Barack the Magic Negro

uniqueusername

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
That was easy to figure out. The problem I have is with the people making the message. Many times Limbaugh and other hardcore conservatives stated, in numerous ways, how they felt most white people were voting for Obama out of racial guilt, among many other things that didn't have anything to do with his policy or stance on the issues. I know some people voted for him based on his color. To act like nobody thought like this during the election would be foolish. But I honestly believe Limbaugh thinks the majority of people voted for Obama either out of guilt or based on his skin color. To think this way of 66 million people in this country is just really stupid if you ask me.

Knowing all of this, and seeing that he's one part of this whole fiasco is why I find this whole thing to be in bad taste.

If your problem was with Limbaugh to begin with, why didn't you say so? Nevertheless, Rush Limbaugh did not sing this song and was probably barely involved in its creation. As a frequent listener of Rush's, trust me when I say that most Shanklin parodies are combinations of high concept titles and intentionally bad impersonations. In this case, Rush probably sent Shanklin the article and told him to make a song out of it. So he got a megaphone, did an Al Sharpton impersonation, and used lines from the article in it.

Other examples:

"Love Client #9" - Bill Clinton singing about Spitzer
"Banking Queen" - Barney Frank's involvement in the mortgage crisis

Exactly. Not even bringing political correctness to the table (because I know I enjoy a few out of bounds comments now and then), but on a matter of common sense. Somewhere down the line, the RNC must've known the negative backlash this would cause. And you have to wonder if they are that desperate for attention that they would stoop to this level? ESPECIALLY if they want to convey a message of acceptance and diversity.

First of all, the RNC did not endorse or send this out. A candidate for RNC chairman (not the one I support; people who are in charge of losing campaigns have no business running the RNC) sent out the album as part of a gift bag to the people who may be voting for him. This seems like a pretty easy thing to miss.

To be sure, this will hardly impact the career of either individual. Rush still has the most listeners for any radio talk show, and his pushing the envelope and disdain for political correctness is hardly new. In radio, you're either shocking or boring, which is why liberal talk radio never took off.

Also, it seems people have a misconception about the right's opposition to Obama. It has nothing whatsoever to do with his skin color. We have already displayed the willingness to vote for non-traditional (read: not white male) candidates. Palin was an example for that. In all likelihood, Michael Steele will be the next RNC chairman. Not that it makes a lick of difference to me, but Bush has had the most diverse cabinet in history. It's more diverse than Obama's has proven to be so far. The Republicans are the party of Lincoln. The Democrats are the party of slavery, the Ku Klux Klan, and George Wallace.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
If your problem was with Limbaugh to begin with, why didn't you say so? Nevertheless, Rush Limbaugh did not sing this song and was probably barely involved in its creation.

But he's adding fuel to the fire by playing it on his show.
Don't defend the guy.

As a frequent listener of Rush's

Why? Did Casey Kasem not send out your Long Distance Dedication or something? Rick Dees play the Disco Duck one time too many? Don Imus was away on sensitivity training?

trust me when I say that most Shanklin parodies are combinations of high concept titles and intentionally bad impersonations.

Yeah, I already pointed out that Shanklin's performance sucked ass. :rolleyes:

In this case, Rush probably sent Shanklin the article and told him to make a song out of it. So he got a megaphone, did an Al Sharpton impersonation, and used lines from the article in it.

In other words, he was more than just "barely" involved.
Thanks for oxymoronic argument. :biggrin1:

First of all, the RNC did not endorse or send this out. A candidate for RNC chairman (not the one I support; people who are in charge of losing campaigns have no business running the RNC) sent out the album as part of a gift bag to the people who may be voting for him. This seems like a pretty easy thing to miss.

Thanks for the clarity, I guess.
Perhaps he should have sent out lumps of coal instead?

To be sure, this will hardly impact the career of either individual. Rush still has the most listeners for any radio talk show, and his pushing the envelope and disdain for political correctness is hardly new.

Well, that says a lot to the listener base that Rush has. Let it be known, I love a cleverly thought-out and worded politically incorrect joke. But Rush himself has been involved in comments that not only cross the line, they border on the line of unnecessary slander.

In radio, you're either shocking or boring, which is why liberal talk radio never took off.

They don't need radio. According to all the people on the right, dem libs have all of the news media with pictures. And whoever controls the images controls the culture. :biggrin1:

Also, it seems people have a misconception about the right's opposition to Obama.

The issue is not about "the right". It's an individual issue.
I can honestly say that some conservative people just don't agree with Obama and his policies. That's fine. However, when someone is just duped into believing scare tactics, character smears and slander, that's an entirely different story. I'm sure if I said that I didn't vote for McCain because he's too old and angry, then every conservative would be jumping on my back the same way every liberal jumps on the backs of people who didn't vote for Obama because he was a Extreme black, muslim elitist who plans to share the wealth.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with his skin color.

For some people, it is. Just like some people voted for him just because he is black. Don't assess the entire conservative base on this argument.

We have already displayed the willingness to vote for non-traditional (read: not white male) candidates. Palin was an example for that.

Well, you at least have the "male" part taken care of. :rolleyes:

In all likelihood, Michael Steele will be the next RNC chairman. Not that it makes a lick of difference to me, but Bush has had the most diverse cabinet in history. It's more diverse than Obama's has proven to be so far. The Republicans are the party of Lincoln. The Democrats are the party of slavery, the Ku Klux Klan, and George Wallace.

ROTFLMAO!
Honestly, do you think I'm going to fall for that line of ridiculous bullshit?

If you think today's Republican has any values that are in line with Lincoln, then you're more crazy than I thought. The Republicans were in tune with slavery just as much as Democrats because people of BOTH political affiliations owned slaves pretty equally. When Africans were brought over to this land, they were to work for an owner for several years and then be set free. The North followed this rule, and the South did not. As a result, the Civil War came about. Lincoln "freed the slaves", but I guess none of today's Republicans remembered that any black man that was still "in service" to an owner STILL had to live out the remaining days of their contract. So really, Lincoln didn't free anyone. His maneuver was more of a business related one than of civil liberty. But I guess "freeing the slaves" has a better ring to it, doesn't it? As for the Ku Klux Klan? For every George Wallace, there's a David Duke that we can point at as well. So please, don't shovel me any of the rhetoric.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It is in really, really, really bad taste.
That's for darn sure.

They should all be fired A.S.A.P.
Agreed. It won't happen and it won't do any good but it should be considered.

Does anyone remember GW Bush's first term? People who disagreed with him either publicly or in private just disappeared. If you were a reporter who dared ask the wrong question your career was over. They would have been lucky to be fired as they seem to have vanished from the earth.

God forbid President-Elect Obama react to this as his predecessor did to far less offensive taunts and comments. Some of you people will be shouting, "off with his head."

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
For the LIFE of me I dont understand why the color of his skin is a fucking issue to anyone.

If I spend a month in South America, my skin is the same color, I guess other people don't look at it that way. But regarding the parody, no matter who is responsible for it, it is still bad and wrong.

B_kewlhandle

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You are all a bunch of ignorant sluts, here is the link where the term "Magic Negro" as it pertains to Obama was first raised back in March of 2007 in the liberal and bankrupt Los Angeles Times. Obama the 'Magic Negro' - Los Angeles Times

Here is a direct quote from the article:

"Like a comic-book superhero, Obama is there to help, out of the sheer goodness of a heart we need not know or understand. For as with all Magic Negroes, the less real he seems, the more desirable he becomes. If he were real, white America couldn't project all its fantasies of curative black benevolence on him."

The phrase is a well-know term used in fiction writing applied to black characters who are not threatening to whites and are there to help the white character. It is discussed in this Wikepedia article Magical negro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which says in part:

" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_LeeSpike Lee popularized the term, deriding the archetypehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archetype of the "super-duper magical negro" in 2001 while discussing films with students."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_Negro#cite_note-strangehorizons-1http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_Negro#cite_note-SpikeLee-2

But in any event, when applied to Obama it should be the "Magic Mulatto" as he is half white.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Either way, It's curious on how the Republican party can get away with this and go unpunished...and if the democrats did this....they would be strung up on the highest post.

That reminds me of the time a few months back when there were a bunch of idiots here on lpsg posting all kinds of horrible tripe that was overtly bigoted. Really ignorant stuff. I posted a reply, dripping with irony, in which I mocked them by "agreeing" with their point of view. I then got slapped with a warning notification for making a "racist" post. Even after pm'ing the moderator to explain this, the "notification" that I made a "racist" post remains visible on my profile.

I have to wonder whether this is some sort of "comeuppance" in response to some of my posts in the politics forum, or if the moderator truly didn't understand the distinctions at play, or whether he just didn't care about sullying my reputation.

Now I'll probably get another "notification".

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Magical Negro seems to be an updated, modern term for an Uncle Tom. No matter how you dice it, it's offensive. Both to Obama and to those who voted for him. It denigrates the intelligence of the white voter who selected him based on his character and policies. It assumes, incorrectly, that those voters can't see past the colour of his skin. No doubt a few folks did vote for him just because he's black (or half black), but those are a small minority of both black and white voters.

Would it be fair to parody McCain and say that those whites that voted for him did so just because he is white? No it wouldn't.

I don't give a rat's ass if it was Spike Lee or Rush Limbaugh or the Man in the Moon who coined the phrase or wrote the song. It's assine, lame, and the idiot who handed around the CD is one helluva stupid politician.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I hate the increasingly insidious nature of PC culture, but the question one should ask is surely; had Hilary Clinton been elected, would such a device have carried a sexist undertone?

Regardless of the origin of the 'character', the end result, and motivation seem equally inevitable and transparent respectively; to create a [re]focus on the one thing over which the 'target' has no control.

uniqueusername

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Magical Negro seems to be an updated, modern term for an Uncle Tom. No matter how you dice it, it's offensive. Both to Obama and to those who voted for him. It denigrates the intelligence of the white voter who selected him based on his character and policies. It assumes, incorrectly, that those voters can't see past the colour of his skin. No doubt a few folks did vote for him just because he's black (or half black), but those are a small minority of both black and white voters.

Would it be fair to parody McCain and say that those whites that voted for him did so just because he is white? No it wouldn't.

I don't give a rat's ass if it was Spike Lee or Rush Limbaugh or the Man in the Moon who coined the phrase or wrote the song. It's assine, lame, and the idiot who handed around the CD is one helluva stupid politician.

You're COMPLETELY MISSING THE POINT.

The humor is not in calling Obama a "magic negro." Rush is MAKING FUN of people who call him that. It's satire. It's a parody of THE MEDIA for turning race into an issue in this campaign.

ktrout1981

Cherished Member
Media
the generally low-functioning level of political thought on this site probably suggests that a thoughtful response is not in order. however, i'm sometimes too undisciplined to refrain from taking the righty-bait. so i'll be your huckleberry.

in brief: the post did not explain the context. the song title was a reference to an LA Times column by a liberal, suggesting that whites could assuage racial guilt by voting for obama. if the knee-jerk responders were to put a few seconds of serious thought into the matter, they would realize that their beef is probably with the longstanding patronizing and paternalistic attitude of race-obsessed white liberals, rather than any parody of said attitude. alas, many liberals apparently fall into the franken trap of confusing self-righteousness with cleverness, and find it easier to fall back on their comfortable media-induced prejudices of republicans than to exercise some free thought, or engage in any analysis that isn't completely superficial. figures. superficiality is the name of the game when it comes to the american left and racial issues, and has been for decades now.

more worrisome than this, however, is the suggestion that people ought to be "fined" or "punished" for bad taste. by which thought police, i ask? wrap your tiny totalitarian minds around this: the race game has been used to smear the right to far greater effect than the mccarthyite methods of yore. there's a whole other can of worms here, of course, but this is just illustrative of what i fear will be a repetitive habit of painting ANY negative sentiment toward obama as racist, or racially insensitive. i mean, for chrissakes, democrats suggested after the RNC that republicans were using the term "community organizer" as a coded racist slur. change indeed. these tactics among the stalest and most unimaginitive in the lefty playbook. they are fatuous, absurd, and intellectually bankrupt.

i could go on at length, but i can't believe i've put even this much effort into a post on a large penis site with a streak for puerile and emotive political discourse. you're welcome.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This is hilarious, and sad. Sad cuz the GOP has recently made claims that it wants to become more inclusive, then they pull this stunt. Remember when Obama made a remark about a pitbull with lipstick? Repubs were up in arms, they called the comment insensitive even though he didn't directly reference Palin.

Now they pass around racist jargon and expect everybody to have a sense of humor. I guess we're supposed to ignore that racism has been an undertone of that party for how many decades now? I can take a joke, anybody who suggests otherwise can lick my sweet, cocoa behind.

BUT, the problem is the intention behind the jokes. Is it a desire to make someone laugh or the joy of poking fun at people that you feel are inferior? With the GOP, the answer to that question is transparent. I wanna line up black repubs and smack em all with my dick.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Always a victim of the media. Take those 'V' glasses off and see the real world.

AMEN! I'm so sick and tired of the GOP getting caught with their hand in the cookie jar then blaming the media for just filming them at the wrong angle. Continuously. Yup, they're the perpetual victims. You can only be wrongfully accused of douchery so many times before you have to stop and wonder, "Hmm, maybe I am a huge douche."