Awakening to Your Life's Purpose

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Book Description
Building on the astonishing success of The Power of Now, Eckhart Tolle presents readers with an honest look at the current state of humanity: He implores us to see and accept that this state, which is based on an erroneous identification with the egoic mind, is one of dangerous insanity.

Tolle tells us there is good news, however. There is an alternative to this potentially dire situation. Humanity now, perhaps more than in any previous time, has an opportunity to create a new, saner, more loving world. This will involve a radical inner leap from the current egoic consciousness to an entirely new one.

In illuminating the nature of this shift in consciousness, Tolle describes in detail how our current ego-based state of consciousness operates. Then gently, and in very practical terms, he leads us into this new consciousness. We will come to experience who we truly are—which is something infinitely greater than anything we currently think we are—and learn to live and breathe freely.

About the Author
Eckhart Tolle is a contemporary spiritual teacher who is not aligned with any particular religion or tradition. In his writing and seminars, he conveys a simple yet profound message with the timeless and uncomplicated clarity of the ancient spiritual masters: There is a way out of suffering and into peace. Tolle travels extensively, taking his teachings throughout the world.

I'm a fan of Oprah. I know many of you aren't and that's okay.

My mother suggested I sign up for her latest book club. Normally I would have just said, "no." However, I had seen the show where she introduced the book and the free online class. It looked interesting and I was game to try something new. I should mention that I normally hate the books she picks for her book club; mainly because they are dull and often over 800 pages long. Who has time to read a book that thick? I didn't read War & Peace in high school why on earth would I read it now? :tongue:

I thought this would be one of those feel good, new agey books that is supposed to change the way you see the world and perhaps even your career path. Since I am currently between jobs I figured it couldn't hurt to have an open mind.

There's a problem, I have read the first 10 pages a dozen times. It makes no sense to me! I swear it may as well be written in Greek. I skipped to the middle and found a passage that made sense but it referred to a concept in an earlier chapter, which of course I hadn't read because I couldn't finish chapter friggin' one!

Has anybody here actually read Awakening to Your Life's Purpose, by Eckhart Tolle? I've read some books dealing with the metaphysical, meditation and creative awareness, yet for some reason, with this book I am drawing a mental block.

I feel kinda stupid. :redface: I hate that, I hate to let something like this get the better of me.

Is anybody else reading this book and doing the online classes? What have you gleaned from this tome? It was only $9 at Wal-Mart so I don't feel like I have thrown away money. I just feel like I may be approaching it from the wrong angle or something. Perhaps I need to shift my paradigm. :biggrin1:

SSBrownBear

Experimental Member
Media
Hey NJQ466 - I'm reading the book and participating in the class (which is actually kind of cool). I'm a bit of a New Ager but Tolle's first couple of chapters are a stretch for me, too. Both he and Oprah state that the first couple of chapters are "conceptual" but that the rest of the book provides a more practical approach to "awakening."

When you listen to Tolle during the class, he comes across (even physically) as a sort of human Yoda so it's no surprise that some might difficult find, the book, it is. :)

Can I suggest that rather than continue to struggle with the book you download the podcast for the first class and give it a listen? There's lots of good stuff there - people asking questions, etc. I also found that periodically something someone would say would jump out at me - like the concept that we are not our thoughts.

I'd be interested to know if you decide to give it a listen and see if that breaks open the book a little more for you.

So, Rugbypup - there's something wrong with getting rich?

SSBB

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I don't know who Eckhart Tolle is. But Leo Tolstoy is definitely worth the effort.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
I read spiritual material and often you find one who is dense, indirect and pontificating.

Suggestion of things i read might be a tad confusing too. As they're all over the realm.

I really liked ORDINARY PEOPLE AS MONKS AND MYSTICS. WHEN THE IMPOSSIBLE HAPPENS by Stanislav Grof.

Not everyone awakens well to purpose. Some move into it gradually. THE STORMY SEACH FOR THE SELF and SPIRITUAL EMERGENCY are in other directions.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I read spiritual material and often you find one who is dense, indirect and pontificating.

