bad move

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_big dirigible, Feb 16, 2007.

1. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

There go the mods, closing a thread again. Almost always a bad move.

You want to ban someone for abuses real or imaginary, that's one thing.

You want to lock out everybody, that's something different. All it does is justify one of the major reservations some have about the moderators in general. You might have gotten a clue from that last noisy thread that some members are sensitive to abusive behavior by the moderators, and properly so. It's just maladroit to flaunt your collective tin ear on the same thread.

Some of the moderators are hypersensitive to any whiff of criticism. Others, I believe, are merely obtuse. But surely one or two have some clue as to what I'm talking about.

2. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

The chat issue needs to be addressed, regardless of how heated that thread became (I did not read any flames).

When I was a Mod (and I loved in the chat), you could grant someone a Yellow icon (IIRC) that would allow them to kick, ban, or gag chat users who became abusive. I did it once with Steve26 just to see. He got a message that said "Moderator privileges granted" just as any board Mod receives when they log into the chat.

I wish I could explain it better, but my visual memory has always sucked.

The link mindseye sent was not exactly what I was referring to (and I understand how that system would be extremely counterproductive).

3. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's their board. They can do anything they want.

They can edit your posts, ban members and lock threads. I wouldn't call it a "bad move" at all.

4. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I did not mean to sound like I was second-guessing you.

We tried the temp mod thing and it seems that some features that were present when we first got java chat are no longer there.

"temp mod"
    "guest speaker"

are two that I can recall.

5. Principessa

Gold Member

I just woke up so it's clear I have missed quite a bit here.

I'm assuming that the thread which was closed is the one which I started. :redface: requesting "better mods in chat...now."

As one of the people involved in the St. Valentine's Day Massacre in Chat; I hate to admit it but perhaps OrbitzXT should have silenced me briefly, as well as my attacker in order to have time to sort things out. When a person has been given a 15 minute ban can the mods still converse with them? Should they? I honestly don't know...

Even with all that has happend I would hate to see CHAT close permanently. IMHO, 98% of the time it's a fun, non-threatening place to be. I've learned a lot of interesting things on a variety of topics from cooking to music.

njqt466

6. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
    You should have just got outta the chat. Don't listen to what people say. Know that you like yourself and that's all that matters.

You should have just ignored it.

7. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

I wasn't talking about bannings, as I thought was clear. There are obviously going to be multiple factors in any individual case, some of long standing, and some involving PMs and such things which I wouldn't know about and which possibly shouldn't be publicized. I'll go along with that - and always have.

And I have no first-hand knowledge of LPSG Chat, so it would be inappropriate for me to offer advice or demand a reform movement.

I'm talking about thread locking. I remember one thread on a board (not this board), which perhaps should have been locked. A discussion of a harmless topic - maybe it was something about where to get studs with 1/4-24 threads - was basically hijacked by two guys who were going at it hammer-and-tongs about the merits or lack thereof of Harley-Davidsons. Nobody else on the thread gave a hoot about HDs, and managed to talk around the both of them. But there was no indication that they would ever stop. Eventually it did die down, and so far as I know no moderation was involved. The moderator(s) on that board are extremely low profile, and the only reason I believe there are any is because spam is removed.

But that's about it for threads I remember which just screamed to be locked. I don't remember any here. Of course I only read a minority of threads, so might have missed some goodies. And I'm not talking about really inflammatory or vile posts, which are simply amputated, and good riddance.

So. Perhaps someone can briefly explain the rationale behind the locking of that thread. The major noisebot had been banned, for reasons which I'm not questioning. Given that, the lock would seem to be superfluous, hence heavy-handed.

Draft saved Draft deleted