Bad Weather: Are y'all okay?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There has been some pretty severe weather in the mid-west and southeast US recently. Are all our members in those areas safe and dry? njqt466

13 dead, 3 missing in central US storm
By BETSY TAYLOR, Associated Press Writer 3 minutes ago

Residents of low-lying towns stacked sandbags or grabbed belongings and evacuated Wednesday after a foot of rain pushed rivers and creeks out of their banks in the nation's midsection. At least 13 deaths had been linked to the weather, and three people were missing.

Record or near-record flood crests were forecast at several towns in Missouri. Flooding was reported in large areas of Arkansas and parts of southern Illinois, southern Indiana and southwestern Ohio, and schools were closed in parts of western Kentucky because of flooded roads.

"We've got water rising everywhere," said Jeff Korb, president of the Vanderbugh County, Ind., commissioners.

The National Weather Service posted flood and flash flood warnings from Texas to Pennsylvania.

After two days, rain had finally stopped falling by Wednesday afternoon in much of Missouri and Arkansas as the weather system crawled toward the Northeast, drenching the Ohio Valley and spreading snow over parts of northern New England. A parallel band of locally heavy rain stretched from Alabama and Georgia to the mid-Atlantic states.

Atlanta police closed some downtown streets in case the stormy weather knocked down more broken glass and debris from buildings damaged by Friday's tornado

In Ohio and other areas, the rain fell on ground already saturated from heavy snowfall less than two weeks ago.

A foot of rain had fallen in sections of southern Illinois and at Mountain Home, Ark., and Cape Girardeau, Mo., while 6.2 inches fell at Evansville, Ind., the weather service said.

Five deaths were linked to the flooding in Missouri, five people were killed in a highway wreck in heavy rain in Kentucky and a 65-year-old Ohio woman appeared to have drowned while checking on a sump pump in her home. In southern Illinois, two bodies were found hours after floodwaters swept a pickup truck off a rural road.

Searches were under way in Texas for a teenager washed down a drainage pipe, and two people were missing in Arkansas after their vehicles were swept away by rushing water.

Searchers in Missouri found the body of Mark G. Speir Jr., 19, on Wednesday about 2 miles downstream from where he was reported swept into a creek the previous evening.

"He was going down the creek screaming and hollering," Lawrence County emergency management chief Mike Rowe said.

An estimated 300 houses and businesses were flooded in Piedmont, a town of 2,000 residents on McKenzie Creek. Dozens of people were rescued by boat.
Outside St. Louis, the Meramec River was threatening towns including Eureka and Valley Park, where Chandra Webster's kids ran bags of toys and clothes to the car while she moved boxes of belongings to the second floor and her husband moved furniture out of harm's way.

"It's a lot of work, but it's worth it to save your stuff," Webster, 34, said Wednesday. "In '82 we lost everything when I was a little girl. I don't want to put my kids through that."

The Meramec hit a record 39.7 feet that year; flood stage is only 16 feet. A levee completed just three years ago is designed to hold a flood of 43 feet, three feet above the crest forecast for later this week.

Valley Park alderman Steve Drake helped fill sandbags.

"We've got everybody working together," Drake said. "It's going to be interesting."

Gov. Matt Blunt said he was seeking a federal disaster declaration for 70 of Missouri's 114 counties and the city of St. Louis.

Widespread flooding in Arkansas had washed out some highways and led to evacuations in some areas, said Tommy Jackson, a spokesman for the Arkansas Department of Emergency Management. The Highway and Transportation Department reported state roads blocked in 16 counties.

Some residents of southern Illinois had to evacuate. In Marion, firefighters in some cases used their own fishing boats to rescued 13 residents of the city's housing authority.

Key roads were closed in the Cincinnati area, where water 4 feet deep was reported in businesses in the suburb of Sharonville, police said.
Ohio rescue workers were busy helping people out of cars swamped by the flooding.

"The biggest problem has been people driving into floodwater," said Frank Young, emergency management director in Warren County. "There are a lot of stupid people. When that sign says 'Road closed, high water,' that's what it means."

___ Associated Press writers Terry Kinney in Cincinnati; Paul Weber in Dallas; Chuck Bartels in Little Rock, Ark.; Marcus Kabel in Springfield; Jim Salter, Cheryl Wittenauer and Christopher Leonard in St. Louis; Chris Blank in Jefferson City; and Jim Suhr in southern Illinois contributed to this report.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The UK's been having some really bad weather lately, nothing we can't handle as I think the media have over-exagaratted it.
Saw that on CNN last week. What's with all the high winds and flooding around the globe? I know it's all part of global warming but shouldn't that mean warmth? We had hail he size of peanut M&M's Saturday.

lttlgrllst

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
We have had roads closed and several people washed away in the floods. They found the body of a 19 year old boy yesterday.:frown1:
But I'm staying in and safe.

gayguy777

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm in central Missouri and we have had over 12 inches of rain this month already! No flooding where I live because we are up on a bit of a hill. Our foundation of our house has started to slide out from under us though from all the rain. Only time will tell how bad it gets from now.