Ban the word "Retard"

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by ssongs, Feb 4, 2010.

1. ssongs

ssongs Active Member

Albums:
    So Rahm Emanuel said that liberal activists are "fucking retarded" and now, several months after the fact, he's getting a lot of flak over it. There's even a campaign to ban the "R-word." http://www.r-word.org Also Sarah Palin is all up in arms about it because I guess her youngest son is mentally challenged.

First, Rahm Emanuel should know better than to say something like that in front of the wrong people. Everything every politician says, or any celebrity for that matter, has the potential to end up in the news and on the internet. But I guess they do slip up every now and then. Second, is Sarah Palin just using this get in the news again? Does she really care about this matter?

I think I should be able to say "retarded" or "retard" whenever I want. Sometimes at work I call someone a retard because what they're doing is indeed retarded. I don't say it in a literal sense, which I guess that's what the whole ban is about. And I understand why they want to ban it, because it offends the mentally challenged and their loved ones. I also say "gay" a lot as in "That's gay (lame)." Are they going to ban that too?

And what's going to happen if it does end up getting banned? It can't be a law because it would violate freedom of speech. Would it be more of a social taboo? Would the only punishment be a stern look and people shaking their heads at me? I think New York City banned the word "nigger" a few years ago, after years and years of use I might add. They obviously can't go around fining everyone that says the word.

What do you guys think?

2. ssongs

ssongs Active Member

Albums:
  3. luka82

Gold Member

You can`t ban it, I use it too often:):):)

4. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Several issues for a better press. See if you cannot communicate without having to resort to name calling.

I understand Sarah Palin's nose getting out of joint, since she has a child she recently gave birth to that is a Downes Syndrome kid. I can also see her using that as a political attack.

Seeing through people like Palin is easy.

5. Onslow

Gold Member

I think people will use anything to attack the other side for their own gain. As to the use of retarded and retard, it would be best if people thought more carefully before using the word{s}. There is a difference even to the medical community between the terms retarded and Down Syndrome. Down Syndrome deals with a chromosome disorder/difference. Retarded is when something is slowed. Learning impaired can relate to various things including dyslexia. Would you refer to a dyslexic as retarded simply because they couldn't grasp a concept as written on a chalk board? What if that same person, was able to completely comprehend the idea presented when done through verbal-auditory? Choose words carefully, learn their full meaning before uttering them.

More on Down Syndrome;::: National Down Syndrome Society - Welcome to NDSS

In the situation with Palin and Emanuel the Democrats will attack Palin whenever they can and the Republicans will attack the Democrats whenever they can.

Does Palin really care? Not being in her head, I can't tell you.

Is the PC mentality going too far? In many ways and at many times, yes. On the ill chosen usage of retarded, I don't believe they have.

More on Palin and Emanuel comments from the LPSG politics section::: http://www.lpsg.org/169008-sarah-palin.html

6. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    That's retarded :rolleyes:

An example of a word with various legitimate uses, being taken out of context.

Retard(ed)= Slow(ed)
    I'll retard the speed of fan motors to adjust an air imbalance

7. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I think using the word in a derogatory manner towards a group or individual who have mental challenges is hurtful. I used to be a coach for The Special Olympics and it was then that I came to understand the stigma and hurt that they felt with careless words by others directed toward them as an individual or group.
    However I think we take political correctness too far at times; in terms of attitudes and ideas and situations I have used the word quite often in private conversations. However with that said I don't think I would ever say it in a public venue.

#7 nudeyorker, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  8. D_Tyrone_Tittickler

D_Tyrone_Tittickler New Member

Definition of "POLITICIAN" Open mouth and insert foot!

9. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Yes, but people with Down Syndrome have some degree of retardation.
    Their IQs range from 35 to 70 most often.

So they can correctly be described as being 'retarded.'

10. gymfresh

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I only enjoy hearing the word retarded ("retahded") as a pejorative -- politically or socially -- from Bostonians. It has a cachet that the midwesterner Rahm Emanuel can't pull off. Sorry.

The word also has legitimate uses in things from timing belts to ejaculation. Everyone needs to chill out. J'arrive en retard shouldn't automatically make people think you're riding on someone like a horse.

11. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

I don't want it banned when I use it for stupid, ignorant people.

Now, for people who are mentally challenged, down syndrome, etc. ,etc, it's derogatory & I would rather it not be used at all. in fact does anybody here even know the definition of retard?

Well, here's dictionary.reference.com's definitionRetard | Definition of Retard at Dictionary.com:

12. B_Mister Buildington

Banning words is unconstitutional.

13. chadstallion

Gold Member

Albums:
    oh puleeze.

14. Sergeant_Torpedo

Gold Member

The word is used in mental evaluation. I would not use it, and I believe people who do use it freely and often are somewaht limited in intelligence and personality. I do not believe in gratuitous vilence, however I wintnessed a senior manager use the word towards a kid fresh out of college. Another worker, who has a Down's Syndrome child walked over and punched the manager. Everyone cheered, and the manager was in the end reprimanded (but is still a twerp) and no action was taken with the assailant. This is in the UK where people generally behave well; I suspect in the US the managers cronies would have leapt to his defense. How do you bring up your kids?

15. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Highly educated and able to talk. He also knows karate, and can bench press 300. No one bothers him.

16. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Your smug generalization implying Britons' behavior is somehow superior to that of Americans is utterly retarded.

17. D_Relentless Original

Albums:
    I find the word offensive, i work with Adults with learning disabilities, i find that the young people use this word quite easily when they are shouting after people when accessing the community to go about their daily life.The amount of verbal abuse and ridicule is bad enough its offensive to the person and its offensive to me, it has the same meaning when used in this manner as Spaz and Mong terminology used years ago, its derogatory to the person. Where are some of your values people?

#17 D_Relentless Original, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  18. luka82

Gold Member

Now, now.....be nice!!!!:tongue:

19. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

Its too useful a word, and so appropriate for so many diff occassions... No Ban....

20. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not so much a ban as to appropriate usage--when and were and toward whomever it needs to be given to.

Draft saved Draft deleted