Baker Street singer Gerry Rafferty dies at age of 63

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Baker Street was a key part of the soundtrack of my life when it came out. It was as if it had been written especially with my dumb-ass 18-year old self in mind.

It, unlike so much from the late 70s, seems to defy aging and has stayed fresh.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You don't think it's a wee bit evocative of velour, wide-waled corduroy, A certain hairstyle, etc...?

I do like the song, and I know what you're meaning, but, c'mon! :tongue:

You know, there are three different ways of approaching that question, all equally valid and each of which figured into my statement:

1) It's evocative of a time in my life where I was paying especially strict attention. Colin Wilson referred to these times as peak experiences, when it seems as though one's mind, so highly focused, becomes etched with a particular moment in time and space. Much like Proust's madelaine, hearing that song brings me back to a place where velour, wide-wale cord and all the rest weren't dated, and at that moment of reminder it's as if you've just experienced that time again. This recall is not historic, it's revelatory and breaths fresh breath into a time long past;

2) When I think of that time, I'm remembering people's voices, their faces and what things smelled like more so than the banal reality of dark brown high-wasted bell-bottoms. Also, though by no means everywhere and by no means complete, the late 70s saw a decided shift in fashion; by 1978 I wore my hair short(er) and side-parted, not shoulder-length and center-parted. Straight-legged jeans were becoming increasingly the norm, and natural fibers were making the beginnings of a huge comeback. Though not entirely wrong, the look you're describing sounds more like the Bicentennial than the years I graduated HS two years later, at least amongst peleo-hipster smartasses living in Boston;

3) Compared to this, Baker Street is fresh; compared to, say...this, it's an historical artifact :cool:

Nice pic, BTW: anyone I'd know?:tongue:

Poor ol Pete Postlethwaite died recently too. :(

I was shocked at how young he was...he's kinda looked about 64 for the past twenty years. :/
Brilliant actor, though.