Back in the US and have some questions

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I've been talking about the below the bumper fog lights not high beams. If aligned properly they light up the road ONLY directly in front of the vehicle. They are not designed to project light like your high beams. I see way too many fog lights out of alignment and aimed high - blindingly high.

With respect to liking the look, I guess you can have your right to have the look but that's not the purpose of those lights. They're not a fashion lights; they're FOG lights and shouldn't be used for any other reason but for fog.

Insofar as the range of fog lamps, even very good fog lamps, is very short. So short, in fact, that they are functionally useless above about 25 miles per hour; whatever you can see only by the light of the fog lamps, you're going to hit above that speed.

Then you would concede, perhaps, that if the fog lights are properly aligned their being on should not be a problem to other drivers; and if they are on and not properly aligned, they're going to be a problem for other drivers regardless: whether for fog, "fashion" or whatever the fuck.

So perhaps your objection (a generalization, none the less) should be directed toward all of us ignorantly inconsiderate Americans who are driving around with misaligned fog lamps, eh?? (which, btw, mine aren't).

Last edited:

B_thickjohnny

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think I see the trouble: most of you are conflating (subjective) opinions and (objective) facts. They're not the same. Anyone's welcome to whatever opinion he cares to hold, but if it is based on beliefs and guesses and assumptions and preferences, it's not going to be sturdy enough to hold up to assertions of fact based on things like science and law. As has become popular to say in various political circles, you are entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts.

More to the point: In the absence of fog, fog lamps generate excessive glare without providing any benefit -- especially in the daytime. At night, speeds in excess of 25mph (and 25mph is generous), fog lamps generate excessive glare to other drivers, and excessive foreground illumination to the driver without providing any benefit. Therefore, fog lamps do not really "help visibility" (improve your ability to see what you need to see for safe driving). In fact, they actually hinder it, while creating the opposite impression.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Sometimes I like to just hang my kerosene lamp off the front of the truck.:biggrin1:

Here is what really happens TJ. I follow all rules of the road, use all lights correctly, I do not (like I said earlier) use f'ing blinkers to thank people. As you acknowledged that is more likely to cause confusion which would then cause an accident which is what you are trying to avoid.

I prefer a quiet ride, no distractions, no radio, no phone, I don't deal well with talkers in the car or truck either. A person talks, tells a joke. if I laugh or if I don't get the joke it is a distraction. Talk politics, I have to think about more than the road. I want to hear sirens approaching before I see the flashing lights.

B_thickjohnny

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I do not (like I said earlier) use f'ing blinkers to thank people. As you acknowledged that is more likely to cause confusion which would then cause an accident which is what you are trying to avoid.

I guess old habits are hard to break. After living in Europe for 17 years, I've gotten use to it - a reflex now. I'm sure it will go away soon enough.

In terms of getting from point A to B, I'm with you on having a trouble free ride without the distractions.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I think I see the trouble: most of you are conflating (subjective) opinions and (objective) facts. They're not the same. Anyone's welcome to whatever opinion he cares to hold, but if it is based on beliefs and guesses and assumptions and preferences, it's not going to be sturdy enough to hold up to assertions of fact based on things like science and law. As has become popular to say in various political circles, you are entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts.

More to the point: In the absence of fog, fog lamps generate excessive glare without providing any benefit -- especially in the daytime. At night, speeds in excess of 25mph (and 25mph is generous), fog lamps generate excessive glare to other drivers, and excessive foreground illumination to the driver without providing any benefit. Therefore, fog lamps do not really "help visibility" (improve your ability to see what you need to see for safe driving). In fact, they actually hinder it, while creating the opposite impression.

Perhaps they generate excessive glare, but that hasn't been my personal experience.

I haven't noticed any significant difference in "glare" (to me as a driver) with them on or off, in daylight, fog or at night. They do seem to improve my visibility in foggy and overcast conditions, as opposed to high beams which indeed DO produce visibility "white out".

Besides, I drive a sport/compact with a very low profile and chassis to ground clearance. Unlikely my fog lights will ever blind anyone, and if the extra lighting helps those high-riders in boat-like SUV's to notice me, all the better.

As far as glare from others' fog lights, dude, I've been driving for some forty plus years... been blinded by high beams, but don't recall EVER being blinded by someone's fog lights. :cool:

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
For the same reason you chose your avatar.
For the same reason you dress the way you do.
For the same reason you chose the type of vehicle you did.
For the same reason you pierced your dick.

Individuality.
I was going to wait until I read the entire post, but this is a fucking stupid answer

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I've lived in Europe for the last 16.5 years. I guess I became Euro acclimated because being back in the US I see things that make sense in Europe and are, in many ways, just weird here. So I'm asking for some feedback and discussion on all of this. I'm sure there might be others who have noticed these idiosyncrasies (either Americans who have lived abroad or Europeans who have emigrated) and have wondered about it.

Why do Americans drive with their fog lights on ALL THE TIME? They're called fog lights for a reason and aiming them up, blinding people driving towards you is not cool. Are there no laws about this - outlawing foglights except in fog?

Why do so many Americans drive in the pouring rain or even late evening (sunset) without headlights? I asked one guy this and he said he can see just fine and saw no reason to put his lights on. The fact that other people can't see him didn't make sense to him and he didn't really care about them.

Why don't Americans use their blinkers? EVER! They drive from lane to lane, go from one lane across two or three and exit without so much as one blink!

Why don't Americans learn how to use their flashers to say "thank you" when they're let in line on a street or highway etc? In Europe a quick flash of the flashers means "thank you".

And lastly, why do Americans stand anywhere they want on an escalator when clearly someone wants to walk past them? Stand to the right; walk on the left. Same as the road rules although Americans obviously don't know that slow traffic should stay to the right and let people pass on the right.
I have hated fog lights for years. In actuality in my state using them when there isn't fog is illegal, but not enforced. I have to say in the last 10 years there has been a real decrease in fog lights.

In my state there has been a law for over 20 years that says if you use you wipers more than once a minute that your lights have to be on....again up to cops to enforce.

I flash trucks to tell them they can move over and flash a thanks...Atlanta is getting a rep as a really poor place for manners.

Being on the right on escalators....well known in the northern cities

B_thickjohnny

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I don't get blinded by fog lights but there is a glare coming off them that is annoying as hell. There is one vehicle that comes to mind and I think that's the Toyota Tundra (though the Nissan looks similar) that has lights that are not really fog lights (in the bumper) but more like high beams. Those are obnoxiously bright lights and those should be in the off position when the weather is clear.

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I don't get blinded by fog lights but there is a glare coming off them that is annoying as hell. There is one vehicle that comes to mind and I think that's the Toyota Tundra (though the Nissan looks similar) that has lights that are not really fog lights (in the bumper) but more like high beams. Those are obnoxiously bright lights and those should be in the off position when the weather is clear.

So it's the foglights of high profile vehicles and not just foglights in general?

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Maybe a high rider type vehicle with those externally mounted fog lights, or as previously mentioned, those lamps that are out of alignment from being cracked against too many a curb. I don't make a habit of looking into the lights of an oncoming vehicle, so if it's not blindingly bright high beams, I'm generally unaffected.

That is a WHOLE lot less annoying than those jokers who drag-ass along at a mundane clip only because you're behind them and in a hurry, only to speed up like a bat outta hell the moment traffic clears enough to let you get around their sorry asses.

...or maybe those "geniuses" who see you waiting for them to vacate a parking space, so they decide to take their damn good time loading up... (hey, why not read the paper and eat a fuckin' sandwich while you're at it, ace? Don't rush on MY account)...

...or even worse, those lame-brained MORONS who are crawling along the highway at a snail's pace because they're talking on a frekin' cellphone or even texting.

TEXTING???
.... you STOOOpid SON-nu-va..... :cool: