Beach Attire in Austalia and Italy

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by SolidPalm, Feb 28, 2009.

1. SolidPalm

SolidPalm Member

I'm going to Australia and Italy this summer. On the beach, do people in their 20s usually wear trunks/board shorts or speedos?

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

If you go to the right beaches in Australia you won't have to worry about wearing anything! For textile beaches...wear whatever you are most comfortable in!

3. B_ScottWilliamsonOC

B_ScottWilliamsonOC New Member

In Italy, I think wearing speedos would make you fit in. On vacations I go on, lots of Europeans wear speedos at the beach. In Australia, no clue.

4. poizen-ivy

poizen-ivy New Member

Albums:
    We wear boardies. You will have a higher chance of picking up too.
    We like the mystery in our men :wink:

Generally only old men wear speedos (Budgee smugglers) and gay men wear the TIGHT trunks.. (Not that they aren't nice to look at).

Go the boardies for sure and you'll be set. Also, don't pretend that the sun is going to be kind, we cook down here with no ozone, so sunscreen and a hat +sexy sunnies is the norm.

mmm Bondi surf life savers...
    HAVE FUN!!

5. mdawg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    when i was in italy generally only older men and really young kids wore speedos, normally most younger people wore just regular swim trunks, with the exeption of a few.

6. midlifebear

Gold Member

Rhus taxicodendron (poizon ivy) speaks the truth. Ain't nothing worse that having to worry about your tool in a banana hammock while frolicking at the beach. "Boardies" or what some may call clam diggers and others would recognize as surfer wear is the safest and most comfortable.

7. poizen-ivy

poizen-ivy New Member

Albums:
    and the sexiest :wink:

In this case, less is more!

8. perthjames

perthjames Member

It all depends on the beach. In the inner Eastern Suburbs of Sydney, speedos are pretty common. Beyond that, heading further north and south, board shorts are more common.

There's definitely an age difference, as younger guys hardly ever wear speedos to the beach.

My advice is to wear speedos under your boardies and you'll be fine, as you can then pick and choose according to the environment you find yourself in.

And as Poizen-Ivy points out, make sure you have lots of sun protection. The sun is pretty strong here, and if you're at all light-skinned, you'll have problems otherwise.

9. forever

forever Member

Albums:
    Most beaches i've been to in Sydney have got guys in speedos. Some days have more and/or better quality than others. Its the Australian way

10. poizen-ivy

poizen-ivy New Member

Albums:
    IMO Speedos are just TMI, i like the mystery!

11. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Another option is to wear gym shorts. I wear mesh gym shorts to the beach. There is a drawcord that keeps you from losing them when a big wave comes, and they are more comfortable than boardies or swimsuits with those horrible liners. You could wear a Speedo under them; I prefer to freeball.

12. systemshock3

systemshock3 Member

Albums:
    I could go on a rant against this, I really could, because it smacks of the kind of double-standard conservatism that seems to be applied all to frequently to men's clothing.

TMI?! Mystery?!@? No one seems to complain when women walk around with their tits out and a barely covered ass and vagina, regardless of what shape the woman might be in. I work my ass off in the gym4-5 days a week and run miles and miles around a tennis court hitting the bejeezus out of ball after ball, have a decent body...

ONLY to be forced by some bullshit 'TMI' clause that I have to wear a FUCKING ACRE OF FABRIC when I go to the beach?!?!?!?!?!? :mad::mad::cool::confused:

Since you are female...put on THREE Sarongs on top of each other...go swimming, and get out of the water, then tell ALL OF US how comfortable wearing all that wet fabric is. That's your damned 'boardies' and 'Mystery'.

I'm going to say this because it's what I think that would happen to fit what we are seeing with this sentiment: Somewhere, somehow, people became AFRAID of the idea of men having dicks, balls and asses. It's the only explanation for how women are ENCOURAGED to show more on beaches but men are supposed to cover up everything other than ABS and arms.

FUCK THAT. I work hard on my body, but I was BORN WITH A DICK AND BALLS just like women were BORN WITH BOOBS. Tell you what...you wear one of those surfer shirts to the beach ALL THE TIME to cover your boobs, and I'll wear the longest, baggiest pair of board shorts. THEN we'll be even. Until then, the entire 'Mystery' or 'TMI' argument is a bullshit double-standard...and WORSE is that it's managed to infect a lot of GAY MEN. Ugh...I've been following this thread try to hold back a response for a day or so now. But...there ya go. :redface:

13. graucho

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Systemshock - you have put my thoughts into words! I'm naturist and for me 'nothing's better'. But in a textile environment when laws and prudes insist on bits of nylon to cover what we all know is there, why the hell should we have to be wearing fabric flapping uncomfortably around our legs just to preserve mystery - you're on a beach, just don't go if you hate seeing bulges in speedos so much. In my lifetime men have gone from wearing the minimum possible to the maximum coverage - it'll be those blue and white striped 'knee to neck' things next - and all the sheep will wear them too!

14. poizen-ivy

poizen-ivy New Member

Albums:
    ROFL! You can't be serious?
    Over reacting much?

It's one persons opinion. So, I personally don't like seeing female OR males gear in my face. So what!?

For the record, I actually wear boardies myself and no, not the pussy hot-pants style, the knee length.

Chill the fuck out :biggrin1:

15. B_Giovani

B_Giovani New Member

I dont know about Australia, but in Italy most guy wear speedo type.

16. arthur

arthur New Member

Albums:
    To tell you the truth, wear what you feel comfortable in. You go to any decent beach you find anybody wearing everything from aussibum (barely hiding anything in white nylon while hoiking your cock up) to board shorts that can double for evening trousers if ya turn the cuff down.

So kit your self up in what you usually wear and have a rip roaring time. And from what I know of Australians they're not too bothered either way!!! And in Italy you'll never look like a local so dress as you do and make yourself a glorious tourist in Europe!! Whats not to like!?!?

17. sxy_vince

sxy_vince Member

I thought this seemed a bit unfair - Poison Ivy was merely expressing her opinion ... and she is entitled to her own preferences about what she finds attractive (just as you are).

But you are right, SystemShock, that it seems more acceptable for women to dress more skimpily whilst men dress more conservatively. And I can understand that you might find this frustrating.

I would suggest another explanation: perhaps it is not a genuine double standard, but rather a reflection of the differing preferences of heterosexual men and women. Many heterosexual women (like Poison Ivy) like a bit of mystery in terms of how men dress while most heterosexual men (like myself) want as little mystery as possible - ha ha! Hence heterosexuals dress accordingly.

To the original OP, board shorts might make sense in Australia, at least initially, until you see what other people are wearing and then you can decide whether to make the switch to speedos if you want. I haven't been to Italy so can't offer any advice about Italy beach attire.

18. slate_australis

slate_australis New Member

Albums:
    I personally don't like speedos on guys... boardies or nice pair of swim shorts I think looks better.

In Sydney - speedos are very common in the eastern suburbs... and it looks like you have the body to get away with them. But elsewhere... I'd stick to swim shorts of boardies. Outside of the "glamour-set" - the majority of people you'll find on a beach in Australia in speedos....really shouldn't be.

19. colefan

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    With your body, def speedo.

20. B_hardasarokkk

B_hardasarokkk New Member

Poizen- ouivey... dont hold back darling.

Draft saved Draft deleted