservation, low water flushes, but they hardly conserve water when they misfire all the time...

4. scanjock8

scanjock8 Active Member

Albums:
    ...Which is probably why I can't resist pressing the little button for a second or third flush--fulfilling some need to assert control over a fucking toilet!

Sensor faucets are truly maddening. Even worse--sensor soap dispensers.

5. BlackCock85

Gold Member

Albums:
    So What's the problem with them?

6. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've also noticed the increasing number of autoflush toilets and am puzzled by the trend. Are men, taken as a group, so lame they can't be bothered to remember to flush? If so, do they also need an auto-wipe funtion as well?

7. markw

markw New Member

Albums:
    One less surface to touch.. can't be bad

One thing I truly "hate" is fckers who don't wash their hands after a piss (and esp after a shit).

8. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    So.

This thread is not about the top secret new prototype automobiles Detroit has developed (comfort coupled with an onboard methane generator) as part of the plan to win back the American market.

Carry on. :wink:

9. rubberwilli

rubberwilli Member

Albums:
    A) I have a feeling that the women aren't seeing them to anywhere near the level that the men are.

B) If they truly are a water saving device, then they need alot of work because you twitch the wrong way and they autoflush, then you twitch again and you flushed a second time in the same sitting or stand. Where;s the water saved there?

C) They are often tied to very powerful flushing devices to flush faster with less water. Thus when they misfire, you run a greater risk of getting splashed by toilet water in the midst of trying to use the device, so it's just a dirty, but in a new and devious way.

D) As scanjock pointed out, there are also the sensor hand washers, soap and towel dispenser that have exactly the opposite problem, you can never get them to work.

It's automation gone amuck if you ask me!

10. Principessa

Gold Member

The auto-flush toilets started appearing in ladies restrooms well over 10 years ago. I agree with MarkW, one less surface to touch can't be bad.

scanjock8:
    • It's only high end restaurants and department stores that have nicer facilities for women.
    • I always assumed it was because we have to sit down for everything.
    • In the not so distant past it was usually the woman who took the child to the bathroom when out. So there are often low benches and chairs in the rest room for that reason. Especially prior to the advent of the wall hanging diaper changer.
    • Also many women are not comfortable whipping out a boob at the food court and are forced to breast feed in the bathroom.

next question...
    :smile:

11. No_Strings

Gold Member

Thankfully, I've never come across an auto-flushing toilet - don't think I really want to either :confused:

12. danerain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thank you for explaining that? Now it makes so much more sense.

13. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    One thing I wonder about: They are seem to use more force, which puts more droplets of liquid into the air. I want to have a shower after using one.

14. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    And if you happen to be sitting on the seat while the autoflush decides to cycle, get ready to feel a cool rush of droplet-laden wind in sensitive places.

15. Yummy

Yummy New Member

Auto flushing toilets are very common in womens restrooms. It is a trend that has swept outwards from airports. The less surfaces you touch, the less germs are transmitted.

16. scanjock8

scanjock8 Active Member

Albums:
    So considerate, leaving their fecal bacteria on the door ahead of you...if they don't wash you can bet they're sloppy wipers too...

I don't consider myself a germ freak, but public restrooms are fraught with shared surfaces--toilets being the cleanest according to one of those lame TV newsmagazines.

17. scanjock8

scanjock8 Active Member

Albums:
    OK, OK--I yield to nursing mothers. I'm sure I had my share of diaper changes in ladies lounges.

And maybe to a lesser degree these days, but women still need a place to "freshen up." Men just whip it out, aim for a scented urinal puck, fart, wash and go--no need (or desire) to linger:)

18. rubberwilli

rubberwilli Member

Albums:
    Ah, for the days of the lounge and separate facilities. Some old movie houses that have been renovated and rejuvenated still have a men's and women's lounge before the facilities. Quite civilized I must admit. The good old days.

I worked at a university building where the ladies had a lounge with couch and separate fridge in a room prior to their facilities. The guys had to use two under counter dorm size fridges for their lunches and I always felt gypped somehow. I think they later turned it into and office and provided a separate entrance to the facilities.

But I digress...

I hate auto flush devices!

19. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

In the Uk autoflush toilets are usually of the kind where you have to pass your hand about 4 inches in front of a senser so they don't usually flush accidentally.
    And to the guy who asked why ladies rooms are so much nicer than men's toilets - it's because we don't piss on the floor :)

20. rubberwilli

rubberwilli Member

Albums:
    ROLFLMAO - Touche!

Draft saved Draft deleted