Back in the US and have some questions

B_thickjohnny

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I've lived in Europe for the last 16.5 years. I guess I became Euro acclimated because being back in the US I see things that make sense in Europe and are, in many ways, just weird here. So I'm asking for some feedback and discussion on all of this. I'm sure there might be others who have noticed these idiosyncrasies (either Americans who have lived abroad or Europeans who have emigrated) and have wondered about it.

Why do Americans drive with their fog lights on ALL THE TIME? They're called fog lights for a reason and aiming them up, blinding people driving towards you is not cool. Are there no laws about this - outlawing foglights except in fog?

Why do so many Americans drive in the pouring rain or even late evening (sunset) without headlights? I asked one guy this and he said he can see just fine and saw no reason to put his lights on. The fact that other people can't see him didn't make sense to him and he didn't really care about them.

Why don't Americans use their blinkers? EVER! They drive from lane to lane, go from one lane across two or three and exit without so much as one blink!

Why don't Americans learn how to use their flashers to say "thank you" when they're let in line on a street or highway etc? In Europe a quick flash of the flashers means "thank you".

And lastly, why do Americans stand anywhere they want on an escalator when clearly someone wants to walk past them? Stand to the right; walk on the left. Same as the road rules although Americans obviously don't know that slow traffic should stay to the right and let people pass on the right.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm interested in hearing the feedback. We don't have these problems in Hawaii except when the stupid haoles are passing through. Ditto with NYC except when the the peeps from NJ are driving in town or the tourons are visiting.

ggsitc

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Some states have laws regarding headlights and rain. If you have to put your wipers on, then your headlights better be on, too. Likewise, there is usually a law regarding headlights and sunset/sunrise, usually an hour before/after headlights are required. Enforcement, however, is an entirely different topic.

As for flashing lights to say "thank you," where I am we don't flash lights we physically wave to the other driver for the kindness of letting one in line, etc.

B_thickjohnny

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think that since there's no mandatory driving school requirement, people drive as they learned - meaning, whatever way mom or dad taught them. The other thing someone mentioned is that some people coming from South America trade their license for a US license and that's that. If you can past the simple test, you're in. I'm all for a US driver's license, governed by federal regulations and having mandatory schooling. Europe has it in every country and the drivers in most countries are quite good - especially German drivers.

B_thickjohnny

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Some states have laws regarding headlights and rain. If you have to put your wipers on, then your headlights better be on, too. Likewise, there is usually a law regarding headlights and sunset/sunrise, usually an hour before/after headlights are required. Enforcement, however, is an entirely different topic.

As for flashing lights to say "thank you," where I am we don't flash lights we physically wave to the other driver for the kindness of letting one in line, etc.

I think you're right. In Georgia it's the law - lights on when raining - but more than 50% don't pay attention. I've even seen police cars without lights. I've seen a cop texting while driving! I personally think that ever government owned vehicle should be hard wired for headlights 24/7.

Oh, and while I'm on the subject.... what's with people who think their daytime running lights are ok for night time driving? Little do they realize that they have no tail lights and the daytime running lights don't project enough light at night.

ggsitc

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I've seen a cop texting while driving

Yeah, that's been bandied about, but bottom line is the cops are exempt from those laws. :tongue:

Oh, and while I'm on the subject.... what's with people who think their daytime running lights are ok for night time driving? Little do they realize that they have no tail lights and the daytime running lights don't project enough light at night.

Some people are just too stupid to be allowed to own a car and have a license to drive it. :cool:

D

deleted15807

All boils down to America home of the free and Americans want to be free do whatever the fuck they want to do and it's no where more evident than in driving.

S

superbot

I always thought thought 'merican's were quite anal about their driving.When I was last there I was made aware that 30mph speed limits MEANT 30 mph and that one or or two mph over would get you you a ticket! As for the stop signs obligating you to stop even when there is no other traffic around,,,,,WHY?
As for those who chose to put their fog lights on, regardless of the conditions,
thats also something people do in the UK,its sooooo annoying.Something to do with under-sized penises me thinks!!..
While we're at it,I wonder if people who drive Volvo estates have the same reputation over there as they do here?!!

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Why do Americans drive with their fog lights on ALL THE TIME?

Why do so many Americans drive in the pouring rain or even late evening (sunset) without headlights?

Why don't Americans use their blinkers? EVER! They drive from lane to lane, go from one lane across two or three and exit without so much as one blink!

Why don't Americans learn how to use their flashers to say "thank you" when they're let in line on a street or highway etc?

And lastly, why do Americans stand anywhere they want on an escalator when clearly someone wants to walk past them?
Maybe America has adopted Turkish driving standards! :rolleyes:
Or maybe it's the other way around... :tongue:

B_thickjohnny

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I always thought thought 'merican's were quite anal about their driving.When I was last there I was made aware that 30mph speed limits MEANT 30 mph and that one or or two mph over would get you you a ticket! As for the stop signs obligating you to stop even when there is no other traffic around,,,,,WHY?
As for those who chose to put their fog lights on, regardless of the conditions,
thats also something people do in the UK,its sooooo annoying.Something to do with under-sized penises me thinks!!..
While we're at it,I wonder if people who drive Volvo estates have the same reputation over there as they do here?!!

The speed limit thing is a good question. Most policemen give you some grace - like up to 10mph. In Prague, there was no grace. If you went one km over the limit you could get a penalty.

And the stop sign thing is VERY annoying. I came to a T where you could drive either left or right - one way each way. Why was there a stop sign there when it was very obvious that no one would be coming from either direction. Or how about stop signs on round abouts (traffic circles)? No kidding. Are people just so stupid that they don't know how to use a round about?

B_enzia35

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
All boils down to America home of the free and Americans want to be free do whatever the fuck they want to do and it's no where more evident than in driving.

:biggrin1:
This.
Just pay the consequences for your (in general) stupidity.

S

superbot

I've lived in Europe for the last 16.5 years. I guess I became Euro acclimated because being back in the US I see things that make sense in Europe and are, in many ways, just weird here. So I'm asking for some feedback and discussion on all of this. I'm sure there might be others who have noticed these idiosyncrasies (either Americans who have lived abroad or Europeans who have emigrated) and have wondered about it.

Why do Americans drive with their fog lights on ALL THE TIME? They're called fog lights for a reason and aiming them up, blinding people driving towards you is not cool. Are there no laws about this - outlawing foglights except in fog?

Why do so many Americans drive in the pouring rain or even late evening (sunset) without headlights? I asked one guy this and he said he can see just fine and saw no reason to put his lights on. The fact that other people can't see him didn't make sense to him and he didn't really care about them.

Why don't Americans learn how to use their flashers to say "thank you" when they're let in line on a street or highway etc? In Europe a quick flash of the flashers means "thank you".

And lastly, why do Americans stand anywhere they want on an escalator when clearly someone wants to walk past them? Stand to the right; walk on the left. Same as the road rules although Americans obviously don't know that slow traffic should stay to the right and let people pass on the right.
Methinks your're a closeted Brit,these are the kind of things we find annoying about others (Europeans included).
But you have missed mentioning the rules governing the all important art of queuing.....Bonne chance with your reaclimatization!

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Methinks your're a closeted Brit,these are the kind of things we find annoying about others (Europeans included).
But you have missed mentioning the rules governing the all important art of queuing.....Bonne chance with your reaclimatization!
I told him that he should move to Barcalona.

B_thickjohnny

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
and still nothing from Americans explaining why .... why the fog lights on a bright, clear night? Why no headlights when it's pissing rain and/or dark? Why don't you use your blinkers?