Barry Manilow...Shoulder Pads?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_ScaredLittleBoy, Feb 24, 2008.

1. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

Unexpected Thread of '08?

It's just that I've been watching Barry Manilow videos on Youtube recently. I like how he does different arrangements for live songs, different to the album versions...

Anyway, his shoulders look ridiculously broad. Are they shoulder pads or is he an anatomical anomaly?

YouTube - Barry Manilow - Mandy (live)

Also, he hardly opens his mouth when he sings...that's strange too? Or have I just been watching too many Manilow videos? :redface: lol.

2. Catchoftheday

Gold Member

You've watched one BM video, thats far too much, you really need to get out more :tongue::biggrin1:

3. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Suddenly I'm craving Angel reruns.
    Bloody hell.

4. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

All i could see was his big fuckin' nose. Thats one mad honker. He must use a bed sheet to blow his nose...

5. Principessa

Gold Member

Yes, he does wear shoulder pads. He started in the late 70's early 80's and never stopped.

No, there is no such thing as watching too many Barry Manilow videos. :smile:

As you may have surmised I have loved Mr. Manilow for decades now, he has an incredible talent and is a true entertainer. Unfortunately he is rarely given the respect he so deserves. I think this is due to his early career as a jingle writer. Then again he wrote some of the best damned product jingles ever, so I don't know what the deal is. :confused:

6. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I really think that he is wearing the shoulder pads to detract from his nose and grandma hairstyle... but I dunno. I was a HUGE Manilow fan when I was a little kid (born in 1973) and still enjoy his music to this day. I haven't put his CD on in years though, it's hard to find a "Manilow moment" these days.

7. What to do?

What to do? New Member

Definite shoulder pads! He must be a little guy (pure assumption)
    I had always heard of Barry Manilow, but had never actually seen him perform.

8. arthurdent

Gold Member

Albums:
    In that Mandy video, the wide shoulders make him look like David Byrne in Talking Heads' film Stop Making Sense. As for the mouth thing, I saw him on Parkinson a few months ago, and noticed the restricted jaw movement, as if it had been wired closed. Perhaps he has false teeth and worries they might drop out if he opens his mouth too much. I used to be a fan of his in the 70s too but he's more asspciated with the blue-rinse brigade these days.

9. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

So I was right then. After I clicked Submit I thought maybe they were his natural shoulders and they might just be that broad cos he's American :tongue: (some Americans can be quite broad). Also, the restricted jaw movement is kind of strange...

:biggrin1:

10. SteveHd

Gold Member

I watched part of the video and in the part I saw, I saw nothing peculiar. I think the lack of jaw movement is due to video compression.

He looks amazing for his age!

Over the years, I went through a cycle: I liked him went he first started recording, then I'd heard him so many times I got tired of him and couldn't stand him, after many years of obscurity I came around to liking him again.

11. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ok, got free tickets to his Vegas concert. It was entertaining...but the audience was made up of the freakiest people ever. He had pads on with the jacket and though his face looked frozen..he looked good I guess. At the point where he is on the lift over the stage and shaking his ass it just was too much. So while I enkoyed the night...it was more of a 40 buck show and not a penny more. People had payed bank to see him too.

Draft saved Draft deleted