Bad Body Image May Be Biological

Very interesting video on CNN about research on body image distortion. It seems that most people view faces and bodies using the right side of their brain, but some people actually use the left side of their brain to examine bodies and faces. The left side of the brain is geared to critical, logical, and detail. The right side is geared to looking far more, "holistically."

CNN: Bad Body Image Linked to Which Side of the Brain People Use.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The mirror that lied. The only time you really see what you look like is in the mirror usually face on. That is the basis of what people think they look like and forms their opinion of how good looking they are. It isn't suprising that high end clothes retailers spend mucho bucks desiging the dressing room lighting and finishes to compliment one's appearance in this reflection. Many times they place in slimming mirrors or very tall slender ones that slant to give that optical illusion of being thinner. Unethical? Unscrupulous? No one can do retail like Americans.

I have two "left brains". maybe that explains why my self image is screwed...

Viking, it is commonly known that 2 left brains make a right one. So you really are just missing the left one. :tongue:

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Fancy I was just studying body image issues in my textbook for a test on thursday morning. Yes they believe they are biological among other factors.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can believe these studies, but I wonder why eating disorders don't show up equally around the world, as you would suspect if the problem is biological? Affluent countries, especially the USA have a very high proportion of people with eating disorders than developing nations.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I can believe these studies, but I wonder why eating disorders don't show up equally around the world, as you would suspect if the problem is biological? Affluent countries, especially the USA have a very high proportion of people with eating disorders than developing nations.
They think it's a combination of biological and environmental factors.

Redbabe01

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have always kinda thought I have mild BDD. I am very obbessive about everything. It almost ferges on self hatred. People tell me I am beautiful, skinny, hot, smart ect.ect, but I never believe them. Its always...my nose is to big, my boobs are to small, my body isn't in porportion ect ect. Not sure how to not do it, but I guess the fact that I am aware that its not normal is a start. People tell me all the time, "you are such a pretty girl, why do you have such low self esteem?" No one knows how deep it goes and I feel super alone. Sorry guys...it feels good to vent. Gotta love the net!!! :)

D_Geffarde Phartsmeller

Experimental Member
Media
Very interesting study. Thanks for sharing it with us, Jason. I've picked myself apart in the mirror thousands of times to the point of disgust but I imagine I'm not the only one. Still, I'm not so foolish as to believe I have such a disorder. I know damn well I'm attractive and have enough positive reinforcement from friends and strangers alike to confirm that belief. I think people may confuse having the disorder with wanting to better themselves and that's dangerous. There's nothing wrong with desiring self-improvement. It's how we become stronger, smarter, more sensitive, healthier, etc. Having an objective view of oneself is the only way to acknowledge weaknesses and improve upon them.

That's not to say I don't believe in the disorder. Make no mistake, I'm sure it's real. I just think some people may jump the gun on self-diagnosing. WebMD is the devil as far as I'm concerned

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have always kinda thought I have mild BDD. I am very obbessive about everything. It almost ferges on self hatred. People tell me I am beautiful, skinny, hot, smart ect.ect, but I never believe them. Its always...my nose is to big, my boobs are to small, my body isn't in porportion ect ect. Not sure how to not do it, but I guess the fact that I am aware that its not normal is a start. People tell me all the time, "you are such a pretty girl, why do you have such low self esteem?" No one knows how deep it goes and I feel super alone. Sorry guys...it feels good to vent. Gotta love the net!!! :)
Red,
I believe you sincerely. I have a dear friend who suffers from bulimia and anorexia off and on. She is beautiful, intelligent and has a magnetic personality. Whereas, she thinks she is ugly, stupid, and unloveable. Talking with her over the years, I have come to know how powerful and real these feelings are.

In fact, it is such a powerful thing, that over the time I have known her, she has gone from denial to complete acknowledgement of her distorted body image, but still has trouble fighting the feelings. It is cruel and unfair to have to feel so bad about oneself.

So please vent away. This is a very real thing that can make you miserable when you really should be feeling good. It's not your fault, though, its a real live affliction.

I think it's because the fatal flaw is in disregarding cultural cognizance. Not everyone sees everything the same way, right or left brained-dominance, subjective or objective bias or not. People from non-westernized cultures do perceive perspective in two-dimensional graphic arts even when it is obviously present to westerners. Inculturation determines not only what we think but how we think and I daresay that it is an important determinant in what is considered objective and subjective even in clinical environments.

I know damn well I'm attractive and have enough positive reinforcement from friends and strangers alike to confirm that belief.

It's your humility that most people find attractive. :tongue: