BBC's 'Frozen Planet'...

S

superbot

..I'm amazed that this fantastic new documentary will be shown in the U.S MINUS the final episode,as it covers global warming,which apparently half of all Americans don't believe in.So to avoid 'upsetting' viewers it won't be shown.Does this seem possible??....:eek:

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
..I'm amazed that this fantastic new documentary will be shown in the U.S MINUS the final episode,as it covers global warming,which apparently half of all Americans don't believe in.So to avoid 'upsetting' viewers it won't be shown.Does this seem possible??....:eek:
Doesn't upset me a bit. I am heartened by the fact that half of all Americans know how to reject junk science.

pacethepace

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
All is possible with the BBC. They are lily livered wankers who try to be all things to all people, which seldom works, and they do not want to alienate a sizeable portion of their audience.
Americans - during the election cycle - could misinterpret that episode as interference in their domestic affairs. Interesting how the so called impartial BBC will make editorial decisions based on commercial considerations like any other news outlet.
Shame on you BBC 'publish and be dammed' or are the commercial interests of BBC Worldwide more important than telling the unpalatable - inconvenient - truth as Al Gore would have it. A bit like the BBC not broadcasting certain subject areas that can be picked via the satellite 'footprint' in mainland China.

Anton

ScotRandom

Cherished Member
Media
A Galaxy Far Far Away, LPSG, KIK & Fab Swingers. A
Sexuality
No Response
Well as I haven't seen it in the UK yet I have no idea what the message is or the viewpoint which this excellent programme is going to take. I'd like to think I'd keep an open mind on whatever the focus is going to be. I'm a little dismayed that any country that supposedly stands up for free speech would censor an entire episode of an outstanding documentary by not showing it. Maybe they are not as open-minded or as bothered about free speech as they say. Meanwhile in Cairo people are actually dying in the streets for daring to tell their leaders they really do believe in something.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Doesn't upset me a bit. I am heartened by the fact that half of all Americans know how to reject junk science.

Perhaps your post will eventually be claimed to have been one of those "ironic" calls out.* If so, curious. Otherwise, it seems quite the stark statement in a very grey area.

Junk science

Climate change

* See previous incidences of such.

S

superbot

What source says the final episode won't be shown in the USA?
Daily Mail newspaper.Confirmed by the BBC...China (the worlds biggest polluter) won't be showing all the episodes either..Politics poltiics politics!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

bobbyboyle

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Perhaps your post will eventually be claimed to have been one of those "ironic" calls out.* If so, curious. Otherwise, it seems quite the stark statement in a very grey area.

Junk science

Climate change

* See previous incidences of such.
Indeed.

I am not surprised by this news, unfortunately (that's if it's true - the Daily Fail has a somewhat interesting history reporting on such issues). It is a convenient thing for those nations who pollute the most to censor, keeps alive the fabricated impression that there is no solid scientific consensus on the matter.

I'm glad that, largely, the BBC at home has the attitude that consensus and evidence are what matters and be damned if you're offended by it (see the whole storm in a teacup created by Prof. Brian Cox saying astrology is 'nonsense' on live TV). What people believe has no bearing on factual information and so, in a perfect world, shouldn't interfere with factual programming.

bobbyboyle

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Consensus doesn't matter at all to the scientific method. What on earth gave you that idea?
I know that, you are speaking to a scientist. Where consensus does matter is to the policy-makers. If they play on the fact that most voters are not knowledgeable enough or interested enough in studying the science, they can present a topic as being highly controversial when, in fact, the science is sound and overwhelmingly supportive of climate change. It's a bit like the 'Teach the Controversy' argument.

If 95% of studies draw conclusion A, and 5% are inconclusive or draw another conclusion, it would be somewhat misleading and/or arrogant, would it not, to ignore the science in the 95% or label it junk?

bobbyboyle

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Studies don't draw conclusions, people do. Data speak for themselves, and with a little education, a person can make up his or her own mind.

Are you Phineas or Ferb, Mr. "Scientist"?
Studies are generally analyses of the data carried out by people, drawing conclusions. Papers will, almost always, be mostly analysis. Employing incorrect statistical analyses to a dataset can have a drastic effect on the results. Data can be made to give, intentionally or not, a misleading message about the process being studied.

I am glad you are so optimistic about the average person's ability to garner an in-depth understanding of a complex scientific topic like climate change with only "a little education". I do not share that optimism, sadly.

Also, is there really the need for the antagonistic tone?

bobbyboyle

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Fuzzy doesn't know about all this scientificky stuff, but Fuzzy is glad that his heating bill is getting lower.
*scratches Fuzzy behind the ear*
Aww. Being so fuzzy, Fuzzy, I can't imagine your bill ever gets too high anyway.