Bbucko's Bbusy July

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Financial considerations and other matters have prevented me from straying too far from home for the last six years, much as I've always loved to travel, it's been neither within the means of my pocketbook nor my overall well-being.

This July will be somewhat different, whoever. I have been fully-funded to attend a conference on the ADAP crisis from July 4-8, complete with liberal access to the Hospitality Suite and a generous food allowance. Expect a full report on what I've learned regarding the appalling ADAP (yep, AIDS-related) barbarity currently perpetuated by the current HHS/Obama Admin and, hopefully, have an answer or two in my vest upon return.

In what is surely the most surreal event of the last few years, my parents, separated since 1975 and divorced in 1981, have decided to re-unite. Let's just say that, while it's an oddly not-horrible thing for two drug-addicted drunks to find solace in each others' company over 30 years later, it leaves the kids...perplexed.

Nevertheless, my dad has been trying to make amends; provided my mother doesn't misbehave too horribly in the bargain, she's been shoved in my face as a bargaining chip: we were estranged for over 20 years. It's all very strange. but I've accepted a week's long invite to their home in the Berkshires from 7/14-23. I presume that my limp will be no worse than before :cool:

So if you notice that I post less, it's not a case of abandonment. And, FWIW, I detest swan-dive threads: this isn't one. Expect full-jacket Bbucko back in August, with live-blogs from the front(s) as I can in between, not owning a laptop and all. Maybe Dad'll feel guilty enough to get me one :rolleyes:

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Have as much of a good time as you can at ADAP and enjoy the week with the family. Or is that the other way around?!? :wink:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Have as much of a good time as you can at ADAP and enjoy the week with the family. Or is that the other way around?!? :wink:

ADAP means AIDS Drug Assistance Program, and there are currently thousands of individuals waiting in line, more than half in FL.

If the meds keep you alive, it's no joke.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
*eye twitch*

July = No Bbucko?

i might not make it til august *chews nails*

*twitch.... deep breath* the cause is worth the pause. :biggrin:

*smooches* until ya get back

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You'll be very much missed while you're gone. I must confess, my heart does a little jump of excitement when I see you've posted :redface::smile:.

Hope you have a productive time at ADAP and with your newly reunited parents :smile:.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Call me if you want tickets to a European escape fantasy, complete with Italian models, endless glamour, constant flow of champagne cocktails and the ego-massaging adoration of your biggest groupie. Have fun in Réunion. XX

D_Roland_D_Hay

Account Disabled
Media
Kick some ass at the ADAP conference. Its good to know that you will be there hopefully to voice your concerns. And good luck with the family thing...a laptop wouldn't be so bad :)

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
They might take you to McDonalds for lunch!

Well, my mother has finally admitted to being such a terrible cook that even she can no longer tolerate her own cooking, so we'll be eating out almost constantly, though I don't think they're really McDonald's folk.

*eye twitch*

July = No Bbucko?

i might not make it til august *chews nails*

*twitch.... deep breath* the cause is worth the pause. :biggrin:

*smooches* until ya get back

Gawd, if I had any anxiety meds I'd share some, ML :tongue:

Smooches back

You'll be very much missed while you're gone. I must confess, my heart does a little jump of excitement when I see you've posted :redface::smile:.

Hope you have a productive time at ADAP and with your newly reunited parents :smile:.

The conference should be fascinating. I attended the one held here in FtL in 2009, learned quite a bit and seemed to impress people with not just my questions but the degree of follow-up required before I felt I understood the response properly.

I'm also something of an known element within the organizing non-profit hosting the event: they commissioned several articles for their publications between 2008-09, until the bottom dropped out of their funding. To date, they remain my only paying client for writing and my only publisher.

Call me if you want tickets to a European escape fantasy, complete with Italian models, endless glamour, constant flow of champagne cocktails and the ego-massaging adoration of your biggest groupie. Have fun in Réunion. XX

Jeezuz! If it were as simple as asking I'd be headed northeast instead of just due-north :wink:

Something tells me that, were it to actually happen, we'd wind up with a better-hung and slightly more madcap version of AbFab without that dreadful daughter to lug around. Color me there.

Hhave a Ggreat Ttrip!:smile:

Hhope tto :biggrin1:

Have an excellent trip, and hopefully they have good news on the near horizon on treatment and options for the HIV+ community.
Give us uptades and photos...we want photos :)

I'll bring my camera but can't promise many pix: most people at the conference are actually living with the virus and can get skittish about having their picture taken.

As it's being held at the Westin Washington DC City Center, I'll be walking distance from all of the main sights. It's actually funny, but I've never even been to DC before except driving on the beltway on my way to Florida.

I'll post what I can.

Hope to speak with/see you soon.

Well, it's not like we rely on carrier pigeons or smoke signals, darling. I know that my phone has service in DC and believe it does in W Mass, too. We do owe ourselves an extended phone date, besides.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Just pretend you're writing a soap opera in 4 wekly installments! Have fun.

My life is actually way too unlikely for any soap opera, sweetheart: it would be considered just a little too far-fetched and over the top to merit consideration :rolleyes:

Kick some ass at the ADAP conference. Its good to know that you will be there hopefully to voice your concerns. And good luck with the family thing...a laptop wouldn't be so bad :)

I wrote quite a bit about this organization in the reply I wrote as you posted this, but count on my being especially passionate.

There are currently just over 8500 Americans on waiting lists to receive their life-saving meds, nearly 3600 of whom live in Florida. The last time we had waiting lists, in 2005, three men died in NC and there was a national outcry: how many will die this time?

Oh and the laptop: I'll probably live on my dad's until he decides I need my own; at least, that's the plan :cool:

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
There are currently just over 8500 Americans on waiting lists to receive their life-saving meds, nearly 3600 of whom live in Florida. The last time we had waiting lists, in 2005, three men died in NC and there was a national outcry: how many will die this time?

What is the waiting list for? Why can't they get meds right away?

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
What is the waiting list for? Why can't they get meds right away?

We have enough money for three (four if you're really counting) but not enough for Americans living with HIV/AIDS, and who are without private insurance to get their meds.

It's sick, tragic and something that could only happen here :mad:

B_Nicodemous

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Best to you Bb. Be safe in traveling and hoping that we can see some real change when it comes to healthcare in gen i this country and this inparticular Though i am not holding my breath.

Oh and good luck in the fam get together. Sounds like you will need it!

Side note:My parents divorced in 1981! Lol aybe ot was a good year for it?

I will miss your posts this month, but at least I have august to look forward to! :hug: till you get back. Miss you:kiss: