Avg helllllp

Catchoftheday

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Hello everybody. I had AVG antivirus for free, but it seemed to be broken because every time I tried to update it they said I needed an computer restart and then when i did it it didn't work.

So I thought I would try to fix it by downloading it again so I have been trying to do this but it isn't working I have been trying for ages and it isn't working.

It now says on the build thing that it needs an installation package to fix or install some files, I don't think I've got opne of those on my computer :confused: I think it say it needs to have a .dat suffix I don't know what that is.

I think I'm going to go out and sit in the rain and cry now:rolleyes:

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Remove your current version with Revo uninstaller(freeware). This will remove it completely. Then download a fresh version of avg anti-virus. Install.

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Thanks, but I've already uninstalled it with the windows thing, and although I've just downloaded that Revo it clearly can't uninstall again

But sometimes with windows uninstall elements of a program are left behind which can then interfere with future installments of the same program.

Install avg again. If its still having problems, uninstall it with Revo. Then reinstall.

nay-nay

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i had problems with AVG. i think the new version SUCKS! :rolleyes: i just went ahead and got a different anti-virus.

i tried putting in the installation disc (THAT I PAID EXTRA FOR) and it turns out, it didn't even work. the installation program wasn't even on there. i was so pissed! what a waste of money! and the same thing happened to my dad. he paid extra for his installation disc and his didn't work either (we got ours at different times). :rolleyes:

80deezel

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I tried to d/l to a friends pc but it always has a install failure.It must be missing some files.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I use AVG, AVAST, SUPER Anti-Spyware, Spybot Search & Destroy and Adaware SE.

Download Avast or SUPERAnti-Spyware.... it's more computer illiterate friendly.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
But sometimes with windows uninstall elements of a program are left behind which can then interfere with future installments of the same program.

Install avg again. If its still having problems, uninstall it with Revo. Then reinstall.

Agree with this. Revo uninstaller does the trick much better than the clunky Windoze uninstaller.

Catchoftheday

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
OK thanks for your help, I thought maybe I would have Avast on my computer instead of AVG so I downloaded it from the web and that was good untill I went on to the internet again and my computer crashed, I did this 3 times after which I decided to take the Avast thing off my computer and now the internet thing works but I don't have any virus software.

StaffnRod

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hmm - AVG update install- that's playing hell with you.
I had AVG 8.5 & took the free update path Req'd before Dec1
-don't know if that means anything- but it Inst. & runs great.
I do know at installation DL screen:
I did not accept any Toolbar options at checkbox and
2-3 times had to check for the standalone Free Version only.
It seemed to look for/remove the prior version then run
the new install program .. some 185mb file.
My suggestion is go to their Free Help- on Left side :
AVG Free - Support Center
The FAQ or Free forum should give all pointers for Installing New
- don't know if Revo uninstall is good idea or not- check ^ ^
One last thought- disable any other AntiV or Spyw. First
Hope it helps
Staff