midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight

D_Myer_Dogasflees

Experimental Member
Media
You do realise that this is effectively destroying the primary information, just to create new information. if you transported your baby, you would have murdered the first one, just to create an identicle one

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
what is this thread doing here ?!

Hell if I know, I thought I put it under etc. As for transporting babies, I'm not that concerned. However, your welcome to atomically unzip my grand piano as long as an exact copy is rezipped closer to the fireplace. Of course, I know zipping is not the best metaphor for the quantum spin, but that's about as good as it's going to get for me this afternoon.

nicenycdick

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This really is amazing stuff. If they ever get entangled atoms to work at great distances (and this close) we will see another major jump in technology. It truly can make possible instantaneous data transfer over great distances.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You do realise that this is effectively destroying the primary information, just to create new information. if you transported your baby, you would have murdered the first one, just to create an identicle one

Should the technology ever become feasible (='Star-Trek-like'), I think murder would be an overly strong description of the process.

'Primary information' in our bodies gets destroyed and recreated all the time -- you don't have the same skin, or the same blood, or the same teeth you were born with; we've recently learned that (contrary to previous thinking on the subject) cells in the brain, including glia and neurons, regenerate, too.

And yet, we'd all consider me to be the same human being that was born 40-ish years ago, even though the cells in that human being have died and been replaced.

If we don't consider it to be murder when the body of cells is replaced over a long period of time, why should we consider it to be murder if the body of cells is replaced quickly. Is duration a legitimate factor in murder?

D_Kissimmee Coldsore

Experimental Member
Media
Very cool, entanglement is crazy.
Should the technology ever become feasible (='Star-Trek-like'), I think murder would be an overly strong description of the process.

'Primary information' in our bodies gets destroyed and recreated all the time -- you don't have the same skin, or the same blood, or the same teeth you were born with; we've recently learned that (contrary to previous thinking on the subject) cells in the brain, including glia and neurons, regenerate, too.

And yet, we'd all consider me to be the same human being that was born 40-ish years ago, even though the cells in that human being have died and been replaced.

If we don't consider it to be murder when the body of cells is replaced over a long period of time, why should we consider it to be murder if the body of cells is replaced quickly. Is duration a legitimate factor in murder?
The difference people would probably point out is that your cells replenish gradually through biological processes (you are mostly unchanging at any given time), but that would be like making a complete physical clone of yourself almost instantly and so are completely changed - there is no physical residue of you before whatsoever. I think that's what makes it different.