Bad time to be living in LA?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_mitchymo, Sep 21, 2009.

1. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

I just watched a wicked documentary about planet Earth which explained everything from the Earth's beginings as a molten planet to the first bacteria and the destruction of dinosaurs before going on to natural disasters.

I found the volcanoes part interesting but more than that was earthquakes.

Experts were talking about the mid-atlantic rift to show an example of what two tectonic plates moving away from each other look like and can only be seen clearly in Iceland which sits on both the North American and Eurasian plates.

They spoke of the rift waiting to happen on the west coast of the US which everybody agrees will get under way properly (they shown examples where it has already in other parts of the coast) after 'the big one'.

They then started to talk about fault lines and how there are visible faults and hidden fault lines. They believe one of these hidden faults sits directly under LA.

They explained how the longer it takes for the big one to happen the worse it will be due to the obvious pressure building up in the meantime.

You lot in New York are no safer however but from a different threat, highlighting the rift in the mid-atlantic again, the experts believe that the half of Iceland which sits on the North American plate will collapse and fall into the ocean with catastrophic results not just for the Icelandics but for the entire Eastern seaboard of the US which will suffer from a mega tsunami as a result.

In fact, with the Gulf and South-East affected by hurricanes, the Mid-West by tornadoes and the North-West sitting in proximity to a potential super-volcano at Yellowstone then i reckon the safest place to live in the States would be Wisconsin or Minnesota.

2. Flashy

Gold Member

well as a new yorker, i am concerned about the mega tsunami scenario, but i have heard it as beginning somewhere around Madeira, as there is a huge unstable rock island in the chain of islands that Madeira is in.

but who knows...I live on an extremely high floor in a sky scraper :biggrin1:

as long as the wave is under 200 feet, i should be okay! :biggrin1:

3. elegant20

Gold Member

And hence, all the Hollywood celeb nutjobs will come to NYC to further crowd the population more than ever before if disaster will strike LA.

4. Flashy

Gold Member

they are already here...most are bi-coastal :frown1:

the village and easthampton are full of them.

5. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I live on a sand bar sticking 50 miles out to sea..........I'm toast.

6. D_Tintagel_Demondong

It was nice knowing you, Indy. :hug:
    Ever hear of Hog Island?

There are fates worse than death.

I was walking in the middle of the yellowstone Caldera a few months back and I always felt uneasy knowing that I could be in an eruption much larger than Krakatoa. Of course, this eruption would affect global climate and have in impact on the entire world.

7. Flashy

Gold Member

yeah, i have to hope i am not in the hamptons when it occurs, or else i will be joining you on that toast

8. Flashy

Gold Member

that's it.

i am moving to the antarctic, with the penguins.

you will all be dead, and i shall be their king.

9. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Rex, you took the words right out of my mouth.

10. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Hmmm in a world of global natural disasters it may be the safest place to be although if we have'nt had a world war 3 before then it will probably start over the Antarctic territory with at least 5 nations having claims on it.

You better take an arsenal with you or at least start training them pengies to shoot!

What's wrong with those states? Are they a bit bland?

11. D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

i'm more woried about the illegals sucking me dry taxes and and not having any water.

12. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Nothing as long as you don't mind long winters and extremely long drives to get to the beach.

13. Flashy

Gold Member

not to worry good sir...

i have been actively involved in training several divisions of special operations capable penguin shock troops.

we are more than prepared for the coming conflict

worry about yourself, human.

14. midlifebear

Gold Member

My favorite overdue earthquake is in Ewetaw which is demarked by the Wasatch Fault which runs from about 100 miles or so from the south Salt Lick City along the Wasatch Mountain Front onwards to the north for another hundred miles. I once lived in a house directly on the fault line. It's still standing, but it is certainly not square.

From looking at historical geological scars (land shifts) along the Wasatch Front, it's screamingly obvious that a 7.+ hits that part of the State every 1,200 years. The kicker is that the last earthquake was about 1,400 years ago. So, like a 16 year-old deflowered virgin, the inevitable earthquake is late. The sad part is that the majority (like 75%) of Ewetaw's population lives along that fault. Supposedly, if you live on the east side of the fault you and your house just might survive it, because the Wasatch Mountains are still growing. (And despite what others may think, they are an extension of the Rocky Mountain Range.) The Wasastch fault is one of many north/south faults that geologically defines the beginning of the Great Basin. Its the basin and range part of the earth that is pulling apart. The salt flats west of SLC are said (by geologists who are keeping an eye on these things) to cover the biggest continuous thin part of the Earth's crust. SLC is built on an ancient lake bed (no bed rock) -- just as Mexico City still is. So the liquifaction of a 7.+ earthquake is going to be a tremendously destructive natural occurrence for downtowns of Provo, Salt Lake, Ogden, and Brigham City --- as well as all of the burgeoning communities along I-15 in between.

As for the Yellowstone Caldera, it's been rising at least 2 to 3 inches every year. If it were to blow again as it did 50 or 60 thousand years ago? Well, the whole planet will be screwed. Fortunately, it lets off more than just steam every 10 to 12 years by doing a little earthquake release of 2.0 or so.

And for you LPSG-ers who may live in/around or near Mammoth, California --- well, you know how fast your caldera is rising. There is still, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) a building moratorium in and immediately around Mammoth.

2012? Hmm . . . it just might be the year the Earth decides to move some furniture.

#14 midlifebear, Sep 21, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  15. Flashy

Gold Member

just as long as it doesn't move my TV, and does the moving quietly.

i don't like noisy neighbors.

16. nudeyorker

Gold Member

meh...I grew up in LA and I have been hearing "The sky is falling" since I was three years old. No matter where you go...there you are. I'm moving to Hawaii in the not too distant future and the dire warning there is that after California falls to pieces the tsunami that follows will wipe out Hawaii. I'll worry about it when it happens.

17. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    Was there ever a good time to live in LA?

I'm only going by hearsay, but it's not exactly held up as an exemplar of urban living.

18. midlifebear

Gold Member

Well, you don't want to be in Ewetaw when the Wasatch Crack decides to shift. It always seems to drop about 12 feet away from the mountains. One 12 foot thud and we can probably say goodbye to everyone as far away as Reno!

As for California (south of St. Luis Obispo), it was a rather wonderful place to be when there were nothing but citrus fruit tree ranches stretching down to Sandy Eggo. And as for northern California, there is still the bucolic pumpkin ranches of La Honda. To think there was actually a time when San Jose was stunningly beautiful every spring with cherries, almonds, apples, peaches, apricots and bunches of other vast tracts of orchards in bloom. Even the summers in that part of the world seemed so green and endless. Boy, howdy! Those days are covered in asphalt and concrete (until the BIG one).

#18 midlifebear, Sep 21, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  19. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

LOL. Are they Emperor penguins tho?, cos they might want to destroy you and take control for themselves.

Liquifaction, that is the worst earthquake scenario, i'd be moving right out of those areas for sure.

As for 2012? well Nostradamus does have a specific prediction for the cali quake in 2015, the same year that he predicts a devastating quake in Italy.

20. Flashy

Gold Member

those troublemakers have already been dealt with.

Draft saved Draft deleted