AV8s scan bull

Mensch1351

Cherished Member
Media
In the only other State that begins with "K"!
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm not really that computer saavy -- however --- can anyone explain to me what's up with this AVS8 scan or something like that which keeps popping up on my computer when I visit a LOT of websites?? You can't get rid of it until you click ok and when it starts I just close the window (really fast before it gets started) I ALREADY have a very effective pop up blocker on my computer, but this one seems to get through.

Is there a way to get rid of it? Is it harmful? thanks to all of you who really know about this stuff!!

Riven650

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have had similar pop up web pages when surfing on my Mac: The sort that say "your hard disk needs cleaning so here's a program that'll do it", etc. and a program starts to download. I'm not sure if it was called AVS8; I just cursed the thing and closed the window. Bloody annoying.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I have had similar pop up web pages when surfing on my Mac: The sort that say "your hard disk needs cleaning so here's a program that'll do it", etc. and a program starts to download. I'm not sure if it was called AVS8; I just cursed the thing and closed the window. Bloody annoying.

Riven: Are you using Snow Leopard (latest operating system), all updates, and have your popup blocker set to ''On"? You shouldn't be receiving any pop ups or ads for scanning software. If anyone is having trouble with a Mac and the newest OP, you can download a free version of Tech Tools Deluxe that will removed every cookie crumb and overwrite "bad" sectors that really are not bad, but just seem that way because of unwanted malware.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Sounds like you have a variant of the Rogue "Fake Alert" malware.
It is very vicious, and is very difficult to get rid of as it is similar to a VX2 morphing virus.
It indicates you have trouble with your PC and starts a scan which Looks like your "My Computer" drive list....which is totally bogus, and then finds "phony - for the time being" viruses and then asks you to pay for it to remove the viruses. It's all fake, except for when you put your credit card number in.
It continues to pop up here and there, but in the background it re-routes connectivity to your PC, steals logged I.E. files such as text typed, passwords, credit card numbers etc etc and slowly launches more and more viruses until your PC is basically un-usable.
Some of the variants are worse - like one of my clients just had. The second the malware is detected by an antivirus or anti-malware program, it re-names itself and re-installs on the Hard drive ready for the next boot.
Most of these are coming in from Java exploits, but are also on links that are re-directed URL's that appear OK.

That's what bothers me the most about the Adult Video portion of the forum. I try to flag them when I catch bad links, but it's impossible to catch all, and...each page has different advertising ads that cycle, so one day the site might be OK, the next ...BAM.

First things first. Shut off system restore.

Download Malwarebytes.org and see if you can pull it out. If you can't, depending on the variant of that Rogue, you may need to dive deeper in.

What Antivirus are you using? If none, download Avast Antivirus. AVG Free is weak and cannot pull viruses like Avast can during a "Boot time scan". Important note...if you have Norton or McAfee, you may need to disable these first, as the programs will conflict.

Whatever you do, don't leave it run free - it will only imbed itself worse into the operating system and start multiplying itself.
If you need help, I can remote in and check it out if you like.

Last edited:

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sounds like you have a variant of the Rogue "Fake Alert" malware.

Download Malwarebytes.org and see if you can pull it out. If you can't, depending on the variant of that Rogue, you may need to dive deeper in.

Whatever you do, don't leave it run free - it will only imbed itself worse into the operating system and start multiplying itself.
Yes, Malwarebytes should get rid of it. Empty the browser history (cache) also. He needs too get rid of this. It can do some real damage to his computer.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

Last edited:

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Might wanna check this out too.

The home of Spybot-S&D!

Don't know if this is your problem or not but a couple people i know ran into this one.

Fake AVG Antivirus 2011

Yep, Antivirus 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, Antivir, etc etc. All the Rogue Malware, just different variants and different impacts.

Viruses and Malware are getting more and more sophisticated, and the damage payloads larger and larger.
You can Try Spybot Search and Destroy, but from what I have tried, only Malwarebytes and Avast have been able to remove them, minus a few other specialty one-off programs from the larger vendors.
McAfee and Norton simply are too busy with their own bloatware to handle the infection.
Many of these damage and corrupt the operating system, which even though you successfully remove the infection, you'll still have to re-install windows or repair windows files from the damage that is done.