Banning notification (spunoff from "Be part of the solution" thread.)

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Sorry I have to strongly disagree with this. It conjures up imagies of public hangings with hags baying for blood.

I cannot see anything wrong with the current report post feature which seems effective if used properly.

Seconded. All these ideas for a public discussion of trolls and public troll ratings on profiles would deteriorate into a dumbass popularity contest immediately, if not sooner - not to mention the whole Crucible atmosphere to that kind of 'burn the witch' thing. No thanks - the report button is fine, maybe more people need to use it is all.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Seconded. All these ideas for a public discussion of trolls and public troll ratings on profiles would deteriorate into a dumbass popularity contest immediately, if not sooner - not to mention the whole Crucible atmosphere to that kind of 'burn the witch' thing. No thanks - the report button is fine, maybe more people need to use it is all.

Thirded, if that's a word.

We already attempted this with members giving each other both positive and negative ratings. The system was widely criticized and ultimately abandoned.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Thirded, I think clearer notification and explanation of moderator decisions should be the first order of business. I can see the appeal in what's proposed but I'm sure it would soon turn into a popularity poll, or worse.

If it was primarily a novelty feature (like the 'kudos' thing that came and went), that would be a little different, especially if it were balanced with a 'valuable member' button. Well, maybe not...

OK Fourthded (and I'm sure that's a fiction)

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
As much as it can abused, a public poll by the Mods asking if a person is a troll may be the best way. If 66% vote yes on a person, they should be put on probation (instead of member) If they can not clean up their act they should be banned.
The thing about this Mem, is that people who are disliked for any reason could be casually thrown away. It would be nothing but a matter of playing favorites-currying favor among certain groups to maintain a lopsided group which would, probably get you the old axe (and maybe even me). The moderators exist for a reason, and if what they tell is true, they discuss bannings which are not age related. A true troll is always harder to spot-but, then again, you already knew that, didn't you, Felix.

So, it's this way Felix, with your method, I would gather my minions and we would all be able to successfully troll-list you and out you'd go. Needless to say, you'd amass your troops and do the same to me-so we'd both end up out on our keisters.

(*before the masses go nuts; I do not know if his name is really Felix*)

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I didn't mean to suggest that these members were less important, and I apologize for having given that impression. (It's good to have you back, by the way.)
Thank you. Much appreciated. I only wanted to highlight that anyone who cares about the future of the site is important.
I agree. We should have gotten involved earlier. Again, I'm speaking only for myself here: Inevitably, we're accused of being heavy-handed fascists when we do intervene. As we've seen, the hands-off approach produced different, but not better results. We won't find a middle ground that will satisfy everyone, but we could definitely have handled this more smoothly had we done so earlier.
I don't think this is a matter of the pendulum swinging from one extreme to the other. That was my point about setting the tone for the membership. If members understand and follow the precedent created by the staff, then there will be less need for periodic intervention. It's no different than supervisors creating the atmosphere they wish to generate in the workplace. No, you can't make everyone happy but you can be more effective with positive reinforcement.

Yes - but consider this. Because I didn't know I was banned I didn't know to clear cookies to read here so I ended up being informed of my ban by a posting on big_dirigible's site. How helpful is that?

Banned members atempting to log in need to be redirected to a screen that informs them they are banned. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. "Fuck off, mate, you're banned!" and a smilie flipping the bird would be better than nothing.

This is true. N_S is the one who told me I was banned when he logged on. Not the proper way to find out that information. Excellent suggestion.

PS, You could also keep an on screen troll record of the number of times someone has been acussed of being a troll on their peofile too, like there's a record of how many posts you made. That way people can see if someone is known for being trollish and ignore them.

Rugbypup has the basis for a good idea, maybe just a 'report' button on each profile which people can press, put in their reason and the report is sent to a moderator (e.g. X revealed he was a clever 1 year old, so H presses 'report' on X's profile and types in the reason that X is underage)

Or some kind of rating that could bypass the unpopular people getting a big dancing troll forever on their profile :tongue:

I like the suggestion except that shaming those who are banned shouldn't be the goal. The point is to solve the problem not ridicule others.

I don't think it's the ToS that has torn apart the membership here.
I think the ToS a part of the problem but certainly not all of it.
As far as I remember when new mods were being sought last time, Rob E wanted a braod representation of the membership. I disagree with this strategy. You should have mods who truly represent the brand of the site, as directed by the owner and his admins.
I don't know that they're mutually exclusive but I agree that there should be like minds about the directive and goals for the site, otherwise everyone is wasting their time.

Oh, and no polls about how members conduct themselves. Please. I know you mean well, Mem, but I can't agree with that.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The problem is that one of the two trolls kisses the Mods ass. He then turns around and shits on the majority of people here. He fits every definition of a troll, yet he is allowed to be here.

Meanwhile, a valuable and wise member, who had more than one member name here at the same time, (CS) is banished forever.

If I were to ask every Mod if "said troll" is indeed a troll, they would have to be lying to me or to themselves to say otherwise.

I don't think he is a troll because I dislike him.

There are other people that I dislike here because they have been nothing but nasty to me. I wish they would leave, but they are not trolls.

It's like being told that a useless employee is allowed to keep their job because they have seniority and are in the Union.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Correct. That should not come into it.

There are other people that I dislike here because they have been nothing but nasty to me. I wish they would leave, but they are not trolls.

You are probably not the only one here who has people in that category Mem. The answer is to ignore them and not to take the bait. There is though, I hope, a difference between those people you are referring to and those who simply disagree with you on certain subjects. :wink:

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
The problem is that one of the two trolls *snip*
There are other people that I dislike here because they have been nothing but nasty to me.*snip*

Mem - may I respectfully suggest that this discussion is best kept in general terms. One of the things this thread is for is for Rob_E to read the comments and, maybe, take direction from them. Having a load of "he said / she said" BS in here is not helpful or useful - to anyone, least of all Rob.

Also, as is your want, you are presenting your opinions as fact. This is just likely to cause people to start arguing the issues surounding those opinions and not discussing possible ways to improve aspects of this site.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Meanwhile, a valuable and wise member, who had more than one member name here at the same time, (CS) is banished forever.

The thing is Mem, he was a valuable and wise member in your view, not necessarily in other's.

Your comment underscores the risk that the sort of facility you suggest would perpetuate and give legitimacy to member's personal likes and dislikes at the possible cost of a (valuable and wise) member being banned for no reason other than not being perceived as valuable or wise enough by enough people who felt otherwise.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
these ideas for a public discussion of trolls and public troll ratings on profiles would deteriorate into a dumb ass popularity contest immediately, if not sooner - not to mention the whole Crucible atmosphere to that kind of 'burn the witch' thing. No thanks - the report button is fine, maybe more people need to use it is all.

We already attempted this with members giving each other both positive and negative ratings. The system was widely criticized and ultimately abandoned.

I never knew that supposedly innocent ratings system was meant for such a sinister purpose. Have you got anymore shocking secrets to tell us?:eek:

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I never knew that supposedly innocent ratings system was meant for such a sinister purpose. Have you got anymore shocking secrets to tell us?:eek:

Dude.

It wasn't intended for any sinister purpose.
In fact the suggestion for it came from members earlier in this very thread.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The problem is that one of the two trolls kisses the Mods ass. He then turns around and shits on the majority of people here. He fits every definition of a troll, yet he is allowed to be here.

If I were to ask every Mod if "said troll" is indeed a troll, they would have to be lying to me or to themselves to say otherwise.

It's like being told that a useless employee is allowed to keep their job because they have seniority and are in the Union.

Mem,

Let's look at things this way. You come to LPSG to enjoy yourself and have pleasant intereaction with others who are like minded, no? You create threads that you find interesting and create many of them. Someone else not liking the content of your threads or the fact that you created so many may chose to call you out of your name, insult your intelligence or call you a troll just because they are feeling it. Is that fair? No, it isnt. Does it happen? You tell me.
God bless us all, we have a varied membership base coming from all different walks of life. I have long disliked the intolerance I have seen exhibited on the board. Just because someone is a long term member (that is relative) or creates wonderful though provoking posts (that is subjective) or is cute( that is subjective) Or is charming( that is subjective) does not mean that their rights should be any greater than the noobie, the conservative, the religious, or even the member who may be trying to find a way to break through the line to get into the club.

Folks,
I will fully admit that moderators as human beings can be vexed, tired, biased and make mistakes at times. But we too appreciate kindness, the benefit of the doubt and the common courtesy that at the end of the day we are trying to make a difference. We work at the pleasure of ROB E. There are some things that you may never see implemented because it is his site. That does not mean that this place can not be a site members enjoy. But we each have to take a look at our own personal behavior and think how we may be contributing to the problem. Are we behaving trollishly? Everything that can be said doesnt need to be said.I do believe in freedom of expression but even that needs to be within certain boundaries for the greater good. Bad feelings go both ways.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
For our own benefit, and for the benefit of the site, we will have to try to ignore those that we feel are trolls.

We should treat the Mods as we would like to be treated if we were in their position.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
I believe the concept behind that was to produce a more balanced discussion on controversial issues when they arise. I'm not sure I'm interpreting what you suggest correctly but eliminating the diversity of the mod forum reads like only allowing republicans to vote for the next president.

Not so IMO.

There are connections that happen here that would be most unlikely IRL.

With all due respect to Mem, he and I are probably as odd an odd couple as you might ever meet, yet we can coexist here just fine.

Why is this? It used to be the defining quality of this site and it is ultimately about brand or culture or whatever you choose to call it. That culture is the defining essence of what this site should aspire to be and has been.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Sorry - to be completely transparent - what I mean is, that it should have absolutely no relevance what you are, who you are, who you like to fuck, what colour you are, what age you are, what religion you are, what nationality you are etc etc etc, it is rather what makes us all the same, namely that we like being here, and those who sadly no longer have that choice. This is what the Moderating team should represent and uphold. Not a list of rules, no matter how well written and thought through.

RobE needs to know this and act upon it.

titanya

Just Browsing
Media
For our own benefit, and for the benefit of the site, we will have to try to ignore those that we feel are trolls.

We should treat the Mods as we would like to be treated if we were in their position.
As a Mod on another forum, I can echo this statement, as it's NOT an easy job. DaveyR is a fellow mod on the same forum and introduced me to LPSG :)

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
As a Mod on another forum, I can echo this statement, as it's NOT an easy job. DaveyR is a fellow mod on the same forum and introduced me to LPSG :)

Yes and being a Family forum it is extremely different to LPSG. I would say that we have it easy compared to the Mods here. :wink:

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As it should have been this time.

Sorry - to be completely transparent - what I mean is, that it should have absolutely no relevance what you are, who you are, who you like to fuck, what colour you are, what age you are, what religion you are, what nationality you are etc etc etc, it is rather what makes us all the same, namely that we like being here, and those who sadly no longer have that choice. This is what the Moderating team should represent and uphold. Not a list of rules, no matter how well written and thought through.

RobE needs to know this and act upon it.

I think there is a little bit of a bias peeking out here. What has the bolded portion to do with moderator selection?

Yes, that we like being here is a unifying trait of the site as well it should be. IMO the ToS is structured to uphold that. It's designed to ensure that some don't make it an unpleasant experience for others.

If you wish me to go through the ToS point by point to explain how I think it does this I will but it won't be until tomorrow when I have the time.