Media
Verification
View

chamisaguy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Hey, I thought Perry et al. were all about small and non-intrusive government (well, except for anti-abortion laws, anti-equality in marriage laws/constitutions, anti-gay laws, and mandatory HPV vaccinations) and Perry in particular argues that "abstinence" works.......

(snark)

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Here's a great article in the New Yorker blog on the subject:

This is a particularly irresponsible way to speak, in part because it raises the memory of the deadly fiasco caused by the British physician Andrew Wakefield when he asserted that vaccines caused autism. That assertion has been withdrawn, Wakefield has been disgraced, and, after scores of studies, no correlation between vaccinations and autism has ever been found. But vaccine rates plummeted and diseases like measles and whooping cough, once nearly vanquished, came roaring back. The fear Wakefield caused has killed many children.

[...]

Religious conservatives have sought for some time to create a special category of illnesses: those related to sexual activity. This is absurd; viruses don’t care whom they infect. (If we had an effective AIDS vaccine, would people try to prevent young men and women from receiving it on the grounds that it would encourage them to have sex? Stay tuned.) The C.D.C. has monitored the release of the HPV vaccine carefully and found no reason to alter its initial recommendations.

It is a strange day when Rick Perry, whose outrageous claim that climate change is a hoax created by scientists should disqualify him from holding any office, appears to be the great defender of scientific literacy. But these are strange days indeed.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Here's a great article in the New Yorker blog on the subject:

This is a particularly irresponsible way to speak, in part because it raises the memory of the deadly fiasco caused by the British physician Andrew Wakefield when he asserted that vaccines caused autism. That assertion has been withdrawn, Wakefield has been disgraced, and, after scores of studies, no correlation between vaccinations and autism has ever been found. But vaccine rates plummeted and diseases like measles and whooping cough, once nearly vanquished, came roaring back. The fear Wakefield caused has killed many children.

[...]

Religious conservatives have sought for some time to create a special category of illnesses: those related to sexual activity. This is absurd; viruses don’t care whom they infect. (If we had an effective AIDS vaccine, would people try to prevent young men and women from receiving it on the grounds that it would encourage them to have sex? Stay tuned.) The C.D.C. has monitored the release of the HPV vaccine carefully and found no reason to alter its initial recommendations.

It is a strange day when Rick Perry, whose outrageous claim that climate change is a hoax created by scientists should disqualify him from holding any office, appears to be the great defender of scientific literacy. But these are strange days indeed.

Stranger still is the high probability that the more rational, logical, and scientifically literate the GOP candidate is, the more likely he or she is to fall into great disfavor within the party.

Well, on second thought, maybe not so strange after all... considering. :cool:

Upperdown

Experimental Member
Media
Opinion: HPV shot attack could harm 'innocent' girls - Health - Health care - Breaking Bioethics - msnbc.com

WTF?????

And I recall.... didn't she also say that Hurricane Irene was God's wrath for America's politics??? (or something like that)

Jeez...just when you thought they couldn't get anyone loonier than Palin.

(btw. I just noticed I misspelled her name...whatever....)
She was telling a story about what someone said to her.

What she didn't say is, "I believe the HPV vaccine caused mental retardation." You made that up.

Of course there has been debate for a long time about the danger of vaccinations. I don't believe they are correct, but then again I was vaccinated, so maybe I'm retarded.

phonehome

Superior Member
Media
I will put money on the fact that this supposed "mom" does not exist, not such converstion with no such woman ever happened.

MB has a history of just making sh1t up and then dogedley sticking to it like it is brainwashed into her, she always claims about how "people told me X,Yor Z" she keeps claiming being told by all these un-named therefore un-verifiable "small business owners" that they are not hiring people "because of Obamacare" this thing that for the most part will not take effect for THREE YEARS that is keeping them from now hiring people, people that really need, need right now and would otherwise hire right now.

With Anderson Cooper she repeated over and over that the Presidents trip it India earlier theis year was costing 200 million a day and that the white house had booked all these 5 stars hotel rooms I don't remember the number she claimed but when you looked into it there were not even that many hotel rooms in the f-ing city. Her source for that? "I read it somewhere" Where? Guess what she could not remember.

Upperdown

Experimental Member
Media
I will put money on the fact that this supposed "mom" does not exist, not such converstion with no such woman ever happened.

MB has a history of just making sh1t up and then dogedley sticking to it like it is brainwashed into her, she always claims about how "people told me X,Yor Z" she keeps claiming being told by all these un-named therefore un-verifiable "small business owners" that they are not hiring people "because of Obamacare" this thing that for the most part will not take effect for THREE YEARS that is keeping them from now hiring people, people that really need, need right now and would otherwise hire right now.

With Anderson Cooper she repeated over and over that the Presidents trip it India earlier theis year was costing 200 million a day and that the white house had booked all these 5 stars hotel rooms I don't remember the number she claimed but when you looked into it there were not even that many hotel rooms in the f-ing city. Her source for that? "I read it somewhere" Where? Guess what she could not remember.
So, its a conspiracy now.

Lets see you prove that it was made up.

I've got one for you: Nancy Pelosi: Dumber than Soap - YouTube

Nancy Pelosi the liar, and all the other things you claim to be true about Bachmann, claims that 500 million Americans will lose their jobs if we don't pass the first, now defunk, stimulus. How many Americans are there? She repeated the claim a few days later.

So lets see, that makes her by your words:

1 Brainwashed
2 Known for 'making sh1t up'

On a side note, I personally know people who are not hiring today because of Obamacare. They realize that if they grow from say 45 to 52 then they have to fire three people. So, they are setting up their organization to run on 49 or fewer people. In one instace, the owner had around 112 employees before the economy turned. They got down to 56 and need to keep dwindling. He thought his number was 52. The problem is that Obamacare is so oppressive and expensive that his company would be (with a 6% margin) unprofitable and eventually have to close. So he's forced to fire 7 people in two years time. If he grows he just grows himself into a lot of misery and guilt. Stop your president, he's taking us all down the drain.

Last edited:

dude_007

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Vaccines are better than no vaccines. It's really that simple.
They aren't perfect, and a very small percentage of people have bad reactions, but the benefits outweigh the problems several thousandfold.

This quote will be the kind of rhetoric the religious right wing will use to create confusion and outrage to get votes from ignorant people who think sex education, condoms, or the HPV vaccine is telling kids its OK to have sex.....as though young people have no minds of their own or aren't going to have sex if they aren't taught these things or get a shot.

And for every outcry about how awful Obamacare is, it is a start and better than doing nothing, and certainly better than turning healthcare over completely to the private sector.

Last edited:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
She was telling a story about what someone said to her.

What she didn't say is, "I believe the HPV vaccine caused mental retardation." You made that up.

Of course there has been debate for a long time about the danger of vaccinations. I don't believe they are correct, but then again I was vaccinated, so maybe I'm retarded.

I made it up!? LOL. That's rich.

Well, since we're splitting hairs, I never said Bachmann said she believed the vaccine caused mental retardation. She DID utter those words, as quoted, attributing them to some (alleged) mother who told her this, and did so clearly for the purpose of raising unnecessary concern by putting out categorically false information about the vaccine.

Nor did she contradict or disavow this (alleged) mother's statement.

But while we're debating the nuances of exactly who said what, perhaps you'll pause for a minute or so and consider the consequences of such disinformation - should large numbers of young teens forgo a treatment that has the potential to save their very lives... just for the sake of some ASININE, MORONIC political point of view; one that (according to all current study and research) has absolutely NO basis in truth.

Last edited:

B_enzia35

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think the "mom" is dumb. Then Bachman is dumb for retelling the story. What's next? Saying there's 57 states?

Upperdown

Experimental Member
Media
I made it up!? LOL. That's rich.

Well, since we're splitting hairs, I never said Bachmann said she believed the vaccine caused mental retardation. She DID utter those words, as quoted, attributing them to some (alleged) mother who told her this, and did so clearly for the purpose of raising unnecessary concern by putting out categorically false information about the vaccine.

Nor did she contradict or disavow this (alleged) mother's statement.

But while we're debating the nuances of exactly who said what, perhaps you'll pause for a minute or so and consider the consequences of such disinformation - should large numbers of young teens forgo a treatment that has the potential to save their very lives... just for the sake of some ASININE, MORONIC political point of view; one that (according to all current study and research) has absolutely NO basis in truth.

You're just foaming over with hate. Maybe seek anger counseling. This really isn't healthy to be this hatefilled.

She didn't do it to work people up about the vaccine. She isn't that smart. She did it to prove the point that some people were negatively affected by use of force in a medical procedure. Did that mom have to submit to this? No. Does she, for sure, exist? We have no way of proving that.

The anti-vaccine movement has been going stong for some time. Don't you remember Jenny McCarthy crusading against vaccines that cause Autism? To act like Bachmann is now solely responsible for cevical cancer is absured. Should people get this vaccine? YES! Should they be forced to do it? NO. And that was her point.

She has every right to relate stories. You have no right to say what statements should or should not be in the realm of public debate. You're only argument is that a Republican said something, therefore it must be shouted down, no matter what.

Upperdown

Experimental Member
Media
Over the last few years I have enjoyed watching the hate poor out of the left on women of the right. They are all 'stupid' 'incompetent' 'ditzy' 'dumb', not because they actually are these things but because the left needs to marginalize anyone 'minority' that disagrees with them.

Do I personally think she's brilliant? I dont know, all I've seen of her is her political speeches. I didn't think she was very smart when she said she had been to 58 states and had 2 more to go before she saw the entire country. That seemed extremely stupid to me.