"Avatar" Rocks

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
To be frank, the plot IS a tad old and overused... But the AMAZING graphics make up for it :smile:

Hell, there was one scene where the camera looked down a cliff... I actually shrank back in my seat due to vertigo :biggrin1:

I did that during the opening sequence of The Sound of Music from the front row of the balcony in Cinerama when I was 12!

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I thought the movie was great, too. Unprecedented in many ways, and the graphics were out of this world [pun].

Although I thought Cameron was a little over the top on his message of Imperialism by the U.S.; annihilating sacred areas and a pristine environment to harvest riches.

Exactly what was his hidden message there - Alaska? Iraq?

I don't remember him peddling political agendas in Terminator or Titanic. Unless Jack was an innocent liberal and the Titanic was an evil conservative.:eek:

Not a "political agenda", not even fiction, actually... which is why the film evokes such emotion (as well as responses from would be keepers of "the faith").

If you want to know what exactly was the "hidden message", start by looking up the following:

Survival International - The movement for tribal peoples

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I did the 3D. I guess it was a good movie that I would recommend one see...but I didn't think it was a showstopper "OMG tell all your friends" movie.

The effects in 3d were pretty cool.
If you haven't been out in a while to see a show - go see this one. It's pretty neat, and you'll enjoy yourself.

What I did find refreshing is that I didn't have to watch some lame ass action hero toungue bathe some chick on the screen.

I'm hoping to see Lightning Thief

Last edited:

L_Lynn

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I loved it. It was visually stunning- STUNNING.
Since I'm a bit passionate, I'll admit I cried at certain points.
Okay, maybe even sobbed a little....
Yelled in righteous indignation occasionally....
Threw things at the screen but only twice....
Exclaimed a few well-placed expletives....
Cheered at the end.

I know, I know.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I read a review that said that the Digital 3D version was the best experience. It said the Imax 3D was a little blurry and overwhelming.

I've read that it wasn't shot in Imax so while it is still good, it might be better seen in Digital 3D.

I saw the first 10 minutes online (and enjoyed it) and then I decided that it would be better seen on a big screen. I hope to go soon.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
OMG the vatican and the pope are speaking out against this film now. Does everyone have to get on the fn train. Don't worship nature is there complaint.

D_Kissimmee Coldsore

Experimental Member
Media
The Vatican's views on Avatar are the itty-bittiest of the bones I have with it. Let them moan, they obviously like it.

This was the first and so far only film I have seen in 3D, it wasn't iMax so I assuime that means it was digital 3D (are there only two? I should read up on that). It was a very cool experience. At some points I flinched a little in my chair at things flying into the screen (and seemingly my face). Very cool. It was beautiful really, visually truly a modern work of art. The story is the same as Pocahontas, and many other films, but to be fair it is quite a big story. It's what mankind likes to do, raid and pillage. So it's relevant in any age and in any setting/format. I really enjoyed it and it's made me less suspicious of 3D cinema (I had marked it down purely as a gimmick).

Go and watch it if you're one of the 100 people who haven't yet.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have to admit I am slightly disgusted by how popular this movie is. It just isn't as good as everyone seems to be making in my opinion. To an abnormal extent.

I think what people are impressed by is the graphics and use of 3D which are undeniably "WOW". The story is good but not groundbreaking, but that's really not the selling point.

Think of it this way. Every holiday throngs of people can be counted on to flock to see fireworks, either sitting uncomfortably on the ground or standing clustered at prime vantage points. They'll "ooh" and "ahh" and smile and go home happy (even with the inevitable traffic jams afterward). All without a shred of storyline.

Avatar is a really impressive fireworks display with a decent storyline and a feel good ending. What's to complain about? It may be fluff but it's freaking good fluff.

MrGoodDate

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I saw it as a poke against colonialism,,,, whether Europeans vs Native Americans; or the invation of Iraq, ---- the idea that white people somehow have a right to anybody elses riches. NT Times commented about it being a cowboys and indians thing, and the Avatar (a white person) was needed to rescue the poor natives. Someone saw a resemblance of the tree in "The Little Prince."
The show was marvelous in the scenes on the planet : computer generated. I did not like the idea of violence against violence, of course the good guys win.
I plan to see it in 3D.

bobabooey69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Saw it in IMAX 3D, it was spellbinding. It's been years since I've been so engaged by a film. Before the movie started there were some loud jocks in the row in front of me saying "Ferngully with Smurfs", but after the first 2 minutes they were as quiet as mice. :p

While some people complain that the plot is simplistic, in some ways yes, but a simple plot is not always a bad one. I like things that are defined in clear lines and don't muck things up ( all the politics in the Star Wars prequels...blah!)

The 3D was done very well, used for depth of field and immersion, and lets not even begin with the awesome, awesome CGI...game changer indeed.

Welcome back James Cameron, thanks for showing the hacks that have been running Hollywood while you were gone how it's done.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Saw it the first time in Imax 3D and the second time in digital 3D. The main difference is the Imax is taller in the vertical direction, so there is more picture there. Cost twice as much too. Imax glasses are square, D3D are rectangular.

I agree that it is totally absorbing. Little details like all the flora and fauna have some bioluminescent features. Even the Na'vi. I was so into it I didn't notice until the second time.

Very funny find Flame Boy.

Last edited:

bobabooey69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have to admit I am slightly disgusted by how popular this movie is. It just isn't as good as everyone seems to be making in my opinion. To an abnormal extent.

Peope will have their tastes and sometimes a movie will resonate with a large group of people

We have had hacks like Michael Bay and once great fantasy filmmakers like Lucas and Spielberg making pure garbage and people were eating up out of sheer despiration.

You should'nt take it personally, just ignore it if it's not your thing.

And we all agree Cameron always ups the ante when he makes the sequel (Aliens, T2) so expect Avatar 2 to have a much deeper story.

I thought it was amazing! "I see you, Silvertrain!" lol

Incidentally, I noticed the soundrack sounded very Titanic...and on the end credits, yes, it's another James Horner score. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't remember him peddling political agendas in Terminator or Titanic. Unless Jack was an innocent liberal and the Titanic was an evil conservative.:eek:

The Titanic was a liberal ship of dreams! But that bloody stubborn, conservative iceberg got in the way. :mad: :tongue:

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
That's because liberal dreams sound really good until it's actually applied. Just look at how well it worked for the Titanic!!

>DUCKS<

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Saw it the first time in Imax 3D and the second time in digital 3D. The main difference is the Imax is taller in the vertical direction, so there is more picture there. .

There is actually less picture (just bigger) in a more vertical direction. Even the digital 3D I heard has less width than most other feature films.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My shortened review is visually stunning, pretty flat otherwise. Turn your brain off for this movie, you wont need it.

Not only won't you need it, but if you do use your brains you will begin to see plot holes.

Also the movie is 40 minutes too long.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
There is actually less picture (just bigger) in a more vertical direction. Even the digital 3D I heard has less width than most other feature films.
I considered that, but if Imax is supposed to be a higher definition format, cutting off the sides to fill the frame would be a step in the wrong direction. The vertical aspect is taller in Imax, so there is more picture top and bottom. I guess it would be fairly easy to google the answer. From what I've been able to gather, I'm right.

This is also the first time I've seen a movie where the 3D was just part of the experience as opposed to being distracting or annoying.

bobabooey69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I considered that, but if Imax is supposed to be a higher definition format, cutting off the sides to fill the frame would be a step in the wrong direction. The vertical aspect is taller in Imax, so there is more picture top and bottom. I guess it would be fairly easy to google the answer. From what I've been able to gather, I'm right.

This is also the first time I've seen a movie where the 3D was just part of the experience as opposed to being distracting or annoying.

In a way, yes, but Avatar was not shot with 70mm IMAX cameras, it was shot with the Fusion camera system which is comparable to the resolution of 35mm stock, only stereoscopic.

I watched it both in IMAX and regular digital 3D and I found the movie was a bit cropped for 1.78:1 IMAX and felt more natural in 2.35:1 Digital 3D.
But that was just my personal preference.