Barrett Jackson Collector Car Auction in Scottsdale, AZ

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by sdbg, Jan 12, 2011.

1. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The 40th Anniversary Barrett Jackson Collector Car Auction takes place in Scottsdale, AZ from January 17 through January 23. For any of you that are car buffs, this is an event that you won't want to miss. Speed TV covers the event every year. I record the shows on my DVR. This year, I'm driving to AZ for the weekend and will be at the event all day Saturday. I'm mostly interested in muscle cars from the '60s and early '70s, and thrilled that I'll get to see all the pristine cars on exhibit. Here is the link to their website.

Barrett-Jackson Auction Company - Scottsdale Collector Car Event

2. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have mixed feelings about Barrett Jackson's auction.

Yes, it brings some very collectible cars to the market and publics eye, but it causes a huge artificial rise in the price of the same vehicles in the rest of the U.S. which puts them out of the price range of the average joe. Worse, cars that may not be up to snuff are inflated to insane prices for what they are, "Because they saw one go on Barrett Jackson's auction for $xxx dollars". Sure, the big playboys are going to spend every dime they have at their disposal if they want that specific car to complete their collection - it doesn't mean ALL cars prices have to be inflated, but that's the trend. Some appraisers also use the BJ Auction to base their values.
    At least if I'm in a rut, and I desperately need to sell my car to the highest bidder - I can probably do it there. (Or Ebay)

For what it's worth... THe North American International Auto Show starts this weekend in Michigan at Cobo Hall, Detroit MI.

The end of February is when all the hot rodders like myself come out for Murray's Autorama in Detroit.

#2 Rikter8, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  3. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

People with more money than brains.

I love old cars, but there is no way in hell I'd shell out that kind of money on a car. I'd be scared to death to drive it, and what's the point of owning it if you can't enjoy it without fear of some dumbass hitting it?

4. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I hear what you're saying about the down side of the BJ auction. I love vintage muscle cars. I don't want one for myself; collecting cars is a rich man's hobby. I'm just going to look. This will be the first time that I'll get to be there in person instead merely watching it on TV. I'm excited to see the cars close up. Should be a blast!

5. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

as previous owner of a 1967 Ford Fairlane GTA (390 cid 4 bbl Holley C-6 Cruise-O-Matic) and a 1969 Mustang Mach I (351 cid 4 bbl), I'm sure I'd enjoy being there. but alas, in my indigent old age I'll have to watch it on cable TV.

have a great time in Scottsdale.

6. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Thanks Mike! I used to live in AZ. I'll get to hang out with my friends while I'm there as well as see the cars.

You had 2 highly desirable Fords. I had a '66 Mustang convertible back in the late '70s that I had dreams of restoring. 289, 4 barrel, 4-speed, factory console, factory rally pack tach and clock, factory rally wheels. Blue w/ parchment interior, white top. The car had a great deal of potential, but I quickly learned that it would be a money pit if I did it right. I sold the car to an enthusiast, bought a Toyota Celica, and went back to college. I still have a soft spot in my heart for Mustangs, and later had a '93 5.0 coupe, then an '01 GT convertible (both 5 speed manual). I would love a new 5.0 with 412 hp. Money dictates what we can buy, and I'm glad that I can afford an inexpensive Honda.

7. LookingCurious

LookingCurious New Member

Albums:
    I watch these auctions all the time on Speed. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted