Back from Extinction

D

deleted3782

A recent article in the NYT states that regenerating extinct species could soon be a possibility.

Which extinct species would you resurrect? Moderate Republicans excluded. :tongue:

"Scientists are talking for the first time about the old idea of resurrecting extinct species as if this staple of science fiction is a realistic possibility, saying that a living mammoth could perhaps be regenerated for as little as $10 million.

The same technology could be applied to any other extinct species from which one can obtain hair, horn, hooves, fur or feathers, and which went extinct within the last 60,000 years, the effective age limit for DNA."

More here

D

deleted3782

I've always been intruiged by the Carolina Parakeet. Its amazing to me that flocks of parrots once lived in eastern North America.

camper joe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It will be interesting to see if it will be an institution or a private individual(s) that will come up with the funding to attempt this. Either way I agree with Rec. it will be cool to see.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hobbits, I just love Hobbits. Why not we certainly have enough trolls in the world.

SyddyKitty

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Any extinct plant. I think we could do so much with natural medicine. o_o Or does it have to be just animals?

Marsupial Lions :3 So cute!
NOVA | Bone Diggers | Australia's Vanished Beasts image 1 | PBS Domesticate them, of course.... :3

Or Leoplurodons...however you spell that. So we can finally have a real Nessie. xD

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
"Scientists are talking for the first time about the old idea of resurrecting extinct species as if this staple of science fiction is a realistic possibility, saying that a living mammoth could perhaps be regenerated for as little as $10 million.

The same technology could be applied to any other extinct species from which one can obtain hair, horn, hooves, fur or feathers, and which went extinct within the last 60,000 years, the effective age limit for DNA."

Oh Christ.... they're gonna resurrect Reagan.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hobbits, I just love Hobbits. Why not we certainly have enough trolls in the world.
That is so true. :tongue:

Well mannered educated humans!
I fear the ship may have sailed on that one. :frown1:

I saw this on the news the other day and was rather annoyed. Why in the name of all that is holy are there research scientists trying to regenerate the Wooly F'g Mammoth?!? :12: What if it works? Are we supposed to start using them as transportation, like on The Flintstones? :confused: That time, money, and brain power should be put towards something useful like a cure for Parkinsons, AIDS, or Breast Cancer. :mad:

AquaEyes11010

Expert Member
Media
New Brunswick (New Jersey, United States)
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I saw this on the news the other day and was rather annoyed. Why in the name of all that is holy are there research scientists trying to regenerate the Wooly F'g Mammoth?!? :12: What if it works? Are we supposed to start using them as transportation, like on The Flintstones? :confused: That time, money, and brain power should be put towards something useful like a cure for Parkinsons, AIDS, or Breast Cancer. :mad:

Well, look at it as using technology to fix what we messed up in centuries past. I'd love to see the Carolina parakeets back, along with the passenger pigeon, the true wild aurochs, moas, and many other species that are extinct because of people. If anyone's interested in a message board about extinct species that has a lot of information, I highly recommend the site below:
The Extinction Website Forum - The forum about extinct animals and plants - Home

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
It's like a fun combo between Power Rangers and Jurassic Park. How very exciting.

As for these comments about "real" men being resurrected, maybe I'm not sure what classifies one as a "real" man, but it could be possible you are all looking in the wrong places, no?

Last edited: