(bad) advice from magazines and books.

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by D_Harry_Pitz, Oct 5, 2011.

1. D_Harry_Pitz

D_Harry_Pitz New Member

The other day my eye fell on a book called 'Goedele Liekens, Her Sex Bible'. Goedele Liekens is a famous Belgian sexologist. She never studied sexology, but it's not a protected trade, so she can call herself a sexologist. In Belgium she is regarded as an authority on this matter. I skimmed through the book and noticed how a lot of the things she says are bogus and even harmfull for a modern relationship.

I told this to a student of sexology, and she said this woman is always regarded as a dumb bimbo among real sexologists. She also told me that the tips on 'how to please please your man' or 'how to get a man' in women's magazines could easily be placed under the same denominator as astrology. She also said that, and this should not surprise you, almost all of those articles are written by women.

I myself often get this wtf feeling when I read the hints in those 'how to please your man' things. Sometimes there are even things that are, in my opinion, harmfull for a relationship were both man and woman are totally satisfied.

So I thought, maybe a man should write advice on 'how to please your man'. I haven't done any research yet, and I'm not sure if I will go through with it, but I've got the intention. I would like to get a nice discussion going here about the most used tips in those articles. For the women: which advice do you use, what's the effect, do you disregard the advice more often with getting older and more experienced? For the men: what is your advice, and what are the most ridiculous things you've hear/read?

2. Kotchanski

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Since this thread is in no way a woman's issue, and you even direct a specific question to men in it, I've moved it to where it should belong.

As for the topic, I don't make a habit of reading tripe, if my man wants something, he tells me, and I'll either give it to him, or not, depending on what it is.

In short, I think advice such as the examples you gave are complete bollocks from people who either think they can make a quick buck by spouting any old rubbish, or people with the sole agenda of forcing others to conform to their own ideals.

3. dolfette

Gold Member

advice followed by the sort of fools who take astrology columns in trashy mags as gospel...

most of it is garbage.
    i don't follow that shite.

hell, i don't even buy the mags in the first place.

4. AlwaysAnAdventure

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    As said above, surely open communication is a better way to make each other, and yourself, happy?

If I was steering my life based on the advice of a 99p cat litter tray liner, I'd take a long hard look at myself.

Draft saved Draft deleted