Backup Software? Differential

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_ScaredLittleBoy, Jan 25, 2008.

1. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

I am looking for some backup software. Ideally that could do differential straight away.

I have 'acquired' something called Genie Backup Manager which apparently is (one of?) the best. The thing is there is no option to do a differential [straight away]. I was hoping it would give me the option of setting something like this:

Differential > From [Date] > To [Date] > [Choose Folder] > Backup

HOWEVER, looking at this and other software it appears that it MUST do a full backup first and it saves the information in a 'catalog' file which it then uses to reference dates etc.

Well there are two systems I need to backup. Doing a full backup on both of them is tedious when there are only a few files that have changed in the past week.

I hope this is clear. Does anyone know a customisable backup software where I could set that I want it to backup modified files between a certain period? If I did a full backup of both systems it would take four hours total. A differential backup would take 15 mins to half an hour max...

Thanks in advance.

2. freeballing

freeballing Active Member

Albums:
    Hey dude,

Unfortunately, a true differential backup needs a full backup to compare itself to. It looks for modified files compared to the previous backup - and backs up only those files. I use Acronis True Image Workstation ver. 9.1. Or, you could try the FREE: DriveImage XML: Data Recovery Software - File System Utilities (but it doesn't do diff or incremental images). Need a paid program like Acronis for the custom backups... Good luck!

3. JoeMN

JoeMN New Member

Though not exactly what you were asking for, consider the Mac Time capsual, or MS Home server. These may cost more than you want to spend.
    -Mac is a back up device that will do what you want. 500 GB $299 and 1TB for 499.00
    -MS Home server will cost more. This is because the ways that I have seen it marketed is as a separate computer. I think that you can just buy the software and install it on an old computer if this is of interest to you.

4. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

Thanks guys. I thought I found one and did give it dates to look for but it ended up doing a full backup.

I'll use the Genie software, it is supposed to be 'paid' but I got it for free.

Thanks anyway!

Draft saved Draft deleted