B & B and gays

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Sergeant_Torpedo, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Sergeant_Torpedo

Gold Member

Leading British Tory, Chris Grayling asserts in private that proprietors of B & B establishments should have the right to turn away gays, while in public he supports gay rights. Is he just another over indulged Tory twat spouting their prejudices privately or is he a political pragmatist.

2. Drifterwood

Gold Member

This is the case of the christian couple who decided that their religious views outweighed State law? I think their defence was that they were running a guest house, not a hotel etc, and as such it was their home and they wanted the right to restrict who they had in their home. Easy, don't run a guest house if you don't like the law.

Just glad to say that I am blissfully ignorant of Mr. Grayling.

3. Sergeant_Torpedo

Gold Member

A grayling is a skinny, awful tastting fish found in British waters. Bit like Tories really. I once stayed in a B and B in Dorset and proprietors werer nudists, they didn't tell me so it came as a shock. Glad I didn't have the full English breakfast.

4. Yorkie

Gold Member

Albums:
  5. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

Im in two minds. I can see his point, and i think its more a fear of gays having sex or something, but then i dont want straight people doing it in my home unless im involved.

If its just having gays in their home, how sad.

Personally, i think im against it. Sexuality doesnt even need to be discussed in this context anymore.

6. Scot22

Scot22 New Member

How precisely,are Christian B&B owners planning to implement Mr Grayling's/Conservative opinions?

A questionnaire when requesting overnight accommodation perhaps?
    A 'No Gays Allowed' edict hanging in the window?
    Swear an oath of celibacy on the Holy Bible?

I do a lot of hillwalking at weekends with a close gay friend,and always ask for a twin bedded room at B/B's in the Scottish Highlands, for good financial reasons(students).Can't afford 2 separate rooms.

In future,will we have to "come-out" when the owner opens the door,in spite of looking absolutely 'normal' in our outdoor all-weather kit,backpacks,plus heavy- weight hiking boots?

The above,are all perfectly legitimate questions regarding implementation.

cc.Conservative Central Office.London.
    Mr Grayling's constinuency office.

7. exwhyzee

Gold Member

Um, its so easy to tell who the gays are. YouTube - Only Gay in the Village

8. Scot22

Scot22 New Member

Thanks.I love it.:biggrin1:
    After a day of walking on the moors we are somewhat tired,and certainly look bedraggled,unkempt and wet.

The coiffure is the last thing on my mind.:smile::smile:.

A good stiff whisky,and so to bed.

9. Sergeant_Torpedo

Gold Member

Of course we shouldn't label Christians as ogres, they are after all implored to turn the other cheek by scripture. On the other hand a Jewish or Islamicist proprietor of a B & B isn't going to be more tolerant so I don't see it as a Christian issue. Rather it is an issue about shallow, greedy, manipulative Tories.

10. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    I used to have a B&B in Bucks County PA and if the gay couple was really hot they could get a discount!

I can't remember where I read this, but if you only rent out one room in your house you are not subject to a great many regulations. (It's almost like having a roommate -- just a different one every weekend. And people can certainly pick their own roommates.) If you rent out two or more rooms, then you are considered a business and have to follow the laws. I don't know about the UK but in the US it's still legal to discriminate against gays in many places. Doesn't make it right.

Draft saved Draft deleted