Bad news yall, Sean Bell's killers are going scott-free

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by marleyisalegend, Apr 25, 2008.

1. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. Krusader

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wonder what the sentence would be if the victim was a white

3. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's happened before, and it will happen again. NYC cops are stressed out, underpaid and over protected.

The family plans to have the officers retried on violations of civil rights. Hope this avenue works as it has in the past.

4. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    they probably would've hung them on the spot

5. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have a major problem with only one aspect of this trial...the "right" of the defendants to opt for a bench trial in lieu of a jury trial.

The reason given by these detectives' attorneys was that pretrial publicity tainted public perception. Well, no shit, assholes...that's why you have changes of venue.

I don't believe our founders intended for life and death decisions to be left in the hands of one person...particularly when that one person holds a protected position in league with law enforcement, and is essentially being asked to judge one of its own.

This case should have been tried in a federal court outside the NY jurisdiction before a jury of twelve.

Sean Bell, and those who survived him, just got handed a big middle finger. Utterly disgraceful.

6. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    couldn't have said it better myself but this is exactly why i'm never moving to new york. police brutality happens everyday everywhere but it seems in ny that they shouldn't even waste time with trials because the officers always get away with it

7. Northland

Gold Member

Facts being what they are-and since you neglected them Morley-it is prudent to also mention that this is not over yet. The Feds still have their say, and there are the Civil trials which will most likely be taking place. In those, there is need only of a 51% belief of guilt. The judge indicated that the officers acted irresponsibly, however, he decided that this was not reckless-semantics to some, legal jargon to others.

Additionally, let us keep in mind that Guzman (a shooting victim) changed his testimony several times. Keep in mind, one of the officers on trial was black (Marc Cooper)-so the racial crap angle really needs to stop. Police using people as target practice? Possible. Proof positive that thinking clearly when drunk (Bell and his buddies all were intoxicated after their night of partying for his bachelor party, and according to reports some of the officers had also had a few drinks)? Yes.

We will never know how the officers felt that night as far as their safety. Did any of the victims actually say they were going to get their gun? We weren't there and Guzman has credibility problems-in this trial alone. Now, we know that Trent Benefield one of the victims of that night, said, in trial, under oath, that Bell drove towards the officers and hit a few cars (as well as one of the officers). Were the officers overly aggresive in the number of shots fired? Possibly. We would need to know the average number of shots fired in other incidents. Added to this is the fact that none of these officers have a past history of this nature (firing their weapons).

Perhaps, you need to offer the officers the same thing that you are grateful for-LPSG.ORG - View Single Post - Today I'm Thankful For..... a second chance. Another view. There would be no winner in this under any circumstance. If the officers were convicted, it would say to officers to never lifted a finger to help-is that what you want? Again, it is impossible for us to know exactly what transpired that night when Bell was killed. Were the prosecutors failures at their job? Yup.

Tragically, Nicole Paultre Bell (the pre-wedding widow) has selected slimy lawyer Michael Hardy as an attorney. Hardy has long term ties with Al Sharpton who was part of the Tawana Brawley trial years back. Take a look at that for more examples of travesty-although that convicted Whitey, so it would make ya feel better. By the way, Sharpton still has made the payments which the court ordered him to pay.

8. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

It wasn't for "no reason." He ran.

Unfortunately, I still am not familiar with a constitutional prohibition against "running down the street," and that violations will result in immediate execution.

There you go, being all logical and shit.

9. Northland

Gold Member

Well now, Smartass, there was a request for a change of venue. You really need to do your homework- DetectivesÂ’ Lawyers in Sean Bell Trial Push for Change of Venue - New York Tim

wcbstv.com - No Change Of Venue In Sean Bell Shooting Trial

wcbstv.com - Sharpton Speaks Out Against Venue Change

It's been proven many times over that New York City is far better at giving the fair shake. In many areas, the trial is conducted without benefit of public airing and the person who is believed to be guilty just disappears-vanishes! The trial, showed that among other things, to have a clear win, one must have their witness be credible. Guzman failed. Benefield in his own way, when saying that Sean Bell was driving towards the officers, helped clear the cops and he was on the prosecutions side.

10. Northland

Gold Member

There was no running-all the victims were inside a car being driven by an intoxicated Sean Bell, Trent Benefield, one of Bell's friends said this himself. Again, there was no running (at least not down the street, the only running being attempted was the running down of police officers).

As to law, the State of New York allows for weapons to be used in the form of deadly force if an officer feels that their life is in danger.

11. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    whatever the case, i pray that one day nypd lose their trigger-happy ways and stop killing unarmed, innocent civilians. courtrooms, changes of venue and all the litigation in the world mean nothing to the little girl who's going to grow up without her father and the bridge who'll never see her husband again which would be understandable if he posed a thread or committed a crime. since he did neither it's all just one big shame and a giant middle-finger to the little girl and her mother

12. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

All I know is- I'm glad I don't have any business in the city for the moment, and two, I'm relieved I'm not nor do I know the judge personally.

13. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I smell swine in our midst... :rolleyes:

14. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

I think everyone keeps forgetting that police officers are just normal people who are charged with doing things that can, and do, get them killed.
    How many posters here have a job that requires you to risk your life?

The number of officers killed every year is about on par with the number of people killed by officers.

While I certainly feel that that the officers in this case acted stupidly... escalating a situation that didn't have to become deadly...

I also understand how frightening it must be to be a police officer trying to arrest a group of belligerent, drunken jerks.

It is astonishing how often people who are drunk, regardless of race, act threateningly toward armed police officers.

I know of 3 recent incidents where police shot down WHITE guys who were acting threateningly... who turned out to not be armed...
    And there was no hue and cry from the white community... no angry protestations from any except the families...

Because it is generally assumed in the white community that when an armed officer asks you to put your hands on your head... or to turn off your car... that doing ANYTHING ELSE can get you shot.

The Judge in this case ruled that the evidence showed that the men shot at were acting threateningly. He did not excuse the officers for being so situationally unaware that they mistook their own firing for return fire...

If any of us had that job... where we had to face down a group of guys in a car... who could have had anything in that car.... and those guys were refusing orders, and then accelerated their car.... what would we think, right there, at that moment?

I don't believe for a second that the men in this car were trying to hit the officers... I think they were just trying to drive away.
    But the question is... how did it look to the officers, in the heat of the moment, frightened that they might not make it home that night?

I don't think the officers were racist jerks out to kill black people, either. That assumption... that it was purely racial... is in itself a racist perspective.

I think there was a tragic confluence of entirely different understandings... the officers went to the club expecting some resistance...

The drunken victims came out of the club expecting nothing at all and were shocked and angered by the sudden and, to them, totally unwarranted harrassment.
    I think they had no real appreciation at all of the officer's states of mind.

Tempers flared and both sides acted in ways that were predictable... officers got nervous and pulled guns... and Bell and his friends were too drunk to understand the seriousness of what was going on.

I was once present when a police officer had to arrest a kid who was walking around town with his paintball gun, pointing it at people.

It was night, it was dark... I couldn't tell it was a paintball gun...

As the officer approached the kid with his gun drawn, I pulled my car around to shine my headlights on the scene...

The officer ordered the kid to drop the gun... and the kid, instead, tried to hold it out so the officer could see it was a paintball gun.

After he took the kid's gun, he yelled at the kid... I mean screamed at him in near hysterics... you could see the officer's hands were shaking...

And the officer turned to me and thanked me profusely...

He said, " if it hadn't been for your headlights on that kid... he would be dead right now... and I would have had to live with it for the rest of my life."

That experience changed my perspective on officer involved shootings.

None of us was there... we have no idea what anyone actually did or said.

Certainly it was tragic. But lots of people die tragically... and lots of people have to live with their part in creating a tragedy.

There is certainly a racial aspect... but not entirely due to white racism....

The black community often participates in their own racial profiling.
    The celebration of Thug culture... the songs about cop killing... the assumption of racism, and the angry response that engenders...

It all plays a part in making police officers nervous, scared... and more likely to misinterpret a rapidly unfolding situation. More likely to mistake Thug Chic, for actual thugs.
    More likely to see a shadowy and indistinct movement as threatening.

In short... there is plenty of blame to throw around.

Its not a defense of shooting people... Its an acknowledgment that the men who have to lay their lives on the line every day to enforce the law are dealing with a fear most of us never know in our safe and boring vocations.

Every citizen should understand and appreciate the DANGER that is represented every time a cop so much as pulls over a speeding car.

YOU would be nervous if that were your job. Your hand would be on the butt of your gun... not wanting to be one of the cops caught unawares whose names go on the wall at the station.

The solution is simple...
    I don't care what color you are, how drunk you are, how unfair it seems...

When the officer says stop... you stop... when he says turn off the engine, you turn off the engine....

You don't do anything to make him even more nervous...

Sort it out in front of the judge... after the cop's hearts have stopped pounding in their chests.... after the adrenaline has dissipated.

15. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    can you turn off the logistics for five minutes and just feel a tiny bit of sympathy for the real victims, the family members?? this little girl is gonna grow up without her dad and the best reason anyone can come up with is it was an accident??

16. lucky8

Gold Member

ya cops have way too much power these days, which is exactly why gun control is such a dumbass topic. i feel i need to be able to protect myself from them. my friend got tazed in his car last week for raising his voice and questioning a newbie cop about why he was pulled over to begin with. he seriously wasn't doing shit. he posed no threat whatsoever, he was even buckled in. i was sitting right next to him and she fuckin tazed him through the window, for no reason other than "she felt he was a threat". she was probably just pissed cause he's 23 and drives a $60,000 car. "Don't taze me, bro!"

17. LongRod

LongRod New Member

Well two of the three under-cover cops that did the excessive shooting were Black, just like the victim. It is hard to divide this up on racial lines. The Mayor of NYC himself said that this was excessive right after the incident occurred.

18. LongRod

LongRod New Member

Maybe she heard him thinking "what a stupid bitch".

19. thickcockguy

thickcockguy New Member

Strange that two of the officers were black.

20. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

I really don't see anything but a tragedy on a limited, personal level

it's not as if there's suddenly a big conspiracy to lay waste to all minorities

Draft saved Draft deleted