Banning notification (spunoff from "Be part of the solution" thread.)

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Which is why, this site, as is the case on some other sites, would benefit greatly from a cloaking device. The moderators would exist, and could be contacted; however, nobody would know who they were.

What a fabulous idea.

Now there is a suggestion that should be definitely considered

It's intriguing. I wonder if naughty is serious about considering it a fabulous idea.
How would mods intercede in threads that need it?
Would their posts simply read Moderator?

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I brought this up in the re-admit Chicago Sam thread...

Why do we only hear from 3 or maybe 4 Moderators in these discussions?

Where are the rest of you? Why are you a Mod if you do not participate?

Is it a "majority" of 3 or 4 Mods making these decisions?

Onan

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Well - there could be a Moderator account that all mods could log into and use to post in threads where it was needed.

This idea reminds me of an execution where no one knows who had the bullet in their gun to feel the guilt of killing someone.

I think its a great idea actually. It would prevent one or two mods getting the heat all the time.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A good number of the mods are gone, either resigned or off otherwise and not around. As it is, I think only 3 or 4 mods are here on any regular basis plus mindseye and pecker.

here's my problem with the cloaked moderator idea, and it somewhat dovetails with what DW is saying:

i don't see babysitting, refereeing fights, banning, and janitorial work as the sole or even most important function of a moderating team. in my mind, moderators are around to facilitate discussion among the members, and as DW pointed out, keep the forum brand in focus and on track. a good deal of that should be posting to keep discussions on track and to start new discussions as needed. if moderators are chosen to represent the site and not to be babysitters and janitors, they should absolutely be participating in threads more.

with the moderators participating in threads actively with their names out there they become more accessible as people (therefore harder to revile), they set a tone for the board with their posts, and their presence will usually make people calm down.
a lot of this transparency stuff comes up over and over because rarely do the mod and admin teams do much publicly on the boards but respond to these heated threads. if it seemed less like we were being watched and then spanked and more like an active group leader has asked us to pipe down, the less it would feel like it's us versus them.

i've said this before, and it's fallen on deaf ears. if there aren't enough moderators to do the janitorial stuff, add more moderators so more can participate. when one drops out for whatever reason, add another one.

Supersized

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
be careful findfirefox that sort of language can get you bannned. Why risk losing access to such great site just because you've got some displaced anger.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Notification systems may be broken but people should not be. How hard is is to notify each person via e-mail that they have been banned. You make it sound as if thousands are banned each day.

HaagenDazs

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm one of the few members who posts on here occasionally and uses the gallery and PM system more, so allow me to offer the viewpoint of things from outside the dense social network that has become the LPSG forum:

YOU ARE TAKING THIS SITE TOO SERIOUSLY!!! I mean...deviating from PC language for a second...Who really gives a shit. Geez. Why is that every week I sign on here I see some member bitching about who got banned or how the site isn't run to your liking or how the mods/admins are evil demons from the Fourth Dimension.

If you don't like how the site is run and you are pissed your friend got banned for breaking the rules here's a thought: sign off and don't come back. I'm so tired of seeing people bitch and moan about a site.

The ONLY people who have the right to bitch are Gold Members: BECAUSE THEY'RE PAYING FOR THIS SITE. In which case the admins/mods should be in the service of giving them their money's worth.

But non-Gold Members really out to shut the fuck up, because you're enjoying a site for free, a gallery for free, the ability to meet people, chat with them, interact with them, etc, and you aren't paying a fucking dime.

Geez. If a person got banned then APPARENTLY he did something wrong. I don't think the mods or admins sit here banning people for the hell of it. And certainly I doubt they're banning popular members for the fun of it, because the popular members are what keep things going.

Apparently, the people who get banned did something. This is the internet people. Just because someone makes themselves seem one way in a forum, doesn't mean they aren't a weirdo, troll, pedo, psycho, or nutjob. And the mods/admins have insight into certain specifics that we dont. And make their decisions based on their rules.

What REALLY would be helpful is if you all told your friends who get banned to stop breaking the rules. Or stop popping off at the mouth to the people who own the site.

I've been on this for a minute and I haven't had a run in with any mods, admins, or users. I just use it for what it is. But when this site starts to become your REAL LIFE, then that is when you get all annoyed over a simple interface, text, and some binary code. Some of you need to just click the red X and go back to the REAL WORLD and enjoy yourself.

I suggest some of you do something.

It's actually kind of annoying to see people bitching and moaning in a new thread every two days because their "Friend" (who was probably a nutjob pic thief weirdo internet psycho in reality but pretending to be the 'cool guy' in the forum) got banned or because shit isn't going the way they want it.

Administrators/moderators are NOT in your debt. They don't own you anything. This is the ADMINISTRATOR'S site and they can run it the way they want. And the moderators are empowered by them so if they are going by the administrator's rules, this is their world. And unless you're a Gold Member you really don't have much to say because you aren't paying for it.

And NO I'm not just slightly annoyed by this thread because I'm the administrator of a site and moderate two others and have to deal with mouthy assholes tell me how to run my site or make my rules when they

*aren't helping me keep the site on it's servers, aren't doing maintenance,
*aren't paying for bandwidth and servers,
*aren't helping me during the extensive cosmetic restructuring of the site and updates, and who
*haven't given me a fucking dime to support the database that makes their 10,000 posts of bullshit possible

...and thus am able to identify with how the admins/mods might feel with these constantly bullshit threads...

...no it's not that at all. I'd be annoyed regardless. Because it's really NOT that serious for there to be a new thread about "Who got banned" or "The site isn't being run how I want it" every week.

seahorses

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It's just water under the bridge anyhow.

Carry on with the thread.:smile:

I thought it was Trolls that were under the bridge. That’s about s far as my knowledge on Trolls extends, so perhaps some kind soul might enlighten me as to what exactly a Troll is in terms of this board? I mean, I could be a Troll and not even realise:eek:

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
And while I'm on the topic - moving these posts to this thread seems unnecessary - especialy all the ones between Drifter and Gillette that are not about banning notification.

Some of Drifterwood's posts referenced notification, though he was mostly talking about the style and language that might be used in doing so. My concern was that other suggestions (like the one for flagging photoshopped gallery images) were getting buried.
Yes, well the problem with this mindseye would be found in MY post which you have now moved-in it, I suggested the idea of a device which would conceal moderator status. It had nothing to do with banning. Clearly, you just wanted to exercise your alleged muscles and dispose of anything you do not agree with. I suppose, if you were merely an unknown co-admin. it would make your silly tiny crown less golden in appearance. My post was about creating solutions and new ideas-moving it was just stupidity on your part. It shows what is majorly wrong with this site. A power hungry egomaniac casually eliminates that which does not appeal to him, knowing that instead of being in a readily accessable sticky thread, it will now be in a thread with a misleading topic name-many of the posts in here, are NOT about banning, mindseye, as much as you will try to deny it. Your obvious hope is that the thread will fall off the page and if not, you'll just send it to the cornfield where only mods can locate it. After all we can't have you looking incompetent.

(and yes, I am well aware that you-mindseye-are not happy with the truths I have spoken here)

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I thought it was Trolls that were under the bridge. That’s about s far as my knowledge on Trolls extends, so perhaps some kind soul might enlighten me as to what exactly a Troll is in terms of this board? I mean, I could be a Troll and not even realise:eek:

A troll is a person who just comes here to disrupt the board and to get attention and adds nothing worthwhile.

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Hagen daz I am a gold member who just resigned said gold membership and not one fix for the problems here have ever been instituted. If the site weren't run by people trying to hold on to their lil' fiefdoms perhaps something worthwile might be done to fix the problems.
I noticed the "cigarbabe running" posts. Tharassement threads you let lafever post are supposedly against the tos but you let them be posted anyway.Or how about letting your underage child use your name to post. Permanent bans both ? Nope just a reminder about the ToS.
It's according to whomever decides to respond. It is a crock that you guys can't figure out who starts what. You antagonized me gilette, in that thread when I reiterated what you said.
Naughty also claimed that her "son" apologized when several people mentioned including me that he did not. Did you correct that assumption and say "hey lets stop the bs?" Or ask everyone to tone down the rhetoric?
No again. Pecker jokingly said he would close the thread but never did that until very late in the game.For the record everything posted here crossed the line. then to remove threads for "being unflattering towards the mods" is censorship
and editing at its worst.
cigarbabe:saevil: