Barack let me down

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_Nick8, Sep 26, 2008.

1. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    That's not true, actually. I'm just surprised at how truly invested I was in how he performed. Oh, don't jump on that word, stratedude, etc. You know you will/want to.

He started out nervously, understanding that this was the moment of his life. God, it made me nervous, and I was uncomfortable for both of them. I actually thought John handled himself well. I mean, who among us could rise to that? Honestly.

But, ultimately, Obama showed exactly where he came from. I believe in every one of his precepts, and I truly trust the man. I believe in his heart. I love that he has one. Experience? You all keep touting that. Remember: The smart man learns from his own experience. The wise man learns from other's.

Congrats, Barack. You did me proud.

#1 B_Nick8, Sep 26, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  2. Notaguru2

Gold Member

How do you think McCain's contempt and angst toward Obama the whole night will play? Obama seemed cordial, yet McCain seemed a bit disrespectful. Gore did the same thing in 2000 and it cost him the election. What do you think the read will be or do people just accept that as John McCain?

3. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hmmmmmmmm. The debate was showing to me that they both have wildly different perspectives. I don't trust any politicians but i'm willing to listen. I don't trust Mcain and I think Obama will eventually let me down. I work 2 jobs and have no health insurance. When someone fixes that...they'll get my vote...white or black or asian or indian or martian.

4. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:

I was honestly waiting for McCain to go and jump on Obama. Did anyone notice McCain grinding and clintching his jaws throughout the debate. He disrespectfully laughed, scoffed, and interrupted Obama. As someone else stated though, Bush did the same thing, and for some reason he got elected by acting like a toddler. However, McCain acted like an old, out of touch, stubborn, crotchity old man whos metamucial wasn't properly served.

5. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

Just keep thinking "He-he-he. Heh-heh-heh."

So snarky and so telling.

6. mattbuddy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I agree with you...I would hate to have that kind of pressure. He did a great job!

7. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah he did a great joob but so what. Do you REALLY think he's gonna be any better than anyone else? American politics and politicians are so f'd up. I watched the Diane Sawyer hard sell program on Obama before the debates. They'll do one on Mcain too. You'd have to be insane to think the throat stuffing she did on Obama, is cough cough...hard life and Chicago experiences wll make him serve us better. We americans are at the mercy of people that look out for themselves. And we are an afterthought. Obama might be a hair better or idealistic but I really don't expect anything more than what we have gotten the last 8 yrs. American politics and actuall people that care are dead. Just pull a lever. I'll vote democrat. ONly b/c I am. After all I've been thru w/politicians....honestly it doesn't matter...they're gonna do what they want.

8. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

I hear you, A. But it's better to err on the side of right...or at least better. Cynicism is understood, but I prefer to believe that life could just be better.

9. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah..but haven't Americans been saying that for 200 yrs or so and look at us now. Politicians are evil. Take it from a person that grew up near them and next to them.

10. B_New End

B_New End New Member

I hear you. Obama swung right after the elections, voted for FISA, and couldn't correct John McCain about foreign policy, he just went along with McCains "they are evil schtick" and then said "yeah, they are, but lets talk to them".

Obama will definitely be a letdown. Hopefully, some Republicans will learn the meaning of civil liberties, and not be so rushed to give them away to their next great republican president.

However....

There is a strong possibility, many nations act like Iran did after Reagan was elected. That is to say, Americas standing may just skyrocket in the world within weeks, as foreign nations do what they can to blast Bush and the GOP. We may see a surge of commitment to Afghanistan by allies, a laying down of arms by insurgent groups in Iraq, once a timetable is drawn up, North Korea resealing their nuclear program, and Iran being more open.

A lot of conservatives consider this Obamaid, but it happened when Reagan won, so it is not out of the scope of possibility. American culture is still loved the world around. They want to love us, they just hate Bush.

11. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    How America looks in the world after the elections remains to be seen and American culture may have a strong hold on the rest of the world, hey they all want to come here no? They're f'n jumping over borders and under fences to get here and sucking our welfare system dry. Oh wait..maybe they were running here to be next to Brittny Spears....or the Jonas Brothers.

12. B_New End

B_New End New Member

In a way,yes. The wealth of Americans is pretty much superstar status compared to the wealth of Mexicans.

Obama and McCain pretty much agree on immigration, too.

There really is not much difference between them.

13. uniqueusername

That happened after Reagan's election because they were AFRAID of Reagan. He was inspirational and fearsome at the same time. Obama may be inspirational and a change from the Bush administration, but you're kidding yourself if you think he strikes fear into the hearts of our enemies.

14. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not much difference but trust me they'll BOTH tax you despite what they say, tho Obama is more upfront thathe will d that. And I wasn't talking about wealth nec...It's just funny that(not really) that people that sneak into the country have better health care than I do ...which i none now. I don't want Canada's system but I don't think that every pregnant mexican that suck in here that sells bananas in the subway should get better health care than me..and I have none unless I want to pay 1000 dollars ata doctor and they pay whatever the gov't let's them get away with. Okay...okay.

15. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Either way I don't thik either candidate "won" the debate tnite. They bot just pointed out how nervous they were and they seemed to say what they both thot they wanted people to hear from their perspective points/platforms. They both have good points and bad. As far as the debates went tnite.....throw a rock in the air and try to catch it and vote on whatever side it lands on. A rock is a rock.

16. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

My uncle was a carrer ambassador. In the middle east. Turkey for 10 years and Saudia Arabis for 8, among many other posts. If you don't think I understand how politics works, you're mistaken.

The difference between us is, apparently, that I haven't yet given up entirely. Perhaps I'm wearing rose colored glasses, and maybe you'd tell me so, but I choose to get out of bed every day and believe that there is the possibility that things can change. That even I, in my small way, might make a difference. That there are people who, in spite of the harsh and odious political necessities and realities, still have a philosophy that resonates with me.

That's why I'm not taking that cyanide pill just yet. What's your excuse? :wink:

17. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:

I hope y're right. Butas I said we have hundreds of yrs that prove politicians say things and promise things and then go..."yeah I wantd to do that but after I got into office I realized it couldn't happen that way". trust me I'm not a 100% cynic I just want someon to make me sure I shouldn't be. I wish we had a 3rd candidate to vote for.

18. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

I thought McCain was much more centered than Obama, truer to himself, and much superior to our preconceptions.
    I don't say he was great.
    Obama was nowhere near as impressive as he is when giving a speech (and I know this is old news), didn't seem to quite know where he was taking many of his statements (though his landing pads were all good enough), and, while perfectly graceful and lucid, was on balance quite a letdown.
    I think McCain will pick up more than Obama from this encounter.
    Obama seems a bit, not only unformed, but unformable. He is too elastic. He's a brilliant reactor ... that's why he can give so fine a speech. (Though it's hard to remember much about his addresses, impressive though we remember them being.)
    I think we will be, if anything, less disappointed at the end of a McCain mandate than at the end of an Obama term.
    Unless I'm full of it.
    And I probably am, since I saw only part of the debates and was highly distracted anyway.
    And at the moment I am feeling good to the point of, well, inebriation.
    But I have been a pretty unqualified Obama supporter.

19. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    You hit a good note Senor

20. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    You hit a good note Senor.

Draft saved Draft deleted