Suggestion of things i read might be a tad confusing too. As they're all over the realm.

I really liked ORDINARY PEOPLE AS MONKS AND MYSTICS. WHEN THE IMPOSSIBLE HAPPENS by Stanislav Grof.

Not everyone awakens well to purpose. Some move into it gradually. THE STORMY SEACH FOR THE SELF and SPIRITUAL EMERGENCY are in other directions.

Thank you, that was clear as mud. :tongue:

B_Demention

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh man, my dad is constantly going on about Eckhart Tolle. He's completely obsessed with the power of now and every time I try to talk to him about a legitimate problem in my life it's all "accept the things you can't change and only think in the now - nothing's ever as bad when you only deal with the situation as it is right this moment." Of course there's something to be said for that, I just find it absolutely maddening at times, especially the way it's become his default answer to everything.

I've not even that I don't like new ageism, it's just that he was always the prototype of a corporate businessman and since he gave it up it's been all this kind of thing and it's just too much of a 180 for me. I hope he's not losing his marbles but I hear enough years in the business world will do that to you regardless.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ah, don't sweat it, QT. My policy is this: If the first couple of pages don't grab me, put it down.

I think your mom is giving you a MESSAGE by recommending the book.... not necessarily telling you that the book itself is worthwhile. :rolleyes:

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Don't worry Njqt. Eckhart Tolle repeats the same "truth" over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

I found the book to be good for propping up a leg on an uneven table. That's about the best use for the book IMHO.

It's nothing you haven't read anywhere else and it's terribly uncomplicated to the point of being vapid, kind of like that dumb movie, "The Secret."

I've always kind of liked the saying, "If you meet a guru on the road, shoot him." Any self-proclaimed guru or self-proclaimed "enlightened" person drives me nuts because usually they are fakes who are all about making zillions of dollars on books, pamphlets, tapes, CDs, DVDs, seminars, trinkets, and other pieces of merchandise carrying their "wisdom."

I've seen this guy speak too, and I have to tell you I was even less impressed with him when I heard him speak.

However, finish the book, at least, and form your own opinion. Reading is never wasted even if the book is bad. Reading the book made me realize that I didn't find anything new or surprising about the "revelations" of Eckhart Tolle, so I feel that I'm not missing out on anything.

Here is a basic synopsis of his "truth:"

Live for the present. The past is gone. The future doesn't exist.

Isn't that simple enough? It doesn't take 100+ pages to explain that.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Stanislav Grof is a genius. I like his work. It has helped me to work through many of life's challenges and to view human development through a slightly different lens.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
As for Eckhart Tolle. Poking into the reviews on Amazon.com show the vast schizm he creates: people hate him or love him. His message is boiled down for all herein, and it is copped from Ram Dass. He went to India, found a guru who would not allow him to speak of the past. This little truth is what Tolle is letting you pay for time and money.

"Be here now."

If you fixate on the past you bring it constantly to the present where it has no function.

"Be here now."

You have no yesterdays.

"Be here now."

There is no guard for you to raise.

"Be here now."

Are we here now yet?

alex8.5

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't need a book or Oprah to tell me what kind of man I am or how I should live my life. My motto " Treat others as I wish to be treated, with respect and dignity. We are one".

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ha, the same women I see with this book were all about "the secret" last year and whatever else the year before. It seems these books are not quite fulfilling their promise? How could they, doesn't desire and a feeling of purpose spring from inspiration?

If the book is not engaging, the author lacking that initial inspiring jolt, why not put it down and find another method?

I use lucid meditation for inspiration, followed by writing down the experience, and then make decisions accordingly to fulfill the desire or need for change... I may not always succeed but it's better than sitting on my ass waiting. Though this may be my California showing, lol.

If I may recommend? The only new agey/self-help products I ever *loved* were what the bleep... and I heart huckabees, a friend suggested them and while total pseduo science, they inspired me to examine my routine.

oldbrownshoe52

Sexy Member
Media
Besides living in the eternal present Eckhart trys to have you disidentify with your mind and the thoughts you experience. Its about raising awareness and sensing your own presence; so to speak. It can make you feel good. :smile: