Bananas Prevent HIV Infection

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Bananas prevent HIV infection | MNN - Mother Nature Network

MNN said:
The miracle substance in bananas is called BanLec, a type of lectin, which are the sugar-binding proteins found in a variety of plants. Scientists have long been interested in lectins because of their ability to halt the chain reaction that leads to certain viral infections. In the case of BanLec, it works by binding naturally to the sugar-rich envelope that encases the HIV virus, thus blocking its entry into the body.

"The problem with some HIV drugs is that the virus can mutate and become resistant, but that's much harder to do in the presence of lectins," said lead author Michael D. Swanson. "Lectins can bind to the sugars found on different spots of the HIV-1 envelope, and presumably it will take multiple mutations for the virus to get around them."

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
amazing! a psychic had told me years and years ago that the solution for HIV would be found in a food probably already in my kitchen!

Was that before or after the hospital took away your kitchen privileges to keep you from playing with knives? :smile:

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
<sigh>

The miracle that is a banana!
It's food, it's pleasure, a slapstick prop and now medicine all combined in a little yellow biodegradable package!

I <3 u.