Bathroom Remodel Tears

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by CUBE, Jun 1, 2010.

1. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    OK, I admit, it is making me crazy. I have just a regular sized bath tub fiberglass unit that needs to be removed then replace with a tile shower. I also want them to tile the remaining floor which is about 5 x 6 feet. It seems if I am supplying the tile...5 grand is steep to ask for in labor. It just doesn't look like that big of a job. I don't want them to work for free 5 grand seems high. Any of you had a similar project and what is the range I should be paying? I don't think after teaching all year I can find the strength to do it myself. I might be just venting...I think I need a drink. Ideas?

2. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    thadjock could probably offer some good advice

3. tdorrow

tdorrow New Member

ok you most definatly need to do alot of the work yourself alot of that stuff isnt that hard especially taking out the old fiberglass tub and just log into DIY.com for some tips on doing the rest of it yourself its the best bet to save you the cash and if you run into trouble you can have someone fix it and chances are it will not cost as much because they arent redoing the entire project

4. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    FIVE FREKIN' GRAND????? AND YOU'RE SUPPLYING THE TILE????

Tell ya' what. For FOUR grand I'll come tile your bathroom myself.

Seriously, you can do this yourself. Run on down to Home Depot and order up a shower base (you'll need to get one that fits the space of that standard tub, unless you want to get into moving the location of your drain pipe, which I wouldn't advise. They also have some pretty spiffy shower enclosures you can special order, along with everything else you'd need to do the job. It's fairly easy once you get the hang, and even theraputic if you do it a little at a time. Besides, you're only 45. Oughta be no sweat.

5. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    You should get some other offers. Don't ever accept the first offer from contractors. Nor should you get discouraged.

5000 sounds high for what you described, but it depends on the conditions. Is the house very old? Is there water damage behind the old enclosure which will need repairing? Is the floor level? Does the plumbing need to be moved? Sometimes a contractor will have to quote high just to cover their butt if they think they may run into unforeseen problems.

If you are reasonably handy, you can do a straightforward tiling job yourself. But if you mess up, it is very hard to repair it. It may look easy, but a good professional will make a noticeably better job in the evenness, the spacing, the cleanness and the layout.

I always think it is better to pay for a good job. The bad memory of spending extra money doesn't last as long as looking at a shoddy job every day for years and years.

6. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I had a crew from Home Depot come in to run tile, grout and finishing trim (including first stripping out the existing linoleum) in two bathrooms and my laundry room for less than half that amount...labor and materials. It was done in two days with a satisfaction guarantee.

Get some more bids.

7. earllogjam

Gold Member

That's about right, $5000. A complete renovation of a standard sized bathroom usually runs about $18,000 demolition, fixtures, material and labor in the Bay Area. It probably runs about the same in your area.

If you're thinking of doing some of the work yourself I'd have the professional contractor install the tub and do the waterproofing of the shower/tub surround including the hardiboard tile backer for both the shower wall and floor. And a professional licensed plumber hook up the new fixtures.

You can do the tile work yourself if the tile layout is simple, if you are good at detail and have a lot of patience. The tile work takes time if you are a beginner. Larger tiles are quicker and easier to set that the small ones. There's less tiles to install also so it goes faster. So if you haven't already picked a tile and you're thinking of doing it yourself then I'd consider larger tiles.

If you are bad at detail work you will regret doing the tile work yourself because not only will it look bad but you'll have to live with it and/or pay someone to redo it all.

Get a tile book and see what it all entails before you decide to do it on your own.

8. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

Go buy a pre-fab shower unit for that size of space, and put an ad up on Craigslist for a licensed installer to come do the work. In this market, you can easily find someone who is out of work, who knows what they are doing, and will do it for like $1,000-$1,250 in labor (if not less. a 2 man crew should be able to finish the job in one full work day). The unit itself shouldn't run you more than $1,250... And even if you have a small door leading into the bathroom that needs to be knocked out to move it in, and then reinstalled, it shouldn't cost you more than $3,000 tops.

This isn't 2005. This is a client's market, BIG TIME.

http://video.bobvila.com/m/21319539/shower-stall-install.htm

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/buildbathenclosure

http://homerenovations.about.com/od/bathrooms/f/fiberglasortile.htm

#8 B_talltpaguy, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  9. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

If you never tiled before I can see why you don't want to do a wet room tile job all by yourself - though honestly it's not that tough a job if you are willing to apply your intelligence. I will say tiling walls is a lot easier than floors, floors vary greatly depending what you are tiling over. There are plenty of good DIY sites with excellent guides (written and video) and even for a wet room as long as you use the right materials (waterproof tile adhesive, etc.) you can do a good job.

I also disagree with vince that a pro will always do a better job of spacing and line. Read the guides - they tell you exactly how to that. Once you have the principle it's very easy. I've done a better job of 2 bathrooms (OK one and half) than the pros did on my parents' bathroom.

But that's not the point - you don't say you can't, you say you don't want to. And I get that. $5k to remove a tub, install a shower unit and lay tiles that you provide does sound steep. Are they also remodelling the area where the tub is now. I mean if you are going to have a shower there you need at very least a drain. What way are you asking the shower to be delimited? Maybe that's driving the cost up and, as tall suggests, you may be better with a prefab shower unit.

Either way, you definitely need other quotes. Ask around for contractors' numbers from friends who've had work done. Go to Home Depot and ask them.

#9 ManlyBanisters, Jun 2, 2010
  10. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

avoid handymen and unlicensed contractors. you get what you pay for. in California, you have no recourse against an unlicensed contractor if something goes wrong (per Contractors State Licensing Board). CSLB limits what jobs a handyman can do (something like a max of $500). Good comment about looking for hungry contractors. Verify the contractor is licensed and insured. ask for references.

Good luck...

11. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

I'd like to have my old bathrub (with shower) removed however it seems to be castiron and fits wall-to-wall. I think it would have to be cut in to and removed. I'd like to have a fiberglass shower stall installed it its place. I have called a company like Bath Fitters twice but they don't seem to want any new business. :confused:

12. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    Wow! $5k! Tiling isn't that hard! TheBF and I even make mosaics and border patterns out of stone tile using our tile saw.

We recently had an entire bathroom, a storage room, and a kitchen built and it only cost us $10k for labor and supplies. We got a lot of the supplies off Craigslist, including all of the cabinets for only $500, but still. We're DIY-ers, but $5k just for tiling your bath sounds outrageously high to me.

#12 petite, Jun 2, 2010
  13. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    depending on your skillset, that might be do it urself project. u don't have to cut the old tub out, u only need 2 tools, sledge hammer and safety goggles. swing hard right in the middle of the front it will shatter. carry out the pieces, and then strip the walls. then if ur not confident about the rest, u can call a plumber to do the new shower control and drain, and put in a new fiberglass module. if u have a standard 5' tub they make tons of fiberglass units that will fit the exact same space.

but turn the water off first in case you break a pipe by accident.

14. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    It really depends on what they are doing. If they have to move existing piping, replace water damaged area's etc. My bf does remodeling for a living right now while he's finishing school. The problem with a shower and doing it yourself is making sure you get the pitch correct for drainage. You do not want to stand in a puddle. If you are interested in trying yourself some places offer classes on tiling. You can buy spacers and get great lines when you do it yourself. I used to think it would be difficult until I helped my boyfriend. Also if you use a contractor find out if they guarantee their work. Get several quotes.

15. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks guys for the advice. Seriously. There is no damage to the area. The bathtub/shower that is there is fiberglass and I believe with good body coverage I can cut it out. I have been told the drain should be moved over to the center. That move seems tough to do. I think if everything was taken to the point of the tiling I could indeed do it. I am good with detail in craft type projects. What I have found in the market is that some guys aren't working as much and want to make up the loss in a single project. The appliances in the house have been purchased with great deals but the installation I have found has been steep in comparison to what people think the market calling for. I knew I could get good advice from you guys. LPSG rocks.

16. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    well i'm afraid i haven't got good news. i'm in LA, and we just finished a project along those lines for a client (we tore out a big fiberglass whirlpool tub and replaced it with a shower) and the tile labor (owner bought the tile) for a new tile shower (4'x7') and tile on the bathroom floor a little bigger than yours (approximately 72 sq ft) was $6700.

u could shop it around but u definitely don't want a hack doing ur tile work. especially in a shower, setting aside the appearance issue, there's alot of things that need to be done right , exactly right, in order to prevent leaks and structural problems.

the reality is kitchens and baths are the two most expensive rooms in your house to rehab, a good plumber in LA goes for $90/hr, and tile setters are around $45-$55/hr. for the guys we work with (some charge more)

ur best bet is to move in next door to a sexy tradesman neighbor and barter exchange.......something ....

#16 thadjock, Jun 2, 2010
  17. beachboywb

beachboywb New Member

Albums:
    5K sounds about right, I'm afraid, but I will tell you I did my gf's mothers bathroom last year and it was a bitch of a bathroom we completly gutted it down to studs and started over. we put in a tile shower floor and walls and tiled the joining wall and that was using fairly larger tile with a accent tile running thru it.... and that was pretty much my introduction to tile work.....but knowing that I had more coming up in my future I went out and purchased a good wet tile saw...(which you can rent at home depot or lowes) for the job, and just took my time and when I got frustrated a good piece of advice is to walk away and come back to it in a little while....make sure you mark your tile with a grease pencil not a sharpie ( like my gf did---sharpie ink is a bitch to get off when you need to clean off the tile) when your making your cuts, and just take your time, and you can always trim the cuts down with the saw blade so cut less not more so you don't waste tile....as far as moving your drain, if your drain is working okay and not in your way---I wouldn't suggest moving it, as thadjock what he thinks but we didn't move ours and its been there for 56 years and still drains like it was brand new...

18. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    ya if the drain is already where u want it, and it's not leaking now, there's no reason to move it, cuz moving it is $$$. 2 exceptions come to mine 1) if your DWV system is some sketchy cast iron and you won't have access to it later if it rots out, nows the time to change it, and 2) usually a tub drain is very close to the wall and it would be normal to place a shower drain more centered in the space. either way you will need a new drain fitting installed on the drain pipe if you're going from a tub to a shower because they're made different and the existing tub drain fitting won't work for the shower.

19. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

Shop around, whenever I get a quote for any job I always get at least 3 different ones so I can compare them. Getting a bathroom done is one of those difficult things because when it's done right you don't necessarily notice the quality of workmanship, but boy-oh-boy you will notice if it's done badly.

20. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    this, and vince's:

I always think it is better to pay for a good job. The bad memory of spending extra money doesn't last as long as looking at a shoddy job every day for years and years.

are priceless pieces of advice,

but i know first hand that it's very difficult to convince people of that b4 the fact. and I've actually had them call me to redo the work after they hired the guy who under-bid me to do it the first time.

Draft saved Draft deleted