Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
How could they possibly leave out:
To, Two, Too
???

Weird/Wierd is understandable, mainly because we're always taught "I before E, except after C", which is why I think it's so frequently misspelled.

Its/It's is most typically confused, because 's (apostrophe "s") is most often used to show possession. John's book... Queen's English... So for many, "it's" follows that pattern.

However, it's also used to show the contraction of ___ and is. "It is" becomes "it's", "he is" goes to "he's". Then again, "John is" contracts to "John's", so... They should explain that example better.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
As I said, it's only a starting off point, but they're heading in the right direction. Chances are that the people who need instruction most will be the ones who don't read it though.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I found that rather charming. I can't tell you how many times I've seen bad tattoos that claim "Born to loose." Yeah, they don't even get the right to/too/two in there.

Too bad the author left out "irregardless." Every time someone says "irregardless" god kills a puppy.

But he/she restricted the list to just ten (10) things.

Now, if someone could come up with an easy-to-follow chart on the use of transitive and intransitive verbs, there are six or seven posters in the Political Forum who would benefit from such a kind gesture.

accemb

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Loved it ! So reminds me of my 8th grade elementary school teacher, who often gave us pop quizzes on "defining the parts of speech". The one that stands out in my mind is that "Oh!" is an 'ejaculation'.......

patrick222

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The words may and might are grossly misused . " may cause stomach upset " should be "might cause stomach upset" Might means a chance , a possibility. May denotes permission or polite manners. May I have another cup of coffee ? May I borrow the car ?

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I found that rather charming. I can't tell you how many times I've seen bad tattoos that claim "Born to loose." Yeah, they don't even get the right to/too/two in there.

Too bad the author left out "irregardless." Every time someone says "irregardless" god kills a puppy.

But he/she restricted the list to just ten (10) things.

Now, if someone could come up with an easy-to-follow chart on the use of transitive and intransitive verbs, there are six or seven posters in the Political Forum who would benefit from such a kind gesture.
I love irregardless! How hard is it to understand that something is not regaurdless? sheesh :wink:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The words may and might are grossly misused . " may cause stomach upset " should be "might cause stomach upset" Might means a chance , a possibility. May denotes permission or polite manners. May I have another cup of coffee ? May I borrow the car ?
Your judgments are highly eccentric and do not reflect common usage, past or present. "May" concerns a present possibility, "might" a counterfactual or past possibility. It is irrelevant whether the possibility is a matter of permission or not. If someone says, "I may go out later," he is obviously speaking correctly and obviously does not mean, "I permit myself to go out later." Yes, the word "may" is used in matters of permission, but that is not and never has been the limit of its use.