Barry Stokes

Discussion in 'Celebrity Endowments' started by Manraker, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Manraker

Manraker Member

Does anyone know more about Barry Stokes, the British actor? I recently watched the old BBC series TOM BROWN'S SCHOOLDAYS, which by the way, has some mighty impressive bulge moments among the older students, and was smitten with this handsome actor who plays Brooke. He apparently later appeared in some sexy film called Ups and Downs of a Handyman. Any clips or pix? It is not available here in the States. Thanks!

2. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

Haha, to call The Ups and Downs of a Handyman 'sexy' is pushing things a little far... if you can imagine an overlong and repetitive episode of The Benny Hill Show with lots of slapstick, unsubtle innuendo and a thoroughly unsexy style of rushed, functional camerawork... then you're nearer the mark! It was intended to be the first in a series, but was scrapped after this first episode flopped so badly.

The thing that does stick in my mind above all is the bouncy little theme tune, which Barry Stokes also sang. He was married to co-star Gay Soper at the time, and kept on acting into the mid-1980s, before disappearing from view.

He has a brief scene with frontal nudity in Ups and Downs... where he's being chased, Benny Hill-style, across a tennis court by a bevy of man-hungry women. (see attachment).

Attached Files:

3. Manraker

Manraker Member

Alex, not only are you gorgeous and hung like a camel but you have the most amazing encyclopedic knowledge of esoterica. I thank you. Manraker

4. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

I do flag up the "b-movies" thing on my profile, y'know. :wink:

Barry Stokes was born in 1944, by the way. :smile:

5. Matthew

Gold Member

Watch out, he spits like one, too

Draft saved Draft deleted