Backup Software? Differential

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am looking for some backup software. Ideally that could do differential straight away.

I have 'acquired' something called Genie Backup Manager which apparently is (one of?) the best. The thing is there is no option to do a differential [straight away]. I was hoping it would give me the option of setting something like this:

Differential > From [Date] > To [Date] > [Choose Folder] > Backup

HOWEVER, looking at this and other software it appears that it MUST do a full backup first and it saves the information in a 'catalog' file which it then uses to reference dates etc.

Well there are two systems I need to backup. Doing a full backup on both of them is tedious when there are only a few files that have changed in the past week.

I hope this is clear. Does anyone know a customisable backup software where I could set that I want it to backup modified files between a certain period? If I did a full backup of both systems it would take four hours total. A differential backup would take 15 mins to half an hour max...

Thanks in advance.

freeballing

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Hey dude,

Unfortunately, a true differential backup needs a full backup to compare itself to. It looks for modified files compared to the previous backup - and backs up only those files. I use Acronis True Image Workstation ver. 9.1. Or, you could try the FREE: DriveImage XML: Data Recovery Software - File System Utilities (but it doesn't do diff or incremental images). Need a paid program like Acronis for the custom backups... Good luck!

JoeMN

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Though not exactly what you were asking for, consider the Mac Time capsual, or MS Home server. These may cost more than you want to spend.
-Mac is a back up device that will do what you want. 500 GB $299 and 1TB for 499.00
-MS Home server will cost more. This is because the ways that I have seen it marketed is as a separate computer. I think that you can just buy the software and install it on an old computer if this is of interest to you.

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks guys. I thought I found one and did give it dates to look for but it ended up doing a full backup.

I'll use the Genie software, it is supposed to be 'paid' but I got it for free.

Thanks anyway!