Bart Stupak Retires...ObamaCare casualty...more to come

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
Wow. Seems the deal made with Obama didn't work out too well for Stupak or the Democrat Party.

Rep. Bart Stupak to retire, casualty of health care reform battle
The retirement of Rep. Bart Stupak, the Michigan Democrat who shot to prominence over the abortion issue in the healthcare reform debate, represents a blow to the Democratic Party in its battle to retain control of the House this fall.
CSMonitor

Casualty of ObamaCare

Bart Stupak retires due to low levels of public support for health-care reform

Bart Stupak, the co-chair of the House Pro-Life Caucus, played a pivotal role in the passage of ObamaCare last month when he announced his last-minute support for the measure. Pro-life groups that had previously supported him accused him of betrayal, claiming he accepted a watered-down compromise that allows federal funds to be used for abortions.
While Mr. Stupak has expressed frustration at the anger directed against him, the political calculus of his district probably played a more important role in his decision today to retire. He faced a primary opponent from his party's left as well as other political headaches. Just last night, buses from the Tea Party Express movement rolled into Mr. Stupak's district for the first of four rallies -- presumably they will now be taking something akin to a victory lap.
Wall Street Journal

Levi

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Do you think this CONNTOM is real or is he just the figment of some right wing pressure group?

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Democrat wins Florida US House Race

BOCA RATON, Fla. — Republican backlash over President Barack Obama's health care overhaul had little effect in the nation's first U.S. House race of 2010. Florida Democratic state Sen. Ted Deutch handily won Tuesday's special election to replace retiring Democratic U.S. Rep. Robert Wexler after his underdog GOP opponent attempted to make the contest a referendum on the massive health care bill.

With 100 percent of precincts reporting, Deutch, an attorney, had 62 percent of the vote compared to 35 percent for Republican Ed Lynch. Lynch had hoped public disdain for the health care bill and low congressional approval ratings would help him upset Deutch, widely seen as the front-runner. He sought to do what Republican Scott Brown did in Massachusetts when he won the Senate seat held for nearly a half-century by Democrat Edward M. Kennedy.

Lynch lambasted the health care overhaul as a government takeover and the gutting of Medicare, while Deutch told voters it would provide immediate relief. Lynch had also slammed Obama's stimulus bill as doing little to help the economy and called the president's timetable to withdraw troops from Iraq "moronic." Deutch said he would have voted for the health care overhaul and the stimulus bill and supports Obama's Iraq strategy.
"I have never before felt the way that I feel at this moment," Deutch said to cheering supporters. "We've heard for months now that tonight is a referendum on health care. It’s a referendum on the [Obama] administration. It’s a referendum on the direction this country is going. Let me tell you something: What we learned today is that in Broward County and Palm Beach County Florida, the Democratic Party is alive and well."

Last edited:
D

deleted15807

Democrat wins Florida US House Race

BOCA RATON, Fla. — Republican backlash over President Barack Obama's health care overhaul had little effect in the nation's first U.S. House race of 2010. Florida Democratic state Sen. Ted Deutch handily won Tuesday's special election to replace retiring Democratic U.S. Rep. Robert Wexler after his underdog GOP opponent attempted to make the contest a referendum on the massive health care bill.

Ha...isn't that sweet.

conntom

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Do you think this CONNTOM is real or is he just the figment of some right wing pressure group?

Ha ha.

Send me some more PM's about how you don;t like me....

Yawn.

I'm so not right wing but fiscally very conservative and I do not like big gov't.

Socially I'm more liberal or at least middle of the road but label as you wish.

It hurts me not. But what is apparent - people on the far left have leave no room for any disagreement with them. If you are not far left they will shout at you, call you names, insult your intelligence - tolerance is not in their vocabulary.

It tells a lot of the far left that they can not stand anyone with a different viewpoint. It isn't very American